MEvis trade ideas

Larz

I agree.

No.

Seriously.

Doesn't guarantee our chances, either.

So Tannenbaum should offer him a ten year contract? He didn't honor the one he had for six.

Your turn.

Direct me to the post where I guaranteed a Super Bowl championship in the year 2011 if we re-signed Darrelle Revis.

Your turn.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Direct me to the post where I guaranteed a Super Bowl championship in the year 2011 if we re-signed Darrelle Revis.

Your turn.

Why are you getting huffy with me?

YOu said that (paraphrase) "If you're happy with no championships in 40 years, I'm not".

That was an implication, was it not?

I agree. But my point is, all the money in the world in his pocket is not going to guarantee that. On the other hand, giving him a bag of balloons and telling him to take a nice long vacation doesn't guarantee we won't.

In any event, I don't think it's a legitimate argument to make in a contract negotiation.

I agree, and thats why I disagree with most fans. because they're looking at the situation outside of context. This is business for the player. Its a sport for us. When a player is that critical to your defense being able to do what it does I think you pay him, maybe not what he wanted exactly, but pretty close. Revis is at this moment a step beyond the rest of the league. You know how there's certain players that when you see them you instantly see that they've just added an evolutionary notch to the game? Revis is that type of player. He's not just good, he's doing things many people have never seen before. I think you keep him, because with a defensive mind like Rex you can replace alot of the other pieces on that defense as long as you have that shut down corner there.

Revis is that type of talent. I said it last year, im going to say it now, Im not worried about the holdout at all, because I think Tanny knows what Revis means to Rex and this teams chances of winning a SB.

Revis will certainly be a future hall of famer, but I think that last year is only the start. I dont think we've even seen the best from this guy. This is his 2nd year into this system. This is is going to change the game of football kinda like the way Lawrence Taylor did.

Why are you getting huffy with me?

YOu said that (paraphrase) "If you're happy with no championships in 40 years, I'm not".

That was an implication, was it not?

If I were getting huffy, you'd know it.

The implication was not an immediate insta-championship just by resigning Revis. The implication was that I believe that we will win a championship soon and that Darrelle Revis will be a massive part in that. And if we were to trade him, we could kiss those aspirations goodbye for the forseeable future.

If I were getting huffy, you'd know it.

The implication was not an immediate insta-championship just by resigning Revis. The implication was that I believe that we will win a championship soon and that Darrelle Revis will be a massive part in that. And if we were to trade him, we could kiss those aspirations goodbye for the forseeable future.

I see. So...

Because the Jets haven't won a championship in 40 years, revis can hold the team and the season hostage any time he is so inclined to do so, because you believe "we will win a championship soon".

Would you seriously make an argument like that in a court of law if it was your money on the table?

I agree, and thats why I disagree with most fans. because they're looking at the situation outside of context. This is business for the player. Its a sport for us. When a player is that critical to your defense being able to do what it does I think you pay him, maybe not what he wanted exactly, but pretty close.

I agree with you about paying him, but we don't know what he is asking. It very well could be an unreasonable demand.

Revis is at this moment a step beyond the rest of the league. You know how there's certain players that when you see them you instantly see that they've just added an evolutionary notch to the game? Revis is that type of player. He's not just good, he's doing things many people have never seen before. I think you keep him, because with a defensive mind like Rex you can replace alot of the other pieces on that defense as long as you have that shut down corner there.

True.

Revis is that type of talent. I said it last year, im going to say it now, Im not worried about the holdout at all, because I think Tanny knows what Revis means to Rex and this teams chances of winning a SB.

Once again, I think the SB is irrelevant to the contract negotiation, unless Revis can guarantee it.

I see. So...

Because the Jets haven't won a championship in 40 years, revis can hold the team and the season hostage any time he is so inclined to do so, because you believe "we will win a championship soon".

Would you seriously make an argument like that in a court of law if it was your money on the table?

Any time he wants to? Where do you get the impression that he would do that? Darrelle Revis has never been anything but class. He's under a rookie contract in which he is paid like the 14th pick in the draft. He's the best defensive player in football. He deserves a new contract. He has infinitely outplayed his old one. There is absolutely nothing in the past history of Darrelle Revis to give one the impression that he would do this on a yearly basis.

Wasn't it the Jets that demanded that Revis sign a six year deal instead of the customary five? You scratch our back, we'll **** you in the a$$.

I agree with you about paying him, but we don't know what he is asking. It very well could be an unreasonable demand.

