Jets - Mangold agree to contract

Bergen Jet

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jets, center Nick Mangold reach agreement on seven-year, $55 million deal

Published: Monday, August 23, 2010, 7:18 PM     Updated: Monday, August 23, 2010, 7:52 PM

Star-Ledger Staff

Follow

Share this story

Story tools

Rich Kane/US Presswire

Rex Ryan called Nick Mangold "the best center in football."

By Dave Hutchinson and Jenny Vrentas

All-Pro center Nick Mangold and the Jets have reached an agreement on a new, seven-year deal worth $55 million, according to someone with direct knowledge of the details of the contract.

That person requested anonymity because they are not authorized to speak for Mangold or the team. The amount of guaranteed money is still being negotiated but is expected to be more than the $20 million Rams center Jason Brown received last year.

Brown set the previous mark for centers in the league with the five-year, $37.5 million contract, with $20 million in guarantees, he signed last year.

Mangold was scheduled to make $3.3 million this season, which will be included as the first year in the new deal. The sides were reported to be closing in on a deal last night, and his representatives flew in this morning to hammer out the final details.

Asked if how much he would enjoy being with the Jets long-term, Mangold said he “would love to.” Coach Rex Ryan agreed.

“You lock up the best center in football,” Ryan said. “That would be a huge thing for our franchise.”

Mangold is the second member of the Jets’ core of young starters to reach a long-term deal this year. Left tackle D’Brickashaw Ferguson signed a six-year, $60 million extension in July.

The team has been deadlocked in negotiations with All-Pro cornerback Darrelle Revis for more than six months. Asked earlier today if any deals other than Mangold’s, i.e. Revis’, are close, Ryan said, “that’d be news to me.”

YESSS!!! Lock up a top young Center until he's in his 30's and put all the pressure on Revis in one fell swoop!! Another job well done, Mr. Tannenbaum.

Oh, and in case anyone wanted to accuse the Jets of being cheap still, they just made Mangold the highest paid C in the history of the NFL.

To me the Jets have locked up the 2 most important members of the core 4.

Agreed. Revis would be great to get back, but even if we don't...We could definitely survive with Cro and Wilson being the 1-2 punch of the future at CB. No need whatsoever to even consider giving Revis 16m per. That would be ridiculous. I hope we can work out something for Harris as well, but as good as he is, we already have Bart Scott at ILB, which already seems to be one of the most easily replaceable positions in the game. Having 2 young studs at LT and C is waaayyy more important than 2 studs at CB and ILB.

I have a feeling he's gonna sign either Wednesday or Saturday. :)

Im not geting my hopes up. One person is saying that its happening, and everyone else in the world of the NFL is not only baffled as to where he got this info from, but seems to be reporting the contrary, that the 2 sides really couldn't be much further apart.

But hey, why not dream?

Agreed. Revis would be great to get back, but even if we don't...We could definitely survive with Cro and Wilson being the 1-2 punch of the future at CB. No need whatsoever to even consider giving Revis 16m per. That would be ridiculous. I hope we can work out something for Harris as well, but as good as he is, we already have Bart Scott at ILB, which already seems to be one of the most easily replaceable positions in the game. Having 2 young studs at LT and C is waaayyy more important than 2 studs at CB and ILB.

Obviously we all want Revis here as he is the best CB in the league. The fact that he wants Aso money is all sorts of crazy... Al Davis crazy to be exact. Revis needs to realize that the current highest paid cb was an ufa who had already been tagged and was in a much greater position of power than Revis. 13 mil a year average would be nice...

Im not geting my hopes up. One person is saying that its happening, and everyone else in the world of the NFL is not only baffled as to where he got this info from, but seems to be reporting the contrary, that the 2 sides really couldn't be much further apart.

But hey, why not dream?

Either way... We just locked up the best center in the game long term. So much for the Jets having no money and not rewarding their own.

But hey, why not dream?

I'm dreaming, baby!

But hey, why not dream?

