2009/10 NCAA basketball Thread

SouthernJet

• Replies 870
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Will they re-name the arena too? Dean built that program and anyone who follows it doing exactly that, following his legend.

You can't compare professional sports to college. Apples and oranges.

nah, just history,

thats like saying Yankees will always be Casey Stengels.

Its just great history, but great coaches can create great legacies also

Will they re-name the arena too? Dean built that program and anyone who follows it doing exactly that, following his legend.

You can't compare professional sports to college. Apples and oranges.

Using that logic Kansas will always be Phog Allen.

They won't name the Arena after Roy but I'm sure there will be things to honor Roy like a statue or naming the court(which I hate).

I love Dean, no one can ever replace him but as great as Dean was Roy will likely end up w/ more Nat'l Titles in alot less time at UNC.

Did Roy coach under Allen? Roy is a Smith disciple.

Using that logic Kansas will always be Phog Allen.

They won't name the Arena after Roy but I'm sure there will be things to honor Roy like a statue or naming the court(which I hate).

I love Dean, no one can ever replace him but as great as Dean was Roy will likely end up w/ more Nat'l Titles in alot less time at UNC.

b/c your team usually has an amazing run or amazing games in the BE Tourney.

As a Villanova fan, I watch the Big East Tourney, but I never really expect much. We have only won it once (under Lappas), and when we did we proceeded to lose in the first round of the NCAA's (I believe).

Jay Wright doesn't even seem to take the Big East tourney seriously.

'Cuse always plays their best ball during that tournament though. Always. Don't know why. The worst Syracuse teams in the Boeheim era still made a splash there.

Phog Allen's basketball resume doesn't come close to Dean Smith. Or how about the time frame difference when WIlliams took over KU?

Dean Smith will over shadow Roy Williams for the next 50 years.

I have also stated twice this is just my opinion.

:rl:

cr726 just get spanked and owned

Kentucky wins in OT at Mississippi State with their classless fans pelting the court with bottles. Reminds me of Cleveland Browns fans.

105193.jpg

The refs deserve to be pelted.

The officiating was horrific.

I can't remember a year in which the officiating was this bad in all of college basketball.

The refs deserve to be pelted.

The officiating was horrific.

I can't remember a year in which the officiating was this bad in all of college basketball.

Bulls**t. The refs called a good game. Mississippi State was just out matched against a team that totally out rebounded them on both boards.

Bulls**t. The refs called a good game. Mississippi State was just out matched against a team that totally out rebounded them on both boards.

Oh yes. :rolleyes:

Because Patrick Patterson throwing his shoulder into the defender's chest is DEFINITELY a blocking foul.

And a ball that John Wall "blocked" hit the backboard before he touched it. Goaltending.

Two blown calls within a span of a few minutes. A microcosm of the horrible ref'ing. Kentucky got all the calls.

Oh yes. :rolleyes:

Because Patrick Patterson throwing his shoulder into the defender's chest is DEFINITELY a blocking foul.

And a ball that John Wall "blocked" hit the backboard before he touched it. Goaltending.

Two blown calls within a span of a few minutes. A microcosm of the horrible ref'ing. Kentucky got all the calls.

You're just pissed Kentucky won. On the road no less against a conference team! :lol:

I will give you the point of the Wall block. That did hit the back board first. Take that two points away, and the Wildcats still win.

You're just pissed Kentucky won. On the road no less against a conference team! :lol:

I will give you the point of the Wall block. That did hit the back board first. Take that two points away, and the Wildcats still win.

Kentucky is better though. I'll give ya that. ;)

Phog Allen's basketball resume doesn't come close to Dean Smith. Or how about the time frame difference when WIlliams took over KU?

Dean Smith will over shadow Roy Williams for the next 50 years.

I have also stated twice this is just my opinion.

Phog Allen is one of the legendary names in basketball and he won 3 National titles.

I'm not sure if you actually pay attention to UNC basketball, everyone loves Dean but when a coach comes home and turns around a program and makes it a premiere program again by winning 2 titles in 5 years there aren't any Dean whispers.

Carolina was 8-20 in 2002, that was the first time they missed a Tourney since the 70s. They also missed in 2003 and the program was in disarray w/ multiple players threating to transfer if Doherty stayed. Roy took a big risk leaving KU and w/in 2 years he won the Heels first nat'l Title in 12 years and then lost his top 7 players from the title team and w/in a few more years had 2 more FFs and another Nat'l Title. Roy's legacy is more than secure.

And The Heels might end up with that record again this year...And it is BY FAR the worst season they have had under Roy.

Could be and it would be his worst record ever as a college coach. His 1st year at KU they were 19-12. I don't recall if they would have made the Tourney or not as they were ineligible but that's the only year one of his teams didn't make the Tourney and the only year he didn't win at least one NCAA Tourney game.

