Jets - Mangold agree to contract

Bergen Jet

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jets | Reach agreement on seven-year deal with Nick Mangold

Comment (0) Tweet! Share on Facebook

Mon, 23 Aug 2010 16:30:12 -0400

Updating a previous item, the New York Jets have reached an agreement on a seven-year, $55 million contract with C Nick Mangold, report The Star-Ledger's Dave Hutchinson and Jenny Vrentas, citing a source with direct knowledge of the details of the contract. The amount of guaranteed money is still being negotiated, but it is expected to be more than the $20 million St. Louis Rams C Jason Brown received last season.

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl#ixzz0xTsj9l9j

All-Pro center Nick Mangold and the Jets have reached an agreement on a new, seven-year deal worth $55 million, according to someone with direct knowledge of the details of the contract.

That person requested anonymity because they are not authorized to speak for Mangold or the team. The amount of guaranteed money is still being negotiated but is expected to be more than the $20 million Rams center Jason Brown received last year.

I don't know how they can call it an agreement when they haven't figured out the guarantees yet. This has an in your face feel to it from the Jets PR dept. to Revis.

As much as I wanted Brick locked up long term too, seeing him sign first when he still had two years left while reports were that there were absolutely no conversations between the Jets and Mangold's people was beyond frustrating. I'm ecstatic that this has been taken care of, and will only make it that much easier on the Jets when they're put in the unenviable situation next year of having to worry about UFAs of Harris, Holmes, Edwards and Cromartie. Not to mention Ellis and a few others who can't all be replaced in one offseason.

I hope Cromartie plays well enough that the Jets want to resign him. He still looks afraid of contact to me. I think if the WR's find a groove with Sanchez that they would have to take priority.

I don't know how they can call it an agreement when they haven't figured out the guarantees yet. This has an in your face feel to it from the Jets PR dept. to Revis.

Which leads me to believe the Jets felt a need to make an "in your face" message towards revis... Which leads me to believe that a deal is probably not imminent.

Doubtful.

They have most likely been working on Mangold's deal as long as Revis'. It just wasn't played out in the media.

I hope Cromartie plays well enough that the Jets want to resign him. He still looks afraid of contact to me. I think if the WR's find a groove with Sanchez that they would have to take priority.

I cant see Cromartie or Braylon staying on this team. I am still not sold on Braylon because I think he is too much like Kerry Rhodes in the aspect that this team is not their top priority. Cromartie is going to want a big pay day well because he has 8 kids and they don't pay for themselves. I hope we keep Santonio. I think this was the best move of the offseason and Im really excited to see him to get in there in week 5

Sounds pretty cut and dry to me. They agreed on term and compensation and are now negotiating guarantees.

Great news about Mangold. Makes 100% sense to get it done now.

That's because the issue with Revis has NEVER BEEN ABOUT GUARANTEED MONEY!!!!

I really can't fathom why you cling to that spin-doctor nonsense from Team Revis.

Just last week National Football Post posted an article indicating that Team Revis view Revis on par with Brady, Peyton, and Brees and, thus, his contract should be in that neighborhood. He transcended CB money, that's why they didn't view Asomougha's deal as an aberration.

It has been, and always was, about Revis wanting a 6 to 10 yr deal at $16 million. If the Jets and Revis are now close to an agreement then Revis has come down from that possible.

Seriously, Slats, your utter disregard of EVERY ARTICLE on the subject detailing inside info staggers me.

I cant see Cromartie or Braylon staying on this team. I am still not sold on Braylon because I think he is too much like Kerry Rhodes in the aspect that this team is not their top priority. Cromartie is going to want a big pay day well because he has 8 kids and they don't pay for themselves. I hope we keep Santonio. I think this was the best move of the offseason and Im really excited to see him to get in there in week 5

We'll probably know what happens with Cromartie this offseason by Week 1... If Revis is dressed and on the field that game, then Cro is probably 1 and done as a Jet. If things remain as they are now, well, we need some sure thing to compliment Wilson.

That's because the issue with Revis has NEVER BEEN ABOUT GUARANTEED MONEY!!!!

I really can't fathom why you cling to that spin-doctor nonsense from Team Revis.

Just last week National Football Post posted an article indicating that Team Revis view Revis on par with Brady, Peyton, and Brees and, thus, his contract should be in that neighborhood. He transcended CB money, that's why they didn't view Asomougha's deal as an aberration.

