flgreen

New York Jets news and notes

June 9, 6:58 AMgreydot.gifNew York Jets Examinergreydot.gifTyson Rauch

Previous

locationclose.gif

resized_rexmets.jpg

Rex Ryan firing a fastball

Seth Wenig/AP

1) Revis returns - Darrelle Revis returned to practice yesterday after sitting out a OTA session last week over a contract dispute. Revis' return does not symbolize any progress in negotiations, as the star corner reportedly remains disappointed with the Jets current contract offer. I continue to think a deal will get done, it is just going to take some time and the negotiations will probably drag out to training camp.

2) Sanchez takes next step- Several media outlets are reporting that quarterback Mark Sanchez participated in 11 on 11 drills on Tuesday. This is the next step in the rehabilitation process (recovering from knee surgery) for the young quarterback, and an excellent sign in terms of progress. In addition this will help Sanchez start to develop some chemistry with his new teammates and get back in sync with the offense.

3) Rex meets the Mets- Head coach Rex Ryan threw out the first pitch at Citi Field last night. You got to give Rex credit, the guy is definitely not scared to get out and about. Over the past couple of months Ryan has been seen at sporting events ranging from NHL playoff games to mixed martial arts events.

4) Fans rank Jets 4th- The NFL Network ran a fan poll and Gang Green ended up ranked 4th in the NFL. It appears the Jets busy off-season has made believers all around the country, not just those with the green colored glasses in the New York/New Jersey area.

5) Jets over the Cowboys in Super Bowl 45? The Sporting News released their Super Bowl 45 prediction and it was the New York Jets over the Dallas Cowboys. What a difference a year makes. Last year the Jets were a team with question marks at the quarterback and head coach position and now some are considering them Super Bowl favorites. It is an exciting time to be a Jets fan, but all of this hype does start to make me a bit nervous.

6) Today's OTA session will be open to the media, which should generate plenty of news. How will Sanchez perform in the 11 on 11 drills? Will Revis attend? Will Mangold attend?

Good post. Gotta agree on Ellis, I thought he was your best end out there by far. Why are people down on him? Gotta disagree on Gholston. The only way I see him at end is as a 7 technique in a 4-3 for your nickel/pass packages. I dont see how he plays the 5, he's 260 lbs trying to hold the point vs 300+ lb tackles. Your coaches are smarter than that.

I think the Jets are a good team, but they seem to play better as underdogs, so I dont know how they'll respond to being picked as a SB favorite, and all the pressure that comes with it.

Good post. Gotta agree on Ellis, I thought he was your best end out there by far. Why are people down on him? Gotta disagree on Gholston. The only way I see him at end is as a 7 technique in a 4-3 for your nickel/pass packages. I dont see how he plays the 5, he's 260 lbs trying to hold the point vs 300+ lb tackles. Your coaches are smarter than that.

I don't know the exact numbers but I bet the Jets play nickel + dime about 80% of the time so that shouldn't be a concern.

:D

hey that was a 104 MPH fast ball

I think he's throwing a two-seamer, but I can't be sure. His mechanics look awful, though I do like the over-the-top arm angle and the two fingers coming off the ball. He's got some potential as a Mets middle reliever.

I think Rex somehow digested that lap band-it seems to have stopped working

Silly. It's outside the stomach. but most of them have a syringe and saline system where they can be made to be more or less restrictive. Rex probably had his set to the Glutton setting.

I think Rex somehow digested that lap band-it seems to have stopped working

I was thiniking the same thing, problem with the lapbad is that its not "restrictive", meaning he can still eat whatever he wants (pizza, burgers, beer, lard) he's just not supposed to eat large quantities. People can get around this though, so its stupid that he would go thru this procedure, and not work it to its full potential..

Im saying this because as much as we love to joke about the fatties, this is his health we talking about and hes too good a person to be done in by this bull****..

Lets go Coach, do some ****ing drills with your boys..lets get healthy..

Gotta disagree on Gholston. The only way I see him at end is as a 7 technique in a 4-3 for your nickel/pass packages. I dont see how he plays the 5, he's 260 lbs trying to hold the point vs 300+ lb tackles. Your coaches are smarter than that.

Well, Rex has been known to throw people pretty much anywhere at anytime, so you never can really tell. The thing about Gholston is he is very, very strong. If (and I know that "ifs" are just that) he can play closer to 270 - the goal weight from this article http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=nfp-vernon_gholston_trying_to_shake_bust_label_html-2010521 I think the kid has a chance as a rotational 5 technique. He is better suited as a 4-3 end, and Rex will get him there as well I'm sure, but it's not out of the realm of possibility that he can play 3-4 end as well.

Archived