What were you guys expecting?

Jetsfan80

I'd really like to know how the Jets' performance in preseason has been altogether surprising. From what little we can take from these exhibition games, we're getting exactly what we should expect. We have a strong running game, an excellent starting defense, and a struggling young QB.

Let's all just calm down and make the assumption that this will NOT be the same team we see when the real games start. How many times have we watched preseason games, not just for the Jets but for other teams as well, seen one thing and gotten another?

When week 1 comes around, we'll get a solid running game. If Revis comes back, we'll be the # 1 defense again, and even if he doesn't, we'll be a top 5 defense. Sanchez will have good days and bad. He now has two athletic receivers in Braylon and Santonio (in week 5) who can make catches even when the throws aren't great.

And if losing Calvin Pace for a game or 2 is the worst injury we'll have suffered this preseason, I consider that a win as well. Jason Taylor/Westerman should do an adequate job replacing him. Taylor hasn't shown much in the preseason, but I don't think there's been a preseason where he DID do much of anything. Much like the Chargers used to shut LT down for a preseason, Taylor shuts HIMSELF down, like it or not, so he can play well in the regular season. We'll see if it works out for us.

Its tough to see the silver lining when the team plays as bad as it did, but before we hit the panic switch, let's wait until the team plays badly in the regular season before vilifying everybody. We won't be running the same plays in the regular season as we did last night, and we'll get better, forgetting the preseason ever even happened.

Exactly- the same people predicting a Super Bowl are now saying we will be lucky to go 8 and 8.

I want this team ready Sept 13 not August 28th. Lets see what we have on the 13th.

FTR I've never said we're going to win the SB-what was I expecting? Some scoring by our 1st team offense and our veteran O-linemen to be able to pass block.

I'd really like to know how the Jets' performance in preseason has been altogether surprising. From what little we can take from these exhibition games, we're getting exactly what we should expect. We have a strong running game, an excellent starting defense, and a struggling young QB.

Let's all just calm down and make the assumption that this will NOT be the same team we see when the real games start. How many times have we watched preseason games, not just for the Jets but for other teams as well, seen one thing and gotten another?

When week 1 comes around, we'll get a solid running game. If Revis comes back, we'll be the # 1 defense again, and even if he doesn't, we'll be a top 5 defense. Sanchez will have good days and bad. He now has two athletic receivers in Braylon and Santonio (in week 5) who can make catches even when the throws aren't great.

And if losing Calvin Pace for a game or 2 is the worst injury we'll have suffered this preseason, I consider that a win as well. Jason Taylor/Westerman should do an adequate job replacing him. Taylor hasn't shown much in the preseason, but I don't think there's been a preseason where he DID do much of anything. Much like the Chargers used to shut LT down for a preseason, Taylor shuts HIMSELF down, like it or not, so he can play well in the regular season. We'll see if it works out for us.

Its tough to see the silver lining when the team plays as bad as it did, but before we hit the panic switch, let's wait until the team plays badly in the regular season before vilifying everybody. We won't be running the same plays in the regular season as we did last night, and we'll get better, forgetting the preseason ever even happened.

Let's put the fan base aside for this since most bought into the hype of a SB. Do you think Rex and the rest of the coaching staff is pleased with the performance of this team or do you think Rex used some more expletives behind closed doors?

Let's put the fan base aside for this since most bought into the hype of a SB. Do you think Rex and the rest of the coaching staff is pleased with the performance of this team or do you think Rex used some more expletives behind closed doors?

Oh there's no way Rex and co. are happy with this. But at least we're getting these mistakes out there in the preseason. If you play perfectly in the exhibition games, what's going to inspire you to make adjustments?

the defense has been exactly what I expected, dominant vs the run, spotty vs the pass (feast or famine)

special teams are a big positive suprise, I was very worried about this unit. westhoff is the man

offense has been a disappointment, I was expecting the run game to be more consistent, and the o-line has been just as disappointing as sanchez. you see edwards open on deep balls again and again and wonder if he played with a legit QB if he might catch 15 TD's this year

so all in all it's 1 negative, 1 positive, and 1 neutral

maybe that's why I haven't jumped off the bridge

the defense has been exactly what I expected, dominant vs the run, spotty vs the pass (feast or famine)

special teams are a big positive suprise, I was very worried about this unit. westhoff is the man

offense has been a disappointment, I was expecting the run game to be more consistent, and the o-line has been just as disappointing as sanchez. you see edwards open on deep balls again and again and wonder if he played with a legit QB if he might catch 15 TD's this year

so all in all it's 1 negative, 1 positive, and 1 neutral

maybe that's why I haven't jumped off the bridge

LT needs to start he is faster than Thomas was and can catch-Green should be used sparingly at first-12-15 a game-LT the same

LT needs to start he is faster than Thomas was and can catch-Green should be used sparingly at first-12-15 a game-LT the same

I agree, it wouldn't surprise me at all if he gets the official start, or comes off the bench and gets more touches anyway

he will get carries, wildcat snaps, and screens and draws and the inevitable shotty chicanery plays of trickeration

I think he is capable of putting up over 1,200 combined yards if you count his rushes and rec's

doesn't he have a decent arm as well ?

oh yeah, he does !!!

he has 7 passing TD's on his resume, you know shotty is gonna try to add to that

Oh there's no way Rex and co. are happy with this. But at least we're getting these mistakes out there in the preseason. If you play perfectly in the exhibition games, what's going to inspire you to make adjustments?