It has been, and always was, about Revis wanting a 6 to 10 yr deal at $16 million. If the Jets and Revis are now close to an agreement then Revis has come down from that possible.

Seriously, Slats, your utter disregard of EVERY ARTICLE on the subject detailing inside info staggers me.

I fully aware of the $16M/year desires of Team Revis and never once disputed them. I have stated many times that I believe it's a (rather hardline) negotiating stance, but that in the end he will sign for less. If that $16M figure is all he cares about, then he won't sign. At that time, you can tell me how amazingly correct you and the folks at National Football Post were.

But you're the one who's completely out to lunch if you don't think that the guaranteed money is the primary objective for Revis. Nothing else matters in the unguaranteed world of NFL contracts. I can't fathom your utter disregard for statements directly from Revis camp specifically citing the lack of guarantees coming from the Jets as a major hurdle in negotiations. Not rumor, not speculation, but direct statements from his agent on the matter.

Somehow you're inclined to believe anything coming from Tanny -either directly, or hamming it up for the HBO cameras- while disregarding anything from Revis' camp. The truth of the matter is that both sides are posturing, and probably full of sh*t about 90% of the time. But you, and many others here, are so blinded by Revis' "greed," and have your feelings so hurt by his holdout, that you can't see both sides of the issue.

Revis has hurt himself in this regard by purposely staying off Hard Knocks. He made a statement saying he didn't want to be any more of a distraction (really trying to do the right thing in that regard), and as a result he's let the Jets drive the whole narrative. If he had a crew following him around, we could see how upset he was, we could see his agents tugging on their hair and talking about how Tanny wants to sign Revis with a token bonus or nothing at all. That would probably help Revis' PR immensely. I think they made a mistake there.

I'm honestly surprised that you've allowed yourself to believe the only side of the story you've really heard hook, line, and sinker.

, we could see his agents tugging on their hair and talking about how Tanny wants to sign Revis with a token bonus or nothing at all. That would probably help Revis' PR immensely. I think they made a mistake there.

slats, what do you make of the reports mangold is getting 20+ million guaranteed on a 55 mill deal ?

Sounds pretty cut and dry to me. They agreed on term and compensation and are now negotiating guarantees.

Haha! I understand that, too. This "leak" is tailor made to show how the Jets insistance on agreeing to total compensation can result in a deal getting done. You bought into that in a major way, and now the Jets have fed you a little confirmation.

It's too good a fit if you ask me.

I fully aware of the $16M/year desires of Team Revis and never once disputed them. I have stated many times that I believe it's a (rather hardline) negotiating stance, but that in the end he will sign for less. If that $16M figure is all he cares about, then he won't sign. At that time, you can tell me how amazingly correct you and the folks at National Football Post were.

But you're the one who's completely out to lunch if you don't think that the guaranteed money is the primary objective for Revis. Nothing else matters in the unguaranteed world of NFL contracts. I can't fathom your utter disregard for statements directly from Revis camp specifically citing the lack of guarantees coming from the Jets as a major hurdle in negotiations. Not rumor, not speculation, but direct statements from his agent on the matter.

Somehow you're inclined to believe anything coming from Tanny -either directly, or hamming it up for the HBO cameras- while disregarding anything from Revis' camp. The truth of the matter is that both sides are posturing, and probably full of sh*t about 90% of the time. But you, and many others here, are so blinded by Revis' "greed," and have your feelings so hurt by his holdout, that you can't see both sides of the issue.

Revis has hurt himself in this regard by purposely staying off Hard Knocks. He made a statement saying he didn't want to be any more of a distraction (really trying to do the right thing in that regard), and as a result he's let the Jets drive the whole narrative. If he had a crew following him around, we could see how upset he was, we could see his agents tugging on their hair and talking about how Tanny wants to sign Revis with a token bonus or nothing at all. That would probably help Revis' PR immensely. I think they made a mistake there.

I'm honestly surprised that you've allowed yourself to believe the only side of the story you've really heard hook, line, and sinker.

Good detailed response, but the fallacy of your position is revealed as follows.

If guaranteed money was Team Revis' primary goal then getting $16 million a year should have been irrelevant. There would be no need to have a "hard line" stance on $16 mil per if they wanted big guarantees. They could get big guarantees regardless on total compensation.

Further, the same day the $160 million demand comes out to the press Team Revis tells Florio that the Jets haven't offered guaranteed money. Well, we know that Tanny looks to agree on total compensation before guarantees. They've done that in the past. Is that a lie?

