bad luck

bitonti

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rsherry....I understand that the Pats rings weren't aquired by just luck. The same is true of the Jets play-off win last year.

Those player/coaching losses you speak of were not suppossed to affect the Pats at all remember?

The Pats fans have many times pointed to their injuries this year as a reason for opponents lighting up the scoreboard.

I know it's chic to bash everyone and everything about the Jets right now but implying that they wouldn't contend for the division or a wildcard with a healthy team is wrong.

It's very easy to say a team is a playoff team before the season starts. I disagree. The Jets were not a playoff team before the season started at all. Even if everyone stayed healthy this is a 8-8 team. And if you don't believe me look at what the team did when healthy against the Chiefs.

The Jets were not a championship caliber team before the season started.

Their offense was just too weak.

Chad Pennington is not a good QB when healthy.

Curtis Martin does not play well against smashmouth defenses.

Our defense has yet to have a break out game where they flat out dominate.

That tells the story right there.

Explain to me how we would have been an 8-8 team if the season before we were 10-6? Why? Because we lost a backup running back who never made a sh*ts difference, and a decent D and O tackle? We added a top 3 corner and Coles. Not to mention, a SS upgrade.

Right now, we're a Justin Miller fumbled punt away against jacksonville from being 3-3 and having the same record as the pats. And if we had a healthy Chad we would be at least 4-2.

TX, we lost to St. Louis and got beaten badly vs the pats. But our gamechanging defensive end JOHN ABRAHAM didnt play in either game! And our QB had a phucking torn rotator cuff! hello!

And talk about luck? The chargers were LUCKY to get to Overtime if not for Barton knocking Brees in the helmet, the game was over on that play.

Explain to me how we would have been an 8-8 team if the season before we were 10-6?

1). You had an already over rated QB starting the season coming off major surgery. Anyone with a set of eyes could see in training camp he was not ready to start the season.

2). Your defense was not/is not the elite group that 90% of posters on this board would like to think it was. That was completely evident in the opener against KC and last week against the Bills.

3). The Oline is slow and old. With a QB coming off major surgery, poor pass protection was a sure recipe for disaster.

4). A 32-year old RB who has lost a step. Enough said.

5). Wasting a 2nd round pick on a friggn' kicker instead of suring up the OLine.

6). Mediocre depth at WR. Not to mention they have trouble hanging onto the football.

7). Dingleberry. Vastly over rated when he was signed as OC and evidence by his performance through the 1st 6 games. This guy should be arrested for stealing money from the Jets.

8 ). Hermy the clueless wonder.

Add then all together before the season even began, and you have an 8-8 football team at best. :wink:

Explain to me how we would have been an 8-8 team if the season before we were 10-6? Why? Because we lost a backup running back who never made a sh*ts difference, and a decent D and O tackle? We added a top 3 corner and Coles. Not to mention, a SS upgrade.

Right now, we're a Justin Miller fumbled punt away against jacksonville from being 3-3 and having the same record as the pats. And if we had a healthy Chad we would be at least 4-2.

TX, we lost to St. Louis and got beaten badly vs the pats. But our gamechanging defensive end JOHN ABRAHAM didnt play in either game! And our QB had a phucking torn rotator cuff! hello!

And talk about luck? The chargers were LUCKY to get to Overtime if not for Barton knocking Brees in the helmet, the game was over on that play.

Correct EB ... but you can't provide sound reasoning with doom and gloomers. It's as if saying they knew coming in we'd suck lets them off the hook as a fan.

We saw the same in May from some of these same Yankee fans.

Those 8-8 predictions by the way may have been good enough to contend for the division.

Those 8-8 predictions by the way may have been good enough to contend for the division.

Shelter, you are probably correct.

It's amazing how the talent level in the "once pwerful" AFCE has fallen so quickly.

From top to bottom, could be one of the weakest sisters in the NFL.

When we got thumped 27-7 WITHOUT the injury bug to begin the season, how could anyone possibly believe this team to be destined for a Super Bowl?

Face it, any Herm Edwards-led team is destined for eventual failure. Whether it happens early in the season or late is anyone's guess, but he is not by any means a championship-caliber coach, and this team was not a championship-caliber team.

Ok Matt. I understand what you're saying about Kmac and Lamont.

But Santana was not a very good punt returner. He was very good in 2003 but last year all he did was run to the sidelines and fair catch it when he could have had room to make something happen. He was killed by us fans for doing that last season. Lets not forget that. I know he had a big play as a punt return man vs the steelers, but thats only 1 of a couple big plays he made last year as a punt returner. He's better than what we have now, but not much.

The running out of bounds ticked me off to no end last year. But you can't deny his abilities as a returner.

It looked in the Steelers game he just turned on a switch and took one to the house. Herm even predicted he'd take one for 6.

I think Santana needed a kick in the ass. And we all no Herm isnt the guy to do that.

I may be completely off the rocker here but...

With a guy like Santana, coming from the U and having that certain attitude..

I think he was running bounds on purpose last season because he was so ticked off with the offense. He didnt want to risk getting hurt or whatever on an offense he felt didnt utilize him properly.

I listened to Beningo's interviews with Santana all the time last year, and joe would always pound him on the running out of bounds thing. Santana would usually avoid the question and usually say something lie,"I can only make plays when i get the ball."

