The fight for the Jets starting safety spot

Mr.Revis

Who do you want starting at safety?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Who do you want starting at safety?

• Dwight Lowery
    • Brodney Pool
    • Donovan Warren

From what you have seen from these three players, who would YOU want as our starting safety next season. I think its clear that its bewtween pool, lowery and warren. I don't think one of the three really has a tremendous edge in terms of talent but experience wise at the position its pool. Still, its always good to have a playmaker back there....experience shouldn't be a concern.

I have no opinion until I've seen (or heard credible reports about) them all playing the position. I'm optimistic about Pool but I (like 99% of those here) would be lying if I said I'd ever really keyed in on Pool in the time he spent in Cleveland. Having sustained (at least) 4 concussions in 5 season is concerning for him not just as a player on our team but as a man who should have another 60 years of living to do.

My desire is onefold: whoever wins it wins it because he's good rather than the least awful option from a pile of suck. Beyond that I don't care and neither should anyone else here. JMO.

As long as he's healthy, its going to be Pool. Outside of fan speculation, there's nothing to base the idea of Lowery moving to safety. Warren's got a ways to go before he can think about starting. First he needs to worry about actually making the team. As for Eric Smith, if he starts then I thank God we're as good at CB as we are, because then we don't have to worry about Smith actually trying to cover anyone. That guy is 13 kinds of suck, he couldn't cover most of the posters on this board.

I have no opinion until I've seen (or heard credible reports about) them all playing the position. I'm optimistic about Pool but I (like 99% of those here) would be lying if I said I'd ever really keyed in on Pool in the time he spent in Cleveland. Having sustained (at least) 4 concussions in 5 season is concerning for him not just as a player on our team but as a man who should have another 60 years of living to do.

My desire is onefold: whoever wins it wins it because he's good rather than the least awful option from a pile of suck. Beyond that I don't care and neither should anyone else here. JMO.

Pool may well have had less than 4 concussions. That's what he claims. He says that the Browns medical staff sucks and they misdiagnosed him. Pool says he only suffered one concussion and it was in 2005. He is being treated for the migraines which run in his family and he says the Jets neurologist agrees that's what it was. Let's just hope that's not the same guy that diagnosed Toon and Chrebet.

http://dustinkeller81.com/2010/04/17/a-lot-of-familiarity-surrounding-new-jet-brodney-pool/

Silly poll to not even include Eric Smith. He may not win the starting job, but he's hardly a dark horse. For all we know Smith will get cut in July. Regardless, as of today he's got a better chance of winning the starting job than Lowery or Warren.

Personally I think it will be Pool. But I really have no sentiment on it, other than I want the winner to be the winner for a reason other than sucking the least.

Pool may well have had less than 4 concussions. That's what he claims. He says that the Browns medical staff sucks and they misdiagnosed him. Pool says he only suffered one concussion and it was in 2005. He is being treated for the migraines which run in his family and he says the Jets neurologist agrees that's what it was. Let's just hope that's not the same guy that diagnosed Toon and Chrebet.

http://dustinkeller81.com/2010/04/17/a-lot-of-familiarity-surrounding-new-jet-brodney-pool/

Amen to that.

Its kinda weird that a crappy team like the Browns doesn't want Pool anymore and then when he gets signed by the Jets he's the next Jack Tatum.

Weird wasn't the word I had in mind but I guess it will do. ;)

Its kinda weird that a crappy team like the Browns doesn't want Pool anymore and then when he gets signed by the Jets he's the next Jack Tatum.

That had more than occurred to me as well. Also, for whatever anyone thinks of him as a HC or DC, Mangini was first a DB coach. A DB coach who, as much as it pains people to accept, was undoubtedly the #1 reason we traded up to draft Revis (so he may not be totally devoid of having an eye for secondary talent) and turned an over-the-hill WR into a borderline starting safety in NE. And he didn't want Pool, a young, 3+ year starter, for under $1.5M.

If he's merely a non-liability it was a great pickup. We'll see.

I think Pool would be a much more dangerous as a strong safety than a free simply for the fact that he is big (way bigger than leonard) and also has better ball skills. He may not be better in coverage though but a SS shouldnt have to be that perfect in that area. I would love to see Warren perform good in training camp and win the free safety spot. I mean you can say whatever you want about his 40 time but the fact that this guy was undrafted but was supposed to go in the second round and was a top 5 cornerback leading up to the draft astonishes me.

Yes hes a project but his potential is scary. Imo, he will suprise alot of ppl on this board come next season.

I think Pool would be a much more dangerous as a strong safety than a free simply for the fact that he is big (way bigger than leonard) and also has better ball skills. He may not be better in coverage though but a SS shouldnt have to be that perfect in that area. I would love to see Warren perform good in training camp and win the free safety spot. I mean you can say whatever you want about his 40 time but the fact that this guy was undrafted but was supposed to go in the second round and was a top 5 cornerback leading up to the draft astonishes me.

Yes hes a project but his potential is scary. Imo, he will suprise alot of ppl on this board come next season.

This is one of my issues with modern terminology. In my day they were strong safety and weak safety. The strong side safety usually covered the TE. The "weak" safety sounded lame so they were called free safety. The strong safety wasn't always the one up at the line.

Warren may be a steal, but he dropped for a reason. He obviously did not sniff being a top 5 CB by draft day. 33 CBs were drafted and 19 safeties, don't believe the draft books. They guy had private workouts and ran like **** there too. Supposedly in the 4.7s. Guys that run 4.7 can't play CB and they aren't effective at safety either. If it was his injury he has a chance, but he had surgery on the ankle in the spring of 2009. That's right, he's got a noodle ankle.

The other CB from Oklahoma Washington has also been talked about as a potential safety, but the Jets may be using him at CB. He says he loves to press and is real strong with long arms.

Archived