Is Jose Reyes going to play this season?

Matt39

The METS would be retarded to activate him now. They aren't going to the Postseason. They are 10 games out in the division and 7 games out of the wild card. They should call it a season for Beltran, Reyes and Delgado. No need in risking Reyes' future for a lost cause.

Not playing ever. Building your team around two cream puffs is going to be Minaya's downfall.

What exactly are you talking about? Players get injured and that's the nature of the business. Why question something you have no idea about. When it comes to player injuries no one but the player knows whether he can play through it or not. If you want to rip Reyes because you think he's dogging it, maybe you have better info than the rest of us.

What exactly are you talking about? Players get injured and that's the nature of the business. Why question something you have no idea about. When it comes to player injuries no one but the player knows whether he can play through it or not. If you want to rip Reyes because you think he's dogging it, maybe you have better info than the rest of us.

I seriously doubt it. He'll be back along with Wagner and Putz in the next 2 weeks.

Judging by the way he runs to first base, would it really surprise you that he's dogging it?

Judging by the way he runs to first base, would it really surprise you that he's dogging it?

Yes it would. If you actually knew anything about Reyes or the Mets you'd know Reyes has so much energy he can't sit still when he's given a day off. He drives the dugout crazy on a routine day off. Is he guilty of not hustling on every play. Probably. Is he the type of guy who refuses to play. If you think that you really don't know anything about the guy. Right now he has some type of calf/hamstring issue. He's a guy who uses his legs and without his legs/speed he is not benefitting anyone. Why rush him back? I mean if you have better information than the rest of us, please share. I'd like to know wtf is going on also.

Yes it would. If you actually knew anything about Reyes or the Mets you'd know Reyes has so much energy he can't sit still when he's given a day off. He drives the dugout crazy on a routine day off. Is he guilty of not hustling on every play. Probably. Is he the type of guy who refuses to play. If you think that you really don't know anything about the guy. Right now he has some type of calf/hamstring issue. He's a guy who uses his legs and without his legs/speed he is not benefitting anyone. Why rush him back? I mean if you have better information than the rest of us, please share. I'd like to know wtf is going on also.

Page 6 had reports of him dancing in Washington Heights till about 4AM the other day. The guy is a dog...and there is no doubt he's dogging it.

The Mets biggest mistake was building their team around Reyes and Beltran. JMO.

Apparently the White Sox do. Anyway, Reyes has been hurt. His value is not at an "all time low" He is not a pitcher that just had reconstructive elbow surgery. He's also not a 34 year old coming off of knee surgery. He's having some hamstring or calf injuries he is dealing with. Those will heal and he should be back to normal. Will it be this year? Who knows, the Mets medical staff is a joke. Reyes is a 26 year old gold glove caliber SS. He has value if the Mets want to trade him.

he has tremendous value. he's one of the best shortstops in the league right now.

Page 6 had reports of him dancing in Washington Heights till about 4AM the other day. The guy is a dog...and there is no doubt he's dogging it.

The Mets biggest mistake was building their team around Reyes and Beltran. JMO.

He shouldn't be doing that, but guys are not going to stop living their lives. As much as we'd all love our athletes to dedicate their entire live to their teams. That's not going to happen. Here's the number of games he's played?

2005-161 games

2006-149 games

2007-160 games

2008-158 games

Does that seem like a guy who doens't want to play. You're calling him out on his heart and you don't know anything about the guy. From everything that I know about Reyes and I watch every game. He's a guy that is dying to play. If anything he rushed himself back and aggravated the injury. Why are you so concerned with Reyes anyway?

he has tremendous value. he's one of the best shortstops in the league right now.

There is absolutely no reason for an athlete like Reyes at 26 to be out for two months because of a hammy. I mean a hamstring?? Come on. You're 26 years old.

He shouldn't be doing that, but guys are not going to stop living their lives. As much as we'd all love our athletes to dedicate their entire live to their teams. That's not going to happen. Here's the number of games he's played?