80, that's my point though. Who the hell expected perfection? I think what most fans wanted to see was an offense that executed these "vanilla" type plays they've put in...it looks like a bunch of neighborhood guys (okay, that's an exaggeration) decided to toss the ball around.

I really didn't expect a drop off with the absence of Revis and there really hasn't been...the third game of the preseason we wanted just a taste....not perfection.

I'm pleased with both Greene and LT. Greene is just a load to bring down and by the second half he's going to wear out a defense with his running style. Something that isn't really getting showcased in preseason for obvious reasons. LT's ability is speaking for itself.

As crazy as it sounds I want LT's carries to be managed carefully. He has a history of wearing down at the end of seasons and is infamously nicked up at the end of the season. Obviously you need to win games to make the playoffs so this all goes to hell if we start off slow, but i'd like LT to still be productive at the end of the season. Even though he looks good now and has a great work ethic, he's not going to stay that way if we burn him out. He's demonstrated that even in his prime he wears down.

I'm pleased with both Greene and LT. Greene is just a load to bring down and by the second half he's going to wear out a defense with his running style. Something that isn't really getting showcased in preseason for obvious reasons. LT's ability is speaking for itself.

As crazy as it sounds I want LT's carries to be managed carefully. He has a history of wearing down at the end of seasons and is infamously nicked up at the end of the season. Obviously you need to win games to make the playoffs so this all goes to hell if we start off slow, but i'd like LT to still be productive at the end of the season. Even though he looks good now and has a great work ethic, he's not going to stay that way if we burn him out. He's demonstrated that even in his prime he wears down.

Totally agree. Ideally, we can find a formula that spares them both for the long haul.

Rex is a machinist. We still have Conner, McNight, and Washington at our disposal.

I never bought into the Super Bowl hype. Sanchez is in his second year and has some growing to do, and no other unit on this team -despite #1 rankings on defense or in the running game- was dominant enough to make up for sketchy QB play all the way to Lombardi Blvd.

But I did expect more consistent play from the OL. The line should be able to absorb a replacement of it's weakest link without so much turmoil. I also expect decent accuracy from the QB. Instead, all short passes are behind the receivers, and the long ones are overthrown. With a full year working with Braylon, the Jets West hype, Rex calling Sanchez his most improved player - I expected more from the offense as a whole. Since the jint game, the starters have played poorly against other starters. I could give a crap about final scores in preseason games, but the way the OL and QB have looked this preseason are a legitimate concern.

As I said in another thread, I'd script 10-15 plays for the offense this week and pull them off the field after a TD or that script is done - whichever comes first. But they need to see a little more action, and hopefully get a little confidence boost before the start of the regular season.

I never bought into the Super Bowl hype. Sanchez is in his second year and has some growing to do, and no other unit on this team -despite #1 rankings on defense or in the running game- was dominant enough to make up for sketchy QB play all the way to Lombardi Blvd.

But I did expect more consistent play from the OL. The line should be able to absorb a replacement of it's weakest link without so much turmoil. I also expect decent accuracy from the QB. Instead, all short passes are behind the receivers, and the long ones are overthrown. With a full year working with Braylon, the Jets West hype, Rex calling Sanchez his most improved player - I expected more from the offense as a whole. Since the jint game, the starters have played poorly against other starters. I could give a crap about final scores in preseason games, but the way the OL and QB have looked this preseason are a legitimate concern.

As I said in another thread, I'd script 10-15 plays for the offense this week and pull them off the field after a TD or that script is done - whichever comes first. But they need to see a little more action, and hopefully get a little confidence boost before the start of the regular season.

OL play and QB play are bigger concerns to me than our defense. Revis is a game changer but our defense is still a positive for us. I mean I hope it's just an early adjustment period but our pass protection has regressed from last season and it's not just the LG spot. Woody is having some problems.

OL play and QB play are bigger concerns to me than our defense. Revis is a game changer but our defense is still a positive for us. I mean I hope it's just an early adjustment period but our pass protection has regressed from last season and it's not just the LG spot. Woody is having some problems.

I agree 100%.

Thing is, out of the gate against the Ravens and our division rivals, the Jets need some wins. If the offense is barely up to JV standards, the defense has to absolutely dominate. Defense has looked good, but not dominant. Didn't like the way Moss and Galloway (seriously?) were getting open against our CB's. Jets need all the help they can get, wherever they can get it. They can't afford to go <.500 the first month of the season.

Archived