He's asking for 50cents more than what Nnamdi is getting paid lol. Seriously, he's asking for alot, However, what he's really asking for is to not be hung out to dry. He wants guaranteed money. He wants to be important on that level because of his talent, and I think very few players have the ability to ask for that. He's one of the few with that ability. Give him 12 million with 5 million guaranteed.

Once again, I think the SB is irrelevant to the contract negotiation, unless Revis can guarantee it.

It may be irrelevant in the "court of law" as you stated to the troll earlier, but truth be told contracts are based on investments. The investment must satisfy the aspirations that you seek. What the Jets are looking for is a SB. so this isnt about if Revis can gurantee it, its about the Jets having a better chance getting to the SB by spending that type of money versus not and letting him be disgruntled and soon traded.

Revis clears any reasonable doubt in that department, which will make the 10 to 15 million dollar investment worth paying. Where the Raiders messed up is that they gave out a contract like that though they had nothing around Nnamdi on Defense and they didnt have anything on offense and they changed coaches like the way Dennis Rodman changed up hair colors in his day. The Jets are at the point that they could cement a dynasty With Tanny behind the scene, Rex coaching, Mark leading the offense and Revis leading the defense.

IMO there's 4 things you keep on a football team. A great coach, a good QB a great LT and a Shutdown Corner. The Jets have that and much much more.

I think that we do know what was said. Revis stated what was said and though the Jets didnt confirm it, they certainly didnt deny it. When the Jets said that they offered Leon 5 million I remember Leon on SNY saying that it wasnt true, that he didnt deny 5 million and didnt get a contract nowhere near 5 million a year. However, all we did was blame Leon and his agent. Now we're doing the same thing with Revis and his uncle.

Someone is lying here, and given that at the end of the day the organization ALWAYS holds all the cards I have to give Revis the benefit of the doubt...especially when the Jets FO has the opportunity to put the rumor to bed and didnt.

Look it's all hearsay, and it's also a two edged sword.

If the Jets come out and call somebody a liar, it's just going to make getting a deal done that much harder.

I wanted Leon signed, I want Revis signed, but I can't go by reports and rumors.

I can tell you I heard Revis say with his own mouth, that he wanted crazy Al Aso money, so that I can go on.

yeah, like Oakland is crippling. They're just drafting bad and has poor staffing for the most part i.e. Paul Hackett (though this year I like their QB and their draft class). Crippling is letting Lane Kiffin go and making a fool out of yourself with a lazy QB. Your saying isnt as relevant because the contract wont cripple the team and we both know it.

Bad drafting and personnel decisions is exactly why Oakland doesn't have as much of a problem carrying such a huge contract for a CB... who the hell does Oakland have that's worth re-signing to a big contract?

If they had players like Mangold, Harris, and Ferguson that they needed to re-up, you can bet your a$$ that Nnamdi's contract would be a hindrance.

Bad drafting and personnel decisions is exactly why Oakland doesn't have as much of a problem carrying such a huge contract for a CB... who the hell does Oakland have that's worth re-signing to a big contract?

If they had players like Mangold, Harris, and Ferguson that they needed to re-up, you can bet your a$$ that Nnamdi's contract would be a hindrance.

Good point.

Look it's all hearsay, and it's also a two edged sword.

If the Jets come out and call somebody a liar, it's just going to make getting a deal done that much harder.

I wanted Leon signed, I want Revis signed, but I can't go by reports and rumors.

I can tell you I heard Revis say with his own mouth, that he wanted crazy Al Aso money, so that I can go on.

its not "reports and rumors" it was reiteration by a player directly part of the negotiation. Also, you dont have to call someone a "liar" in order to clarify what was actually said publicly "for the record". That didnt happen now did it?

This isnt the courtroom so im not going with the hearsay piece. They could have easily said that there must have been a misunderstand in what we were saying and then say what was said again. They took the road of simply not making a comment.

Better yet, My sig sums it up quite well. Its from Slats. He states it better than I could.

its not "reports and rumors" it was reiteration by a player directly part of the negotiation. Also, you dont have to call someone a "liar" in order to clarify what was actually said publicly "for the record". That didnt happen now did it?

This isnt the courtroom so im not going with the hearsay piece. They could have easily said that there must have been a misunderstand in what we were saying and then say what was said again. They took the road of simply not making a comment.

Better yet, My sig sums it up quite well. Its from Slats. He states it better than I could.

