Patrick Willis gets new deal...

BroadwayJoe12

I didn't see this posted, so apologies if it has, but I figured this deal, as well as the aforementioned DeMeco Ryan's deal, could have a pretty significant impact on the contract extension that Harris will be looking for. If I had to guess, it would be somewhere between these two; 5-6 years and $7-10 mill per? Doesn't seem unreasonable really.

Gonna be tough to keep everyone, but if Sanchez progresses as he should, obviously Oline and Defense should be of utmost importance. Hopefully Sanchez will be able to make receivers better by than, ala Manning/Brees/Brady etc. as opposed to needing good to very good performances from receivers to be effective as is the case now. Which will make the case in signing our WRs much easier.

49ers signed ILB Patrick Willis to a five-year, $50 million extension with $29 million in guarantees.

A Pro Bowler in each of the past three seasons and the NFL's leading tackler, Willis had outplayed his rookie contract. The 2009 Butkus Award winner has emerged as the best inside linebacker in football, so it's no surprise that his deal tops DeMeco Ryans' six-year, $48 million pact in average salary. The Niners should now turn their attention to TE Vernon Davis and NT Aubrayo Franklin, both of whom are scheduled to hit free agency in 2011. May. 4 - 1:48 pm et

Source: Jay Glazer on Twitter

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/HeadLines.aspx?sport=NFL&hl=172774

not bad news. Harris is great, especially with our style of play, but he's not on Willis level IMO.

Think he sees it that way? If he can lay claim to being a top 3 or 4 ILB (which anyone could make a strong case that he is), then he can command money nearing Willis's range. It certainly isn't GOOD news.

Think he sees it that way? If he can lay claim to being a top 3 or 4 ILB (which anyone could make a strong case that he is), then he can command money nearing Willis's range. It certainly isn't GOOD news.

He can command it, but that does not mean he'll get it - from the Jets or anyone else. Harris has never even made a Pro Bowl.

Non issue IMO but that's based on what my expectations were. With Harris playing at the level he is, I expected his contract demands to be in the $8-10mil per season range. This deal doesn't change that. Again, JMO.

Bad news for Jets fans.

Why? Willis could have been paid a whole lot more, and Harris won't match his contract.

Players have been getting paid alot lately...for a 25 or 26 year old like Willis this is a great deal for the 49ers.

I always have a feeling that Harris is the guy who'll get away from the Jets of the many young FAs we'll have coming up...

Does it matter how he sees it? Bottomline is that he's not on Willis Level, doesnt mean that he shouldnt get paid, but to pay him 10 million a seaon yet hasnt been an all pro or atleast made it to the probowl I say thats over paying.

Dont get this confused, I think Harris is in the top 5 best LB's in the game today. Problem is that you could also name 5 LB's not Harris and it could be valid. In that case you pay him the average of the top 10 in the league.

Bad news for Jets fans.

Willis is considered far and away the best at his position and the possibility as long as he stays healthy as one of the best all time. Harris won't get anywhere near this and won't expect it, he isn't even the second best ILB from his draft class, that would be Jon Beason.

Archived