Jets Hope McKnight can be versatile

flgreen

Also in a majority of his runs, he ran with the ball secured in his right hand. He'll need to learn to change hands while running in traffic so that linebackers and others cannot pop it out. I think he'll be a decent player but will take a season or two to develop and be productive

These backs that run high and look to the sideline dont fare well at this level. McFadden is the poster boy for this.

I dont expect McKnight to be any good. Hope Im wrong.

And McKnight runs straight-up high. I know they are trying to work with him, but it is tough to make such a drastic change in running style. A project, with good upside, at best.

Think the Kid contributes, and he contributes this year.

Remember he’s not an early 1st rounder, he’s a 4th. Doubt he will ever be a franchise back, but the kid has a good bit of wiggle. This year he’ll catch some balls, have a few exciting runs, get a lot of the fan base all jacked up.

All in all a good pick at the spot

You make a good point that he's not an early first but I still just don't feel it with him. I don't have exact stats to back this but it seems to me that the players that are from big time programs that fall in the draft tend to fall from the NFL. When teams take gambles on lesser known guys from smaller programs, in the later rounds, you have a much better chance at a diamond in the rough.

Leon goes a bit against this grain but FSU was not a power house and Leon was not the starter for his senior season (if memory serves). Hense the gamble and decent pay off with him as a player.

I think about it this way...McKnight had all the chances in the world to wow the scouts and prove that he was the reason USC was so good...but he didn't. With all that notarity and all those chances to prove his worth, he was still a fourth rounder or maybe later had the Jets not picked him.

What happens if he had played for Chadron State? or some other small program? The kid would probably have been a 7th rounder or a walk on at best.

Just my two cents...

And McKnight runs straight-up high. I know they are trying to work with him, but it is tough to make such a drastic change in running style. A project, with good upside, at best.

Actually, he's a project with good upside at worst.

These backs that run high and look to the sideline dont fare well at this level. McFadden is the poster boy for this.

I dont expect McKnight to be any good. Hope Im wrong.

If you'll notice, they are talking about using him as a slot receiver. I haven't heard too many people complaining about WR that run with their pad level too high and he's already shown more with the ball in his hands than most WR. Much as the guy is whining about the comparison it seems they are trying to use him like NO uses Bush. Not an every down back, but change of pace/HR threat and receiver.

my prediction: 2010 McK will be gameday inactive until he learns everything they are trying to teach him or someone gets hurt.

Based on bitonti's previous accuracy at predicting future performance we can all now take heart that Joe McKnight will be winning the 2010 Offensive Rookie of the Year Award. :yes:

Archived