Knicks supposedly land Eddie Curry

JetsMan57

Knicks Land Curry

3rd October, 2005 - 8:44 pm

AP - The Chicago Bulls dealt center Eddy Curry to the New York Knicks on Monday, ending a contentious negotiation in which the team insisted the restricted free agent take a DNA test over a heart problem.

In making the announcement, an obviously frustrated Bulls general manager John Paxson did not specify what the Bulls got in return and he did not field questions.

"We will have an announcement tomorrow morning," Bulls public relations director Sebrina Brewster said Monday night. "All we can say right now is we traded Eddy to the Knicks."

The Knicks did not immediately return messages seeking comment. [READ]

It is an excellent deal for the Knicks as long as Curry is healthy. He was reported to have a heart condition for which he missed part of last season.

Dumping Tim thomas was a great move, as he brought nothing at all to the table. Thomas was a huge disappointment from the time he left Villanova after one year.

Sweetney was a solid young player, but he is definitely replaceable. The Knicks were stacked at the power forward position last year so its not so painful to see him go.

If Curry is healthy, the Knicks may have landed a big time center for the next 10- 12 years. It was reported that they had to give up draft picks too, but so be it. For the Knicks to contend against the better teams in the East they need a legit center that somehow puts them closer to the heat w/ shaq, the pistons w/ ben wallace and the pacers w/ Jermaine oneal. Im not saying Curry is better than the players i just mentioned, but he is an improvement from what the Knicks had.

Great job by Isiah on this one!!!

He's a fat, lazy player, that averages 3 freaking rebounds a game and has no vertical.

A 7 footer that can't rebound!!!!

A number 1 and other picks, a tough physical presence inside, an expiring contract(that happens to be a very talented player who will be motivated for his next contract), and 8 million in cap space this year?

thanks Isiah!

Curry only got in shape last season for the contract year and refused to take any DNA testing for his heart condition.

He's had almost no physical activity since last season and will be in Larry's doghouse all season.

I think he may cause Larry to leave even quicker than normal

BTW- did I mention that if you don't get him involved in the game early, like 7-8 straight touches, he disappears for the night?

Did I mention that he never saw the court in the 4th quarter because he's a defensive liabilty and a crunch time turnover machine?

Curry crumbled under the Chicago Media...NY is going to put this kid in therapy.

Pax is a very shrewd GM.

I don't think Isiah is capable of pulling one over him.

Jimmy, you make a lot of valid points. Maybe CUrry is out of shape right now and will loaf it after he gets his big pay day. But the kid has tremendous upside and we are putting him into the hands of an all time great coach. Larry Brown will force Eddie to play D and hit the boards or he will sit the bench, it's that simple.

As for who we gave up, come on this deal was definetly worth it. Tim Thomas has been a scrub his whole life. So maybe he will score a little bit more in his contract year, too bad he still plays no defense, he is soft, and he is a turnover machine.

I liked Sweetney but he had his issues too. For one he was always overweight and out of shape, he was undersized and the kid could never, ever stay out of foul trouble. He is nothing more than a good role player.

So, we traded a role player and a complete dud for a 22 year old kid who has yet to even realize his potential.

Zeke would have been nuts not to do this.

Let me understand-the Bulls dealt him in no small aprt because he, a professional athlete, refuses to take a DNA test to see whether his condition might be congenital.Very mature.

Isiah Thomas must want Larry Brown to pop his aorta by Thanksgiving. Cannot wait for his farewell sometime after 2006/7.

I could just see John Paxson getting this call and holding the phone away from his face so he could laugh at Thomas whle continuing the coversation, dumbstruck at his luck.

The problem is, you're giving this huge contract, high draft picks, and expiring contracts for a kid that:

a- has only had one successful season and it was his contract year.

b- has only been in shape for one season...his contract year.

c- has a potential heart disease that can kill him ala Hank Gathers. Teams cannot get his contract insured so you'll be eating another big contract soon.

d- never sees the floor in cruch time since his turnovers and non-existant defense hinders the team.

e- is softer than a european player and never EVER gets the rebound or loose ball.

I understand the excitement and hope for this kid, believe me I do! I felt the same thing the past 4 years while Curry sucked it up. He was our coaching staff's personal project and still he couldn't meet expectations. He was forced to stay after practice for extra conditioning every day like the fat kid in gym class. How pathetic is that? A professional athlete running wind sprints in the middle of a season?

You're all going to hate this guy...he'll frustrate you to no end.

I have been staying away from this thread just because the Knicks are a comical non-story. So they got Eddy Curry. Wow. Yet another player that Brown will despise, and another player that won't share the ball. It's going to be absolutely comical to watch that team implode this season. Marbury, Crawford, Curry, Frye, Ariza, Robinson, and Lee is as bad as it gets. Honestly. The only good news for Knicks fans is that Allan Houston, after stealing the bulk of his $40 million dollar deal, will retire and accept a buyout of ONLY $18 mil from the Knicks and the rest from insurance. That's some great ROI there.

Knicks are in CAP hell anyway so this deal is a excellent move by Isiah.

As a 21 and 22 year old this kid averaged 14-16 pts a game on 11 FG attempts per while seeing under 30 minutes of PT.

The rebounding average though will have to improve.

I can't stomach Isiah's revolving roster without a plan approach to GMing but this move can provide dividends.

Brown will bring out the best in this guy.

Archived