I'm not sure this team can get to 19-12, they lost again last night at ga tech. Only 5 reg season games to go.

Phog Allen is one of the legendary names in basketball and he won 3 National titles.

I'm not sure if you actually pay attention to UNC basketball, everyone loves Dean but when a coach comes home and turns around a program and makes it a premiere program again by winning 2 titles in 5 years there aren't any Dean whispers.

Carolina was 8-20 in 2002, that was the first time they missed a Tourney since the 70s. They also missed in 2003 and the program was in disarray w/ multiple players threating to transfer if Doherty stayed. Roy took a big risk leaving KU and w/in 2 years he won the Heels first nat'l Title in 12 years and then lost his top 7 players from the title team and w/in a few more years had 2 more FFs and another Nat'l Title. Roy's legacy is more than secure.

Could be and it would be his worst record ever as a college coach. His 1st year at KU they were 19-12. I don't recall if they would have made the Tourney or not as they were ineligible but that's the only year one of his teams didn't make the Tourney and the only year he didn't win at least one NCAA Tourney game.

I'm not sure this team can get to 19-12, they lost again last night at ga tech. Only 5 reg season games to go.

UNC would have to win out to finish 19-12. At this point as a fan Id be content picking up 2 more wins and finishing the season above .500

UNC would have to win out to finish 19-12. At this point as a fan Id be content picking up 2 more wins and finishing the season above .500

I want to see the guys improve and finish strong. I think 7-9 in the ACC w/ a win or 2 in the conf tourney will get them in. That means they have to finsih 4-1 in the reg season. It can be done, I think they'll win 3 and they'll have to upset either wake or duke on the road to get that 4th. I don't expect it to happen but who knows?

I don't pay attention to UNC basketball? Phog Allen won 1 legit NCAA title, the other 2 were Helms Nat'l titles.

Williams legacy is secure as the guy who help save the UNC Dean Smith built.

Williams built KU into a powerhouse, his powerhouse, Allen coached last year coaching KU was 1956. Williams took over in 1988 when the team was on NCAA violations.

This is just my opinion. Dean Smith is UNC and Roy Williams was KU.

I don't pay attention to UNC basketball? Phog Allen won 1 legit NCAA title, the other 2 were Helms Nat'l titles.

Williams legacy is secure as the guy who help save the UNC Dean Smith built.

Williams built KU into a powerhouse, his powerhouse, Allen coached last year coaching KU was 1956. Williams took over in 1988 when the team was on NCAA violations.

This is just my opinion. Dean Smith is UNC and Roy Williams was KU.

They didn't have an NCAA Tourney early in Phog's career but he won 3 nat'l titles. Roy is a part of KU history but when you think KU you think Phog Allen and James Naismith before Roy.

Roy took over at KU on the Heels of a KU National Title, he didn't win one at KU. He didn't take over some middle of the road program and make them elite, he took an elite school that was going to be temporarily down b/c of violations and returned them back to elite but didn't win a title.

Dean and Roy will be UNC. Roy is beloved in Chapel Hill despite what is going on this year.

Of course Williams is beloved in Chapel Hill, my opinion is of more from outside of the UNC faithful.

They didn't have an NCAA Tourney early in Phog's career but he won 3 nat'l titles. Roy is a part of KU history but when you think KU you think Phog Allen and James Naismith before Roy.

Roy took over at KU on the Heels of a KU National Title, he didn't win one at KU. He didn't take over some middle of the road program and make them elite, he took an elite school that was going to be temporarily down b/c of violations and returned them back to elite but didn't win a title.

Dean and Roy will be UNC. Roy is beloved in Chapel Hill despite what is going on this year.

Of course Williams is beloved in Chapel Hill, my opinion is of more from outside of the UNC faithful.

I don't think he is worried about, his legacy is secure. He was the best coach in CBB in the decade of the 00s and the prospects for a great next decade are there as well. The Heels will be back next year and Roy is a major reason why.

Maybe Roy should of called Wall after last season like he told him we would? Wall stated he wanted to go to UNC and Roy never called him like he said he would.

I don't think he is worried about, his legacy is secure. He was the best coach in CBB in the decade of the 00s and the prospects for a great next decade are there as well. The Heels will be back next year and Roy is a major reason why.

Maybe Roy should of called Wall after last season like he told him we would? Wall stated he wanted to go to UNC and Roy never called him like he said he would.

I like that he didn't compromise his integrity going after him. Obviously the heels would be much better and a Tourney team w/ him but he has that sleazy Clifton w/ him.

If Wall wanted to go to UNC as bad as he said he would have staye daway from Clifton.

Archived