Cimini: Winners, Losers in the Preseason

flgreen

Winners, losers in the preseason

September, 3, 2010 Sep 32:14PM ETEmail Print Comments By Rich CiminiOne last look back at the preseason that was:

THREE PLAYERS WHO HELPED THEMSELVES

• FB John Conner. The rookie didn't have a great game in Philadelphia (one lost fumble, one drop), but he impressed so much in the preseason that the coaches actually started to discuss the possibility of releasing incumbent Tony Richardson. Because of his special-teams ability, he will be dress for the season opener.

• DE/OLB Vernon Gholston. It took only three training camps, but the former No. 1 pick finally started to show some promise. He went from a marginal player to an important backup.

• PK Nick Folk. The ability is there (he once made a Pro Bowl with the Dallas Cowboys), but there were questions about his head and his mechanics after hip surgery. Folk responded with a strong preseason, eliminating a potential headache.

THREE PLAYERS WHO HURT THEMSELVES

• RB Joe McKnight. Not only did he lose three fumbles in four games, but he did nothing to erase his reputation from college: Not a physical runner, lacks mental toughness. Rex Ryan said he has no confidence in the fourth-round pick. He'll make the team, but it could be some time before he emerges from the Ryan witness-protection program.

• WR David Clowney. He, too, probably will make the 53-man roster, but he didn't develop as hoped as a receiver. He can contribute on special teams as a gunner, but he didn't make himself into an indespensable special teamer. He could be in trouble when Santonio Holmes returns from his four-game suspension.

• LG Matt Slauson/Vladimir Ducasse. We'll put them together because neither player jumped out in the left-guard competition. Slauson is a good run blocker, but struggles in pass protection. Ducasse, a second-round pick, has a big upside, but he makes too many mental mistakes. Alan Faneca, anyone?

pettine is a big winner, I think he'll get HC interviews in 2-3 years

I agree. I was thinking about this the other day watching him on Hard Knocks. The guy just comes across like a pro. I bet he gets a HC job before Schotty.

Archived