Again when someone says what someone else said that's hearsay, and there was no way the Jets could have responded to the contrary without calling someone a liar.

The Jets did not confirm anything either, so it's basically choosing sides.

Based on how Revis has acted, handling this whole thing it makes it hard for me to choose his side on this.

Now if it comes out that he's not holding out for ridiculous money, then I will support him, but right now everything points to that he is.

Again when someone says what someone else said that's hearsay, and there was no way the Jets could have responded to the contrary without calling someone a liar.

The Jets did not confirm anything either, so it's basically choosing sides.

Based on how Revis has acted, handling this whole thing it makes it hard for me to choose his side on this.

Now if it comes out that he's not holding out for ridiculous money, then I will support him, but right now everything points to that he is.

He's holding out because he's worth that money. He is also holding out because of what they told him (you can call it hearsay if you like, but they havent denied it). The key to rex ryans defense is the corners. You need shutdown corners to allow him to do what he does. Revis "right now" is the best in the world. Not only that but he can play either side of the field plus cover the slot, and he's a sure tackler who can take down a WR or a RB. He has sure hands and creates turnovers for you. He's a CB that you can literally keep on an island with no help for 60 mins and it will be okay week in and week out and is healthy enough to do it for 16 regular games as well as the playoffs.

What he's asking for isnt ridiculous. Thats the problem, you think its ridiculous...but that doesnt mean that his worth isnt that. The Jets need to negotiate, and negotiations require in a situation such as this guaranteed money.

He's holding out because he's worth that money. He is also holding out because of what they told him (you can call it hearsay if you like, but they havent denied it). The key to rex ryans defense is the corners. You need shutdown corners to allow him to do what he does. Revis "right now" is the best in the world. Not only that but he can play either side of the field plus cover the slot, and he's a sure tackler who can take down a WR or a RB. He has sure hands and creates turnovers for you. He's a CB that you can literally keep on an island with no help for 60 mins and it will be okay week in and week out and is healthy enough to do it for 16 regular games as well as the playoffs.

What he's asking for isnt ridiculous. Thats the problem, you think its ridiculous...but that doesnt mean that his worth isnt that. The Jets need to negotiate, and negotiations require in a situation such as this guaranteed money.

revis is guaranteed to make 20 million bucks if he gets hurt and never plays again after week 1

boo hoo poor guy!

revis is guaranteed to make 20 million bucks if he gets hurt and never plays again after week 1

boo hoo poor guy!

No he's not. He'll get his $550K salary for this year, and then some lame injury settlement based on his original rookie contract. Big difference.

16+ million per with everything guaranteed is ridiculous, even though he's that good, and that's what he wants.

How should the Jets negotiate with him when he refuses to meet with them, ESP?

16+ million per with everything guaranteed is ridiculous, even though he's that good, and that's what he wants.

Thats what he wants. And its the FO's job to negotiate with him to where both sides can agree. Presenting a contract with not even a portion of the contract guaranteed is AGAIN, just as ridiculous. No need for us to go through this, he's going to get a great contract from the Jets because Revis has already showed face to the fact that he's willing to put 20 million of currently guaranteed money in his existing contract out the window for this. So that means that it shouldnt surprise people if he holds out for quite some time. At the end of the day, like I said, Rex and Tanny knows whats up and they're going to talk to Woody, and they're going to let Woody know that Revis has some big cojones and he's displaying them....pay him. And he'll be paid and he'll be on the field for the monday night opener against the Ravens.

Thats hearsay. Neither you nor myself heard Revis say that lmao. Thats ridiculous I know. I'll put out my opinion on this though. Why go for a meeting when you're holding out? The purpose of the hold out is to let them know that they're not in the facinity financially yet. He may not be talking...but his agent is....you can bet your bottom dollar on that one.

He's letting his agent do the talking, which is what he's supposed to do. He was talking during OTA's. They didnt want to listen then, now put your main man on the job. sh*t, I hope Revis is asking for 20 mil, just to piss you off Brooklyn lmao. :-)

^ best poster on the site, i will buy you a beer at the next game

There's been nothing anywhere that suggests that Revis is looking for a 100% guaranteed contract. I'm sure he'd love one, but that's never been listed as one of his demands from either side. He wants some reasonable real guarantees, unlike the deal D'Brick signed.

Don't know the scoop on the lack of meeting, being that we've only heard about that from Tanny's camp. Could be that he's not holding any meetings until the Jets agree to put some significant money up front on the phone. It's not unreasonable to say I need this one condition met before getting together to hammer out a deal. If the Jets can't tell him that they'll give him satisfactory bonuses or guarantees up front, why waste their time? Each side should have a pretty good idea of what the other is looking for at this point, no?