No they're not. NO ONE is reporting that the two sides couldn't be further apart because neither side is confirming or denying anything as they currently have an agreed upon media blackout in effect.

Anyone claiming that the two sides are so far apart are basing their info on the last piece of unconfirmed conjecture that allegedly leaked to the media before the blackout began.

No they're not. NO ONE is reporting that the two sides couldn't be further apart because neither side is confirming or denying anything as they currently have an agreed upon media blackout in effect.

Anyone claiming that the two sides are so far apart are basing their info on the last piece of unconfirmed conjecture that allegedly leaked to the media before the blackout began.

Exactly. The same way all the beat writers had info that the tweet from yesterday was incorrect...

Schefter, Peter King, and Glauber have all released statements in one form or another citing league sources stating that the 2 sides have made very little progress over the past 2 weeks since the media blackout started. If you would like, Ill search the internet again and put all of those "statements" here in this thread in black and white. It IS the SAME news they were reporting 2 weeks ago right before the blackout began, but thats because they are claiming that nothing has really changed in those 2 weeks, IOTW, the situation is still the same.

Schefter, Peter King, and Glauber have all released statements in one form or another citing league sources stating that the 2 sides have made very little progress over the past 2 weeks since the media blackout started. If you would like, Ill search the internet again and put all of those "statements" here in this thread in black and white. It IS the SAME news they were reporting 2 weeks ago right before the blackout began, but thats because they are claiming that nothing has really changed in those 2 weeks, IOTW, the situation is still the same.

They don't know if the situation is the same because neither side is talking. Reiterating the same crap we heard two weeks ago is not the same as reporting anything new.

Media blackout means not giving them any new updates positive or negative...

Peter King - MMQB

I don’t see Darrelle Revis signing with the Jets this week either, despite reports to the contrary by Dallas columnist Tim Cowlishaw Sunday. But Cowlishaw’s good. That’s why I mention it at all — despite a source telling me there’s nothing to it.

Glauber

There was a buzz late Sunday afternoon when Dallas Morning News columnist Tim Cowlishaw […] wrote on his Twitter account that the Jets and Revis will announce an agreement as early as Wednesday. But a league source told me late Sunday that the speculation was inaccurate. I’m led to believe there has been little progress in the Revis talks.

Which makes you wonder if Revis is beginning to overplay his hand. With three years left on his deal and the Jets offering as much as $122 million over 10 years – you read right, $122 million over 10 years – he is demanding $162 million over 10 years, according to NFL sources.

With that $40-million chasm showing no sign of closing soon, the Jets appear to be doing the next-best thing: signing their other key young players to deals that are more palatable.

Cant find Schefter's, probably because I dont have ESPNInsider, but I read something on these forums or saw something on ESPN when he said something to the effect of "I've done some investigating of my own, and it seems as if little progress, if any, has been made between Revis and the Jets the past few days, or even weeks."

Peter King - MMQB

Glauber

Cant find Schefter's, probably because I dont have ESPNInsider, but I read something on these forums or saw something on ESPN when he said something to the effect of "I've done some investigating of my own, and it seems as if little progress, if any, has been made between Revis and the Jets the past few days, or even weeks."

Again, no new info.

King's source is probably either the Jets or Revis' people giving him a "no comment" due the media blackout.

If King had anyone actually denying Cowlishaw he'd be sharing his source and shouting from the rooftops with a quote.

To me the Jets have locked up the 2 most important members of the core 4.

Agreed 100%. I have to be honest, this entire offseason my biggest concern more than any other was that Mangold wouldn't get locked up this year and would walk next year. As much as I wanted Brick locked up long term too, seeing him sign first when he still had two years left while reports were that there were absolutely no conversations between the Jets and Mangold's people was beyond frustrating. I'm ecstatic that this has been taken care of, and will only make it that much easier on the Jets when they're put in the unenviable situation next year of having to worry about UFAs of Harris, Holmes, Edwards and Cromartie. Not to mention Ellis and a few others who can't all be replaced in one offseason.

Archived