So, we're clear. If the Jets agree on total compensation before guarantees, then it's clear that any offer to Revis WOULD NOT include any guaranteed money. As such, Schwartz' crying to Florio is completely disingenuous. He knows how Tanny operates.

Further, I gather that Schefter, Glauber, Lombardi, Myers, etc. are all minions of Mike Tannenbaum under your opinion because each of them have written separate articles/blog posts stating that Revis insists on $16 mil per. Not that it's a secondary consideration. No, it is the MAIN consideration.

Haha! I understand that, too. This "leak" is tailor made to show how the Jets insistance on agreeing to total compensation can result in a deal getting done. You bought into that in a major way, and now the Jets have fed you a little confirmation.

It's too good a fit if you ask me.

We'll see when the deal gets done.

Good detailed response, but the fallacy of your position is revealed as follows.

If guaranteed money was Team Revis' primary goal then getting $16 million a year should have been irrelevant. There would be no need to have a "hard line" stance on $16 mil per if they wanted big guarantees. They could get big guarantees regardless on total compensation.

Further, the same day the $160 million demand comes out to the press Team Revis tells Florio that the Jets haven't offered guaranteed money. Well, we know that Tanny looks to agree on total compensation before guarantees. They've done that in the past. Is that a lie?

So, we're clear. If the Jets agree on total compensation before guarantees, then it's clear that any offer to Revis WOULD NOT include any guaranteed money. As such, Schwartz' crying to Florio is completely disingenuous. He knows how Tanny operates.

Further, I gather that Schefter, Glauber, Lombardi, Myers, etc. are all minions of Mike Tannenbaum under your opinion because each of them have written separate articles/blog posts stating that Revis insists on $16 mil per. Not that it's a secondary consideration. No, it is the MAIN consideration.

There's no fallacy outside of your need to use the word.

I have never once disputed the 10/$160 "demand," and yet you feel the need to bring it up to me 160,000,000 times as if I didn't hear you the first time. I am fully aware of it.

I continue to believe that it's a negotiating stance, just as Tannenbaum's refusal to discuss guarantees before total compensation is decided is a negotiating stance. Why you believe that either of those positions is written in stone continues to stagger me. These people are engaged in negotiations, and have dug into hard positions waiting for the other to blink. Both sides need to soften their stance if anything is going to get done.

I'll believe that Revis' $16/year stance is an actual non-negotiable demand when he either gets it or never plays football again. Until then, it's negotiation.

There's no fallacy outside of your need to use the word.

I have never once disputed the 10/$160 "demand," and yet you feel the need to bring it up to me 160,000,000 times as if I didn't hear you the first time. I am fully aware of it.

I continue to believe that it's a negotiating stance, just as Tannenbaum's refusal to discuss guarantees before total compensation is decided is a negotiating stance. Why you believe that either of those positions is written in stone continues to stagger me. These people are engaged in negotiations, and have dug into hard positions waiting for the other to blink. Both sides need to soften their stance if anything is going to get done.

I'll believe that Revis' $16/year stance is an actual non-negotiable demand when he either gets it or never plays football again. Until then, it's negotiation.

Right on.

I don't get why the Revisites get so worked up about his compensation but then don't say anything about David Harris. Because of his draft position Harris has been paid less than Mangold, Revis, D'brick. I'm too lazy to check but I bet those three have made more in single years than Harris has made over his entire contract. If your going to take a players side take Harris' side for every single possible reason. But no, instead we have to carry around homemade signs saying Justice For Revis!

before you go nuts that it isn't 100% guaranteed, lets just get it out there that under the uncapped year rules, it CAN"T be fully guaranteed, and the same rules apply to revis

Let's just get it out there? :lol: Are you suggesting that you're bringing something new to this discussion?

I'm not going nuts about anything. Mangold's free to sign whatever deal he thinks is best for him. Personally, I think he'd be being very generous if he didn't get a large chunk of that alleged $20M guaranteed up front. He's proven to be a good soldier, he's the best at his position, and he deserves it. Also in that vein, in this uncapped year Mangold's contract is the perfect place for the Jets to hide away some dollars to save against future salary caps.

But I have a feeling he didn't get a big bonus, because I think if he did Revis' camp would look to use that to help their cause. And also because teams aren't giving out big bonuses before the lockout.

Archived