Kid's birthday at or near xmas

JerryK

One of my kids' Bday is 12/31... jammed right next to xmas. This creates several pains in the butt for everyone.

When I grew up, if I wanted a toy or some other thing, my folks would say 'put it on your xmas or bday list"..and that worked. One or the other was usually just a few months off.

So I'm thinking of doing his next birthday party a little late ...6months late. (he wouldn't notice because I'd add some extras to xmas.)

Is this a crazy idea?

I could also not be a cheapskate and buy him more toy/crap stuff during the year, but then his brothers would freak.

One of my kids' Bday is 12/31... jammed right next to xmas. This creates several pains in the butt for everyone.

When I grew up, if I wanted a toy or some other thing, my folks would say 'put it on your xmas or bday list"..and that worked. One or the other was usually just a few months off.

So I'm thinking of doing his next birthday party a little late ...6months late. (he wouldn't notice because I'd add some extras to xmas.)

Is this a crazy idea?

I could also not be a cheapskate and buy him more toy/crap stuff during the year, but then his brothers would freak.

My sister's birthday is on Christmas. I know she had to hate getting just one gift and being told that it was for both christmas and birthday.

I seem to remember a friend doing this while growing up. Call it his, "unbirthday party," and have it six months away. I'm sure he'll appreciate having another "special day."

Is this a crazy idea?

No. My daughter whose b-day is in February celebrated in June because she wanted an outdoor one. We had a small celebration on her b-day and then her 11 friends came over last month with presents.

If they are cool with it, give it a shot.

My birthday is December 18th. I guess I'm lucky, because if it was a hassle or a pain, I never knew it. My mother always made it special for me.

When I got married it was a bit weird. Although my husband was also great about it, his mother thought it was cute to give me "Christmas" birthday cards, holiday sweater and poinsettias.

I guess the one downside is that all the gifts, because of the season, are usually winter oriented, be they clothes or toys. I would get k-tel fun skis or a sled, whereas my May birthday sister would get a bike or a jumprope. Thankfully, Mother's Day has evened that out, at least for me. ;)

But no, I don't think it's weird, but I guess it depends on the age or your kid, and whether or not he is cool with it.

Is this a crazy idea?

That is a crazy idea. If you decide to do this please also budget money for therapy. Your child will need it once they turn 18.

Your birthday is your birthday. Make them feel special whenever it is. :-P

Sorry son, you have been moved for budget reasons, lol.

Archived