Tim McCarver -"the emergence of Brian Bruney"

MagicBizkit87

While, not this specific comment was made about supposed McCarver allegiances, I have seen comments on boards about McCarver being a "Yankee hater".

I have never watched a game where Tim McCarver actually slowed the pace of the game though announcing alone.

Yankee hater? This thread says nothing about him being one, well at least I've never called him a Yankee hater. Steve Phillips, and Peter Gammons, now those are Yankee haters, and that's obvious. Tim McCarver, he just doesn't have the knowledge of the New York Yankees organization. That's all I've been basically saying, and like I've been saying, the people on Fox they treat him like he knows everything, just like he knows Brian Bruney has been lighting it up lately... LOL

Yankee hater? This thread says nothing about him being one., well at least I've never called him a Yankee hater. Steve Phillips, and Peter Gammons, now those are Yankee haters, and that's obvious. Tim McCarver, he just doesn't have the knowledge of the New York Yankees organization. That's all I've been basically saying.

National people will not have a local team's perspective. I think that is a given

National people will not have a local team's perspective. I think that is a given

I'm just sick of them treating him like he knows everything about every organization in sports. The guy that was announcing with him acted like a complete idiot, and acted like Tim McCarver knew everything there was, and is about the game of baseball.

Sometimes I just think he gets more respect then he deserves.

It is their job to know at least the roles of the players on which he will be commenting. It's called pre-game research. And it is clear year in and year out that McCarver only reads up on the "human interest" nonsense so that he can spew out some silly little antecdote about a player's aunt's cookie baking skills. Then he'll harp on it all game.

The guy is a complete hack.

Yankee hater? This thread says nothing about him being one, well at least I've never called him a Yankee hater. Steve Phillips, and Peter Gammons, now those are Yankee haters, and that's obvious. Tim McCarver, he just doesn't have the knowledge of the New York Yankees organization. That's all I've been basically saying, and like I've been saying, the people on Fox they treat him like he knows everything, just like he knows Brian Bruney has been lighting it up lately... LOL

Steve Phillips is pathological. Gammons at least gives credit when its due.

McCarver just makes maddeningly obnoxious and stupid comments.

Steve Phillips is pathological. Gammons at least gives credit when its due.

McCarver just makes maddeningly obnoxious and stupid comments.

Earlier in this thread, I asked for announcers (baseball) that you like, and why.

It is so easy to criticize, let's turn it around and give some bouquets.

C'mon Jetnation,do ya have it in ya to be positive?

Let's create a list of announcers admired in baseball. I will start and expect others to be added to it:

-Vin Scully-No one paints a picture than he. No ego, let's the game speak for itself and knows when to let a moment be a moment that is shared between viewer and images.

-Matt Vasgersian-Just plain fun and entertaining. Makes you feel he has an enjoyable time watching the game and brining it to you.

Ron Darling-Analytical, and looks at things from a former players perspective. let's you know what the players may be thinking and why.

Tim McCarver-Invented the way the new breed of broadcasters approach analyzing game action. Takes his catcher perspective (knowing where everyone needs to be on the field and what they should be doing) and translates that to his announcing.

Don Sutton- Even when he was a Braves announcer, and I hated the team, I still got something from Sutton. A down home approach that translates well to listening.

I am sure I will think of many others that I missed, and others won't agree. It is great to have the baseball package and hear the different announcers. The Brewers and Giants are a team that I enjoy too. I do not listen to a whole lot of AL teams.

Definately agree with Vin Scully and Ron Darling. I remember listening to Scully do the NBC Game of the Week when I was a kid. No one can touch him. Love the SNY team of Darling and Hernandez, I learn something everytime I watch a Mets game.

Some other baseball announcers that I have admired...

Tony Kubek: Best color guy the Yankees ever had. It's a shame that Steinbrenner ran him out of town.

Jim Kaat: Another great color guy that the Yankees got rid of. Didn't tow the party line.

Sean McDonough: Great play-by-play announcer. Remember him doing games for CBS after Jack Buck in the early 90's. Not sure why ESPN doesn't give him more games.

Gary Cohen: Not so much for his TV work, but he is one the best radio play-by-play guys I have ever listened to.

Definately agree with Vin Scully and Ron Darling. I remember listening to Scully do the NBC Game of the Week when I was a kid. No one can touch him. Love the SNY team of Darling and Hernandez, I learn something everytime I watch a Mets game.

Some other baseball announcers that I have admired...

Tony Kubek: Best color guy the Yankees ever had. It's a shame that Steinbrenner ran him out of town.

Jim Kaat: Another great color guy that the Yankees got rid of. Didn't tow the party line.

Sean McDonough: Great play-by-play announcer. Remember him doing games for CBS after Jack Buck in the early 90's. Not sure why ESPN doesn't give him more games.

Gary Cohen: Not so much for his TV work, but he is one the best radio play-by-play guys I have ever listened to.

EXCELLENT on Kaat. I had forgotten him.

Darling and Hernandez are a fun listen.

I cut my teeth on Kubek. When he announced, it just seemed important

EXCELLENT on Kaat. I had forgotten him.

Darling and Hernandez are a fun listen.

I cut my teeth on Kubek. When he announced, it just seemed important

I just remembered that Kaat is doing the Thursday night games on the MLB Network.

This week's game is Yankees-Red Sox. Hopefully the MLBN broadcast is not blacked out in NY. I'd much rather listen to him than Kay and company.

I just remembered that Kaat is doing the Thursday night games on the MLB Network.

This week's game is Yankees-Red Sox. Hopefully the MLBN broadcast is not blacked out in NY. I'd much rather listen to him than Kay and company.

Unfortunately it probably is blacked out. I don't think they show the MLB Network games with the Yankees on in New York. I miss Kaat.

Here is some Vin Scully clips from YouTube.

Couldn't find a better video...

aN-2i_ZUwjM&feature=related

Scully's call of 715 starts about 1:30 in...

E4tqSly3YDo

Scully's call of "The Catch" 1982 NFC Championship Game.

tunyz0WWLSI

I wish the Yankees had the Mets announcers. Darling, Cohen, and Keith are great. Kay and Singleton usually suck.

I agree that Darling does a great job. Cohen is decent, I just don't like his drab voice. Hernandez, however, is a complete train wreck. There is nothing positive about what he has to offer.

As for the Yanks, give credit where it is due. Leiter is outstanding and Cone not too far behind (I don't think it is coincidence that pitchers seem to make the best announcers). Leiter is one of the few guys out there that seems to give a fresh (and relevant) perspective to the game. Catchers too, as John Flaherty does a very nice job too, outside of his monotone speech. A lot of substance there despite his lack of style.

Earlier in this thread, I asked for announcers (baseball) that you like, and why.

It is so easy to criticize, let's turn it around and give some bouquets.

C'mon Jetnation,do ya have it in ya to be positive?

I like O'Neill and I'm a huge fan of Ken Singleton out of the current crop of Yankees announcers.

I miss when Scooter, Seaver and Murcer would rotate every game on channel 11. You'd start off with Scooter and Seaver for the first three innings, then Scooter would take three innings off and Murcer would join Seaver for innings 4-6 and then Scooter would join Murcer for the final three innings. It was perfect.

Archived