2005-161 games

2006-149 games

2007-160 games

2008-158 games

Does that seem like a guy who doens't want to play. You're calling him out on his heart and you don't know anything about the guy. From everything that I know about Reyes and I watch every game. He's a guy that is dying to play. If anything he rushed himself back and aggravated the injury. Why are you so concerned with Reyes anyway?

Nothing drives me more crazy than young guys that get hurt. Especially a hamstring of all things.

There is no reason for that to happen.

i guess he's hurt.....i mean who really knows for sure except reyes.

Just feel like this has been ignored all season. I mean either shut him down for the year or start playing.

Have the Mets given up? I honestly dont know...but I've been wondering what's the deal been with Reyes for a while now. Something just seems fishy, no?

Just feel like this has been ignored all season. I mean either shut him down for the year or start playing.

Have the Mets given up? I honestly dont know...but I've been wondering what's the deal been with Reyes for a while now. Something just seems fishy, no?

I don't think they've given up, but it is probably over. I hate when guys get injured as well and I agree with you. How can injure his hamstring. I don't even know if I have a hamstring. One thing I know is, I won't question a guy's desire to play. I doubt even Carl Pavano dogged it. I think these guys all want to play otherwise they wouldn't be where they are.

yeah...maybe. but i've sorta given up wondering about it by this point. mets baseball is pretty much over with this year. omar minaya and the mets FO/ownership, in general, is an embarrasment. time for football, imo.

• 7 months later...

Reyes to begin season on disabled list

Shortstop expected to be available by fifth game vs. Nats

#article_related {margin-top:410px;}

mlbf_7239447_th_13.jpg

trans.gif

Reyes on his Minor League start

Duration: 00:02:06

03.31.10: Jose Reyes talks to broadcasters about being back and how he felt in his Minor League start

Video Tags

Spring Training 2010, More From This Game, interview, New York Mets, Jose Reyes

Related Video

• mlbf_7238361_th_7.jpgtrans.gif Reyes' returns key for Mets
  • mlbf_7193449_th_7.jpgtrans.gif Mets look to fill big shoes
  • mlbf_7233349_th_7.jpgtrans.gif Season Preview: Mets
  • mlbf_7193427_th_7.jpgtrans.gif Bay talks about his move to Mets

Related Links

By Marty Noble / MLB.com

03/31/10 11:18 PM ET

PORT ST. LUCIE, Fla. -- The Mets played most of last season without their shortstop and first baseman. And now they will do so Monday when their 2010 season begins -- an understudy at short and one at first. And who knows what else might befall them before they depart the sunshine state?

Neither Daniel Murphy nor Jose Reyes will play on Opening Day. Each will be assigned to the disabled list. Though Reyes seemed more comfortable and natural when he played in a Minor League game Wednesday, a person familiar with the situation said a DL assignment is definite for the shortstop.

Earlier on Wednesday, the club announced Murphy will miss two to six weeks because of a sprained right knee.

Again on Wednesday, there was no indication for the club that suggested Reyes might be on the Opening Day roster. Several people in the organization had doubted for days that Reyes would begin the season on the active roster. No one said they knew for sure. But they said they would be surprised if he were.

Reyes batted five times in a game against the Marlins' junior varsity and appeared natural and smooth, regardless of the results. He doubled in five at-bats, and against orders, ran like ... well, like only he can. He also flied out twice, fouled out and struck out. He faced left-handed pitcher Hunter Jones and right-handed reliever Chris LaRue.

And again, Reyes said he felt fine and reiterated that he hopes to play Monday: "My legs are ready, and I'm not that bad swinging the bat. No doubt, I'm more comfortable." He may not have been comfortable when he learned that more time on the DL is in the offing. The Mets will assign him and backdate the assignment to last Friday, as they did late Wednesday with Kelvim Escobar and Carlos Beltran. In that way, Reyes becomes eligible to play in the season's fifth game, against the Nationals on April 10. However, late Wednesday night there was an indication from a person with the club that it is not a given that Reyes will be activated on that date.

I have to say that it is a shame because his talent level is off the charts. His 2005 - 2008 were some really good seasons.

Hopefully for the Mets 2009 becomes a one year sidetrack and he gets rolling again. Definitely an exciting player to watch when he is healthy.

Archived