MEvis trade ideas

Larz

WOW!!and double WOW!!i dont know for facts,because i am not tanny and not revis,but i think the jets at this point in time,would be more than happy to pay 13m for 5 or 6 year with a guarantee of 5 or 6m.i dont beleive those figures are what revis is looking for

From what I understand, the Jets didnt present a contract without any guranteed money from jump. I dont think that if Revis was offered a 13 million dollar contract with 5 or 6 million guaranteed per year that he would have considered that contract "disrespectful".

I actually think that he would sign that if it was like an 8 year deal.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mehta has reported, before all this crap went down in the past 3 days, that one of the offers the Jets offered MEvi$ was 10 years, $150 million, $50 million guaranteed, structured the same way D'Brickashaw Ferguson's extension was. But of course, MEvi$ is too good too accept such a deal. :rolleyes:

Mehta has reported, before all this crap went down in the past 3 days, that one of the offers the Jets offered MEvi$ was 10 years, $150 million, $50 million guaranteed, structured the same way D'Brickashaw Ferguson's extension was. But of course, MEvi$ is too good too accept such a deal. :rolleyes:

D'Brick's deal is not a great one. I don't blame Revis' camp for turning down anything structured in such a way. They can offer $500M, but without genuine guarantees the thing is worthless.

Revis would be best off taking a "band-aid" deal, then negotiate a long term deal under a new CBA where they can guarantee big chunks of salary for both skill and injury.

D'Brick's deal is not a great one. I don't blame Revis' camp for turning down anything structured in such a way. They can offer $500M, but without genuine guarantees the thing is worthless.

Revis would be best off taking a "band-aid" deal, then negotiate a long term deal under a new CBA where they can guarantee big chunks of salary for both skill and injury.

What if this new CBA involves the huge pay cut that Homoname Smith and Mawae keep talking about? Then Revis will have lost money by not renegociating now.

Have you all lost your minds? He will not be traded and a restructured deal will be done soon. After the CBA mess is sorted out then a long term deal will be done. I think all of you who want to trade him now are grossly overreacting to this entire situation.

I haven't seen anyone advocating trading him if a deal can be (or is) reached.

If his hard-line stance is $16M per year starting this year or I'm not playing then yes, ship him out. The problem is that you'd have a hard time finding any team who wants him at that price AND is willing to give up significant draft picks to get him on top of that.

Have you all lost your minds? He will not be traded and a restructured deal will be done soon. After the CBA mess is sorted out then a long term deal will be done. I think all of you who want to trade him now are grossly overreacting to this entire situation.

The way I see it Revis really means this stuff about getting more than Aso.

What convinces me is that he was willing to holdout and thus lose $20M in guaranteed money. That act went a long way towards convincing me that Revis won't play without getting whats really more money than the Jets are willing to give him. So trade him.

What convinces me is that he was willing to holdout and thus lose $20M in guaranteed money. That act went a long way towards convincing me that Revis won't play without getting whats really more money than the Jets are willing to give him. So trade him.

When did he lose $20m in guaranteed $$$???? When did that happen????

When did he lose $20m in guaranteed $$$???? When did that happen????

The original contract was for 4 years and the Jets can pick up an option on an extra two years paying him $20M guaranteed on the condition that there are no holdouts. By holding out for even a single day the Jets can now pick up the option for 2 more years without the money being guaranteed.

Revis would not have taken this drastic step if he wasn't serious about going for huge money.

I still think it's long term security that's the issue. That money isn't guaranteed now. He'd have to get thru all of 2010 at $550K completely intact for the Jets to pick up those two years. If Revis were to get seriously hurt, he'd never see that money. So rather than risk future earnings for a mere $550K -the Jets have leaked they've offered him as much as $150M over 10 years!- he wants some money upfront now, and the best guarantees they can give him. He wants some assurances that he'll be compensated for the valuable commody that is his talent on the field.

The Jets have come out and said they want to make him the highest paid CB in the league. Holding out on a deal that was scheduled to make him about $5.5M over the next two years really isn't that big of a financial risk for him - and doesn't require $15.101M/year to rectify.

he wants some money upfront now, and the best guarantees they can give him.

The problem is that I don't think the best guarantees they can give him without potentially blowing up next year's cap will be enough to satify him, given the current restrictions and uncertainty... his holdout has all but ensured that the Jets are not going to fork over an obscene signing bonus this year and hope that Revis will show up next year on good faith to play for a "meager", cap-friendly salary - whether it's guaranteed or not.

If Revis is insistent on the money being fully guaranteed, then they're at an impasse under the reallocation rule, unless he's willing to have the Jets guarantee for skill and then take out an insurance policy against injury. Beyond that, I think the biggest issues is that in order to give him upfront money, it requires signing a new deal, which will then be restricted by the 30% rule. Since his 2009 cap number was ~$7.5m (thanks to a $5.7m roster bonus), it's not an issue for the Jets to pay him a large base salary on a new deal, like it is for guys like LaMarr Woodley. The problem lies in the cap implications for 2011, as they can't pay him a large base salary this year and then reduce his compensation by more than 30% for 2011.

Under the provisions in his original contract, with the buyback, Revis's 2011 cap number is ~$6.25m... a new deal could double that number. Do you think it was an accident that the terms of his rookie deal called for a team-friendly cap number in 2011, the year in which they needed to re-up Ferguson, Mangold, and Harris?