There's been nothing anywhere that suggests that Revis is looking for a 100% guaranteed contract. I'm sure he'd love one, but that's never been listed as one of his demands from either side. He wants some reasonable real guarantees, unlike the deal D'Brick signed.

Don't know the scoop on the lack of meeting, being that we've only heard about that from Tanny's camp. Could be that he's not holding any meetings until the Jets agree to put some significant money up front on the phone. It's not unreasonable to say I need this one condition met before getting together to hammer out a deal. If the Jets can't tell him that they'll give him satisfactory bonuses or guarantees up front, why waste their time? Each side should have a pretty good idea of what the other is looking for at this point, no?

I'd hope so slats, but at this point I can't see how sitting down to try to get these demands clarified and met would hurt.

Thats what he wants. And its the FO's job to negotiate with him to where both sides can agree. Presenting a contract with not even a portion of the contract guaranteed is AGAIN, just as ridiculous. No need for us to go through this, he's going to get a great contract from the Jets because Revis has already showed face to the fact that he's willing to put 20 million of currently guaranteed money in his existing contract out the window for this. So that means that it shouldnt surprise people if he holds out for quite some time. At the end of the day, like I said, Rex and Tanny knows whats up and they're going to talk to Woody, and they're going to let Woody know that Revis has some big cojones and he's displaying them....pay him. And he'll be paid and he'll be on the field for the monday night opener against the Ravens.

Thats hearsay. Neither you nor myself heard Revis say that lmao. Thats ridiculous I know. I'll put out my opinion on this though. Why go for a meeting when you're holding out? The purpose of the hold out is to let them know that they're not in the facinity financially yet. He may not be talking...but his agent is....you can bet your bottom dollar on that one.

He's letting his agent do the talking, which is what he's supposed to do. He was talking during OTA's. They didnt want to listen then, now put your main man on the job. sh*t, I hope Revis is asking for 20 mil, just to piss you off Brooklyn lmao. :-)

Revis is supposed to want to get this thing done so he could be a Jet long term no?

At this point I can't see how it would hurt to sit down, his agent would be present.

I wan't him signed but if he is asking, for 20 mil I hope his "main man" is ready to lose out.

I see your point, but before I address that let me really address whats RIDICULOUS in the NFL.

Its ridiculous to make a rookie QB the highest paid player in franchise history (Sanchez) because the NFL has created a monster with these 1st round rookie contracts. This is how we have bust like JaMarcus Russell hurting teams for years after he's gone.

Its ridiculous to not be able to avoid the cap in order to pay a player that you originally drafted. Whats the point of drafting well year after year like Tanny has when you end up not being able to keep them all because you cant afford 16 million but some team like the Rams could...so they get your draft pick at the prime of his career and all you get is the bad taste of all the hard work that you put into a player tha is now tearing the league up for another team.

Its ridiculous that the players are looked at as greedy when everyday their talents are being pimped by organizations that have money to burn. Nothing is ever said about that. I never seen a player bankrupt a team because he was paid so much.

Its ridiculous how fans are so quick to turn on a guy which (and I dont think anyone could deny this) is the #1 reason why we even made it to the playoffs or as far as we did in the playoffs.

Now for your roofing job. I think thats quite different than Revis situation. Revis KNOWS that there's teams that would pay him 15 million right now. He makes any team a playoff contender and some other teams (like the texans) Superbowl contenders. You had to take that job because there's wasnt many other options out there for you so $13 was better than nothing. But in Revis case, he KNOWS that he can get pretty close to what he wants but he simply wants it from the team who promised it from him. And if they dont keep their promise then whats the point in loyalty when the organization can lie to your face and then smile at you?

villian,i agree with your state above about being rediculous.but i think you missed the roofing point.first of all,i dont beleive there is 1 team out there that will satisfy revis damands and the jets demands to able to sign/trade for revis.second,the guy i was roofing for came to me wanting to give me a raise when he didnt have to so quickly.thirdly,the $13 an hour was pretty close to what i wanted so i took it.in your own admission,thats the best he can get from any team which is close to what he wants.

