Jets praised the new turf at the new stadium after the practice- ESPN

Kentucky Jet

http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post...n-injury-issue

Virtually in concert, the New York Jets praised the FieldTurf in the new Meadowlands stadium after Wednesday's public practice.

A day earlier, New York Giants receiver Domenik Hixon suffered a season-ending knee injury when he crumpled to the ground untouched on a punt return.

The Giants seem less certain than the Jets about the artificial surface's culpability.

"I was right there when it happened and I saw it right away," Giants safety Antrel Rolle told ESPNNewYork.com reporter Ohm Youngmisuk on Thursday. "And I was, like, 'Damn, it don't look good.' He didn't make a cut or anything. It just got caught in the turf."

Said receiver Steve Smith of the turf: "I thought it was real slippery. We were all slipping and stuff. Hopefully it settles in when more people do stuff on it."

Giants general manager Jerry Reese said the FieldTurf wasn't to blame. FieldTurf spokesman Chip Namias also refuted Rolle's opinion.

"With all due and sincere respect to Antrel Rolle, who is a wonderful player, he is simply not medically trained or qualified to make such a statement," Namias said. "The people who run NFL teams are ultra conscientious, and there's a very good reason why 21 of the 32 member clubs use FieldTurf."

Rolle also complained about the surface being hot on the bottoms of his feet and claimed several of his teammates had a similar experience. Slippage was another concern.

Giants coach Tom Coughlin stopped short at blaming the turf, but suggested it was an issue.

"You can speculate on whatever you want," Coughlin said. "Fact of the matter is it was an injury that occurred when he was not hit. He was running up the field and we are just going to leave it at that."

The Jets acted plenty confident in the surface Wednesday. Quarterback Mark Sanchez, recovering from offseason knee surgery, participated fully in the workout.

"The turf is great," Sanchez said of the turf. "I didn

Further proof that the Jets & Giants are two organizations heading in opposite directions.

My feelings exactly. I hate to see anyone get hurt. Still , one team uses it and complain; another team uses it and raves about it. None of us know the truth but the situation is what it is. Injuries happen on grass too. Are there any surfaces out there that are known to prevent injuries? They happen and we all hate it when it happens!

knees are weird sometimes tho, there may have been a pre existing issue with hixons knee where when he tweaked it by slipping a tiny bit he blew it out

anyway pace is right on my highschool field the turf is perfect because its been there for a few years now but when we went to play a team in brooklyn with brand new turf it was sorta slippery and weird to run on

and the giants lol... all they do is complain because they know theyll never have another year like 07... at least for awhile that is

Archived