If this drags on past August 10th, I'd love to see the Jets leak at least some of the terms of their offer(s). I think there's room for them to be fair, but they're going to want a team-friendly deal to re-work a contract that has 3 years remaining on it - and rightfully so.

The problem lies in the cap implications for 2011, as they can't pay him a large base salary this year and then reduce his compensation by more than 30% for 2011.

Just wanted to add that the one exception to this would be to write in some easily attainable "not likely to be reached incentives" into this year's deal, like the Niners did in Willis's deal, as they do not count in the 30% rule calculation. I doubt, however, that this would be amenable to Revis and his camp, nor do I think he has any interest in making his deal cap-friendly in the least.

The problem is that I don't think the best guarantees they can give him without potentially blowing up next year's cap will be enough to satify him, given the current restrictions and uncertainty... his holdout has all but ensured that the Jets are not going to fork over an obscene signing bonus this year and hope that Revis will show up next year on good faith to play for a "meager", cap-friendly salary - whether it's guaranteed or not.

I agree that Revis and his team need to understand that the Jets aren't going to fork over a $30M signing bonus, and that there are rules in place from preventing them from guaranteeing salaries 100%. I do think a bonus in the $15M range would be fair, though, given his current salary of $550K. They could get creative with the bonuses, too. Call them roster or reporting bonuses - something that won't be prorated over the life of the deal. Everyone agrees that Tanny is good at this contract stuff, he should be able to do some finagling to benefit himself and Revis here.

If this drags on past August 10th, I'd love to see the Jets leak at least some of the terms of their offer(s). I think there's room for them to be fair, but they're going to want a team-friendly deal to re-work a contract that has 3 years remaining on it - and rightfully so.

I think the Jets are keeping things close to the vest because they haven't offered Revis anything close to market value for the next two years. A $4/5M bump in pay this year isn't going to get it done. A $12/15M bump should, though.

I do also agree that Revis' camp should be willing to compromise based on the fact that he has those three years left, but if the Jets are looking to extend his deal out another 7 or 8 years (as some reports suggest), having the average beat Aso's $15.1M is probably not unreasonable. Especially when you're talking about big salaries in the last years when Revis is 34, 35 years old - and it's the Jets coming to him looking to redo the deal or cut him.

I agree that Revis and his team need to understand that the Jets aren't going to fork over a $30M signing bonus, and that there are rules in place from preventing them from guaranteeing salaries 100%. I do think a bonus in the $15M range would be fair, though, given his current salary of $550K. They could get creative with the bonuses, too. Call them roster or reporting bonuses - something that won't be prorated over the life of the deal. Everyone agrees that Tanny is good at this contract stuff, he should be able to do some finagling to benefit himself and Revis here.

I think the Jets are keeping things close to the vest because they haven't offered Revis anything close to market value for the next two years. A $4/5M bump in pay this year isn't going to get it done. A $12/15M bump should, though.

I do also agree that Revis' camp should be willing to compromise based on the fact that he has those three years left, but if the Jets are looking to extend his deal out another 7 or 8 years (as some reports suggest), having the average beat Aso's $15.1M is probably not unreasonable. Especially when you're talking about big salaries in the last years when Revis is 34, 35 years old - and it's the Jets coming to him looking to redo the deal or cut him.

Again, I have to think that one of the things Tanny is most concerned with is Revis's cap number for next year... the cap last year was $128m and they are already near $100m on existing deals for next season without factoring in Mangold or Harris. There are a bunch of potential casualties that will net some savings (BT, Tomlinson, Jason Taylor), but if the owners get the cap reduction they're seeking, increasing Revis's scheduled cap number by ~$10m for next season could either mean further veteran cuts (Jenkins, Woody) or letting Harris and/or Mangold walk.

I don't have an issue with paying Revis fair market value, but I do have an issue with considering Aso's contract to be the benchmark. As in any negotiation, there's a middle ground to be found, but there seems to be a sense intransigence in Revis's camp. If he's just looking to get paid, no matter the implications to the team, then I'd give him the option to either play out his existing contract or let him hold out indefinitely.

I really hope that Cromarte and Wilson pan out for us. As talented as MEvi$ is, the team would be in better shape locking up other key guys on the roster now, rather than going to salary cap hell because of one player. Take the best player(s)/pick(s) deal and move on.

I really hope that Cromarte and Wilson pan out for us. As talented as MEvi$ is, the team would be in better shape locking up other key guys on the roster now, rather than going to salary cap hell because of one player. Take the best player(s)/pick(s) deal and move on.

There isn't a salary cap this year.

The Jets have to use that in their favor — not the other way around.

There isn't a salary cap this year.

The Jets have to use that in their favor — not the other way around.

This argument is asinine. The only way to take advantage of the uncapped year is to pay an obscene signing bonus, which wasn't likely to happen before the holdout and is infinitely less likely in the wake of it.

This argument is asinine. The only way to take advantage of the uncapped year is to pay an obscene signing bonus, which wasn't likely to happen before the holdout and is infinitely less likely in the wake of it.

Who cares?

You feel bad for Woody's deep pockets?

I sure as hell don't.

Who cares?

You feel bad for Woody's deep pockets?

I sure as hell don't.

My statement has zero to do with concern for the financial well-being of Robert Wood Johnson and everything to do with the reality that the Jets are not going to pay a sizebale bonus given the possibility of a work stoppage, especially not to a player who is in the midst of his second holdout in 3 years.

It's fine and dandy to take the "pay the man" stance, but those of us who live with our feet planted firmly on the ground know that it's not quite that simple.

Archived