Kerry Rhodes Injured???

JustInFudge

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It must be the paralyzing fear of becoming Twitter-fodder for Patterson Plank Rhodes...

Joke all you want but it's true. We're a team that lives and dies with blitzing and more often than not we live without giving up big plays. That is largely down to the deep safety.

Join the ****ing dots. Teams can't do well against us down the field if they're not attempting it. Ever think there's a reason they're not attempting it?

Rex's blitzes?

I mean, c'mon... Rhodes is a nice player and all, but he's not scaring too many QB's off. When Revis has 31 passes defensed and 6 picks, it's tough to say that teams are purposely throwing away from Rhodes.

Rex's blitzes?

I mean, c'mon... Rhodes is a nice player and all, but he's not scaring too many QB's off. When Revis has 31 passes defensed and 6 picks, it's tough to say that teams are purposely throwing away from Rhodes.

Not saying they're purposely throwing away from him, just that it's pretty obvious they aren't going after him either.

Join the ****ing dots. Teams can't do well against us down the field if they're not attempting it. Ever think there's a reason they're not attempting it?

Rex's pressure schemes? Revis being awesome allowing for mass zone floods.

Lol.. And why were they able to pass it all over us last year?

Only in your's and Rhodes mind is he the reason for our great pass defense. Dumb and dumber

it's always funny to see how threads dissolve into;

"he sucks" - " no he doesn't, you suck"

arguments no matter what the topic is

rep'd..

its comforting though.. The more the players and coaches change, the more the fans stay the same

Not saying they're purposely throwing away from him, just that it's pretty obvious they aren't going after him either.

I think what's obvious is that Rex's pressure is working, and that QB's are often either dumping the ball off or throwing it away. Sometimes they're so flustered they throw at Revis. The Jets are a great third down team because they get after the QB, even if they don't have the sack numbers to go along with it. Rhodes is the beneficiary of what the team does up front much more than the other way around.

Joke all you want but it's true. We're a team that lives and dies with blitzing and more often than not we live without giving up big plays. That is largely down to the deep safety.

Right... but a great FS in this system comes up with the big play cause the ball is being thrown that way See: Reed, Ed.

penne, rhodes, next year it will be someone else..

I thought for sure the first reply to my post would be

you suck

lol

yeah.. that was a whiff. but it was funny and true. I had just gotten done calling IJ dumb after all :D

It doesn't matter. It looks the same from all angles. It's just a matter of drawing an inference based on who you'd prefer to have screwed up. Either it's the guy who's been a Jet for five years or the guy who's been in the system for five years. For most, obviously, this is not a real hard choice.

Agreed. One thing is for sure is that nobody will blame Revis, who is doubling Gates who was being blanketed by Thomas. Obviously not his fault, it must be Rhodes who is helping out on Jackson. Switch the numbers on their jerseys on that play and people will still blame #25.

Scott made bad reads on TWO plays that game.

The touchdown is Scotts Fault. Rhodes is playin the seam to the sideline as a deep safety to the two receivers. Scott got caught looking in the backfield and didn't go back in coverage to cover the middle of the field.

There was another play (Pass to Jacob Hester), where he got caught rushing on the inside (you would think he was going to try a stunt), but his responsibility was to cover the back on the play. He pulled himself too close to the line Hester blew by him in the open for a decent gain.

Hester had 3 catches during the year. Wilson had 4 catches during the year. Bart Scott was out of position on both.

This is a concern, as a 2nd TE or FB (especially one that is rarely used and would not be planned for) could possibly get in the open on a play where it is his responsibilty to cover.

AS FOR RHODES:

Even as a deep safety, he plays too deep.

Does it limit the HUGE play, yes.

Does it help cover his average at best speed, yes.

On one play in the first quarter this is seen:

A good safety would understand that on that play, when LT went in motion outside (drawing Revis out to cover him as well), and Leonhard playing outside technique, 1v1 on Jackson in the slot, that Rhodes doesn't need to play deep safety over the top (and help Revis on LT, or the zone coverage on the 2 WR's on the other side covered by 2 db's and a LB), but needs to help the 1 v 1 mismatch of a 6'5'' Jackson against a 5'8'' Leonhard, who was playing him to the inside.

When the ball was snapped, not only did he not help that coverage but he dropped FURTHER back in coverage giving the receiver (and QB) more space to put a ball over the top of the covering safety (Leonhard was covering Jackson in a mismatch).

He does not have aggressive ballhawking skills because he doesn't have the sideline to sideline speed necessary to cover ground, and doesn't have the football smarts to understand matchups (especially obvious ones which is any 1v1 of safety on wr, on the same side as Revis).

Rhodes is OVERRATED! Eric Smith will serve his purpose well, bump and run decent coverage for 10 yards on a TE. That's it. Idehegbo can blitz (had 8 tackles last week as well), and Rhodes can be traded to the Raiders for all I care.

I agree with almost all of this, except for the last part. This D is so well coached that they KNOW where the QB is going to look and the pressure keeps from giving an extra read. It's not surprising that when Scott screws up it is on guys that aren't at the top of the depth chart or progression.

I agree with most of what you say about Rhodes, but if you think Rhodes is bad in coverage and slow then how can you say that Eric Smith can serve his purpose? Eric Smith can't cover for **** and Dallas Clark made him look like Pepper Johnson in coverage. Rhodes may be overrated in coverage, but as S he's the best we've got.

Smith has the physicality to cover within the first 10 yards, where he can create contact off the line. Rhodes does not do well in bump and run, and is no faster than Smith. He is taller which is a plus for a safety.

And I know its not bad to be beat by a 6th or 7th option, especially if it only happens twice in a game, but if its something that I noticed looking at last games gametape, I wouldnt' be shocked to see the Colts try that as well.

Agreed. One thing is for sure is that nobody will blame Revis, who is doubling Gates who was being blanketed by Thomas. Obviously not his fault, it must be Rhodes who is helping out on Jackson. Switch the numbers on their jerseys on that play and people will still blame #25.

If that was true, we'd blame him for the second TD set up by the Jackson catch or the big pass play earlier. But we didn't. I think there's sufficiently question that fingering rhodes there doesn't have to be a product of bias

Archived