Pure speculation though, so dont get all crazy on me.

part of me wants Herm fired just so you all can see that wasn't the problem. Whether you believe it or not Herm is one of the only good things about this franchise right now. Replace him with some schlub and it will be the same crap different HC.

part of me wants Herm fired just so you all can see that wasn't the problem. Whether you believe it or not Herm is one of the only good things about this franchise right now. Replace him with some schlub and it will be the same crap different HC.

Bit, get a good coach in here and let's see how talent-poor we really are. I had to laugh in Herm's interview where he states how a coach's job is not necessarily winning, but getting players to "play beyond their abilities." Name one player under Herm's tenure that has over-achieved. Santana Moss was an absolute bust until Gibbs got in his ear. DRob? Sean Ellis? Abraham? You wanna tell me that those guys haven't been adversely affected by Herm moving them around and patting their asses? That Ellis didn't lose a season and a half trying to play 3-tech? That Abe has been helped by 1) being moved to DE where he gets punded into submission by Week Eight every year and 2) Herm's soft-love policy allowing Abe to be a malingerer? How about your boys Bryan Thomas and DRob? You constantly like to tell us how "gifted" they are, and what "great athletes" they are, yet they do next to zero on the field outside of a few flashes. You think a good coach figures out how to make use of a 6'4", 260 pound speed rusher that runs a 4.5 like Thomas? Or a 300 pound DT like DRob, who runs a 4.8? You can't have it both ways, Bit. Either Herm is an ineffective coach with a pathetic ability to recognize and develop talent, or DRob and Thomas are monolithic busts. I'd like to see what both of those guys look like after a training camp with Parcells, or with Belichick. Or, hell, with two guys you like to piss on--Gibbs and Mike Shanahan. Gibbs has turned Moss into Marvin Harrison and Shanahan's no-nonsense approach has Gerard Warren and Courtney Brown playing bad-ass football. Our guys? Soft. Is that Donnie's fault? Is it Donnie's fault that there's zero accountability on this football team (unless you get a DUI)?

But the question is this, Bit: Name one player that Herman has gotten to play above their ability. One.

Fair points on the defensive players Tom though they can only be validated if we get to see them play under a new HC.

As for Moss, it's been 5 games. Let's see him duplicate his 2003 season which by no means fell under the bust category before we say Gibbs has straightened him out.

The early returns are dammmmmn good though. Moss is someone who needs a foot in his ass and he never got it here.

you guys only see the bad qualities of Herm, there is a lot this guy does the goes unnoticed.

bottom line is that in years that his starting (franchise) QB doesn't suffer a devistating injury, Herm Edwards makes the playoffs. Years that the team stays relatively healthy they make the playoffs. You can't realistically expect anything more from a HC in this day of salary cap and parity. There is no HC out there (or any roster out there) that can be so smart/be so loaded that it guaruntees a Super Bowl victory.

This might come as a surprise to Jets fans but no one is entitled to a Super Bowl victory.

Hey bud, did you see Chad before he got hurt?

yeah sure the 1 game sample size. Chad was in a situation where he would have gotten stronger as the year went by and his shoulder heals. He looked like crap in game 1 so did the whole rest of the team. On the road in KC was an ambush and the Jets walked right on in. I also saw Chad live against the Fins week 2 and they did enough to win. No he's not the second coming of joe montana but if he stays healthy they beat Jax, they beat Balt etc. even if these Jets win 1 more game than they do that's 3-3 and good for divisional lead right now. WHat can't happen is all the decent QB's on the roster get injured for the year and then all the educated fans call for firing the coach. What should he have done, start Fielder instead? That guy lasted 1 pass attempt before he was out for the year.

BAD LUCK. s--t happens now move on.

I know one who is pretty damn close. :wink:

yes but he was already the HC of the Jets and his tenure lasted 1 day... and then he moved into a team in the division.

If only the Jets had a better HC they could have looked better losing to the Patriots in the middle of a dynasty.

This might come as a surprise to Jets fans but no one is entitled to a Super Bowl victory.

The Patriots were in 2001 after Herm gave Bellichik 5 players off our roster to infuse onto his 5-11 football team. That move right there propelled two teams in the same division in opposite directions.

He also unloaded a DT who started for another team that made it to the super bowl. Did I forget anybody? Oh yeah, there was a guard Herm didn't want, who went to Tampa Bay. He's also sporting a SB ring.

Good ol' Herm.

yes but he was already the HC of the Jets and his tenure lasted 1 day... and then he moved into a team in the division.

If only the Jets had a better HC they could have looked better losing to the Patriots in the middle of a dynasty.

Bitonti, this is getting ridiculous. It's as if the only excuse for the pro-Herm camp anymore is "well, at least he's not Kotite".

Bitonti, this is getting ridiculous. It's as if the only excuse for the pro-Herm camp anymore is "well, at least he's not Kotite".

There hasn't been a coach in the history of the Jets that has had as many playoff appearances in the same period of time as Herm Edwards. Not Bill. Not Michaels. Not Walton. You guys treat him like s--t the truth is he's statistically one of the better coaches this franchise has ever had. Weeb, then Bill, then Herm that's the ranking of all-time Jets coaches.

Archived