the way i look at it,revis has the right to use aso contract as a starting point,not a demand.as far as tanny saying he wants to "rip up"his old contract and pay him more than aso,i dont beleive that for a second.something along the lines of an extention making him the highest paid db in the league was probably what was said.there are many ways to make revis the highest paid player in the league and is what i beleive tanny presented to the table.multi year,100m contract.isnt revis's uncle,gilbert,who not only sat out an entire season,but also stated in a press conference that GOD came to him in a dream and TOLD him that he needs 22.5m??the same uncle who is knee deep in revis's contract business?think about that for a momment.

revis is a money first player who has a large ego.revis is doing what he has to do and i dont have a problem with that,for now.he isnt hurting anything,right now.i hope the jets and revis meet in the middle and make everyone happy.but my interpetation of this,after thinking about it last night,is that it wont.revis will regret the day he held out passed the aug 10th deadline.do you think for a second,being that tanny traded up for this guy in the draft,paid him more for his rookie contract than his slot dictated after holdout #1,comes to revis offering him a raise that he didnt have to do,have revis holdout and jeopordise(dont think i spelled that right)the most anticipated season ever,that he is going to be NICE and cave into revis??especially if tanny beleives he made revis more than a fair off(we dont know all the details)???with nutcase gilbert in revis's ear,(that is what made me reconsider last night)this is going to get ugly,unless revis starts being more open minded.

ps.i am not in the camp of paying revis 15m+ per for the duration of his contract.that is rediculous and is all star qb money.plain and simple.ask yourself,who is more important to their team.manning to the colts or revis to the jets.lets be honest about this one

one more thing to add.for those of you who want to trade revis or if your in the camp that if the jets dont pay him what he wants,there is a team out there that will.think again.ask your self this question.name 1 player in the nfl that you would be willing to give up draft picks(at least a 1st and a 2nd)_and at the same time give him a contract to meet 50% to 60% more than the top player at that position?now throw in the fact that he held out twice in 3 years.be honest.i asked myself that same question and i came up with?nobody

one more thing to add.for those of you who want to trade revis or if your in the camp that if the jets dont pay him what he wants,there is a team out there that will.think again.ask your self this question.name 1 player in the nfl that you would be willing to give up draft picks(at least a 1st and a 2nd)_and at the same time give him a contract to meet 50% to 60% more than the top player at that position?now throw in the fact that he held out twice in 3 years.be honest.i asked myself that same question and i came up with?nobody

All it takes is one team willing to spend very heavily for the best CB in football. A player in the discussion for league's best defender and GOAT at CB. A player who has never had a single off field issue. A self-motivated player who shows up to succeed everyday. Just one team who feels that they're that one player away from a championship, and knowing that he's not going to piss it away by doing something stupid in a bar or a dog fighting ring. Just one.

Guaranteed, one team is out there. Easily.

Let's hope it doesn't come to that, because while Revis will get paid, the Jets would never get equal value back in return.

All it takes is one team willing to spend very heavily for the best CB in football. A player in the discussion for league's best defender and GOAT at CB. A player who has never had a single off field issue. A self-motivated player who shows up to succeed everyday. Just one team who feels that they're that one player away from a championship, and knowing that he's not going to piss it away by doing something stupid in a bar or a dog fighting ring. Just one.

Let's hope it doesn't come to that, because while Revis will get paid, the Jets would never get equal value back in return.

ok.i dont agree,but lets say there is 1 team out there willing to OVERPAY by a huge margin.plus give up draft picks.plus deal with the fact that he held out twice and there is no certainty that he wont do it again.lets say all that pans out.i seriously doubt that its going to be a team who feels they are one player away from a championship.because most teams that are good and feel they are 1 player away,like the jets,have alot of other quality players that they need to take care of,and have front offices who are smart enough to realize that that kinda deal can cripple a franchise for quite some time

I "heart" you Slats. You've been on a role this week with your posts. I dont know where people get off thinking that people wouldnt be interested in Revis for 13 million a year with 5 or 6 million guaranteed when he can take a defense and instantly shut down half a football field. And its certainly going in the right direction when putting together a SB caliber defense.

I "heart" you Slats. You've been on a role this week with your posts. I dont know where people get off thinking that people wouldnt be interested in Revis for 13 million a year with 5 or 6 million guaranteed when he can take a defense and instantly shut down half a football field. And its certainly going in the right direction when putting together a SB caliber defense.

WOW!!and double WOW!!i dont know for facts,because i am not tanny and not revis,but i think the jets at this point in time,would be more than happy to pay 13m for 5 or 6 year with a guarantee of 5 or 6m.i dont beleive those figures are what revis is looking for

Archived