The Yankees Offseason Thread

Maxman

Now that the season is over, what moves do you think the Yankees make? I hope Girardi wants to come back. He is young and will get better. One WS championship in 3 years is pretty good. He needs to manage more like he played. When he played he was fearless.

What changes do you expect? Who is coming and who is going?

I'm calling no Cliff Lee for the Yankees unless Pettite retires in this thread.

Lucky for them they have a major trading chip (Montero) that they can build a package for a young pitcher around, if there's one around.

I know this might sound controversial/crazy, but I say give Joba another shot to start.

Bring in Carl Crawford. The Yankees need him (a #2 hitter and + outfielder) more than they need a starting pitcher IMO. The Rangers simply outclassed them in OF talent...athleticism...power...baserunning...with Cruz and Hamilton. I'm still amazed the Cubs had Hamilton for a couple hours and gave him away for peanuts...

The pitching should get better just on the fact that CC is still in his prime, Hughes should be better, and there's almost 0 shot that Burnett is that bad again. If Pettite comes back that's a pretty strong 4 still, and then either trade for an arm, pick up a 5 in FA, or let Joba get some innings.

Lucky for them they have a major trading chip (Montero) that they can build a package for a young pitcher around, if there's one around.

I know this might sound controversial/crazy, but I say give Joba another shot to start.

Zack Greinke is available and I'd rather trade for him.

Zack Greinke is available and I'd rather trade for him.

I'm down. He doesn't strike me as a NY type and he's had some psychological problems before, but he seems to have bounced back from those problems well. I remember a few years ago he said he didn't like the big city too much.

If the Royals bit on a package of prospects built around Montero then that would be great. Greinke's legit, and he could be Moose with a slider (instead of knuckle curve) and a better fastball.

The cool thing about the Yankees is that they set themselves up to be able to trade a Montero...the lineup isn't dying for a RH power hitter...Romine is a way better catcher and personally I think he'll be a good hitter capable of a .280/.350/.420 line and 10-15 HRs...and then this guy Gaby or Gary Sanchez they just signed supposedly has Montero's bat potential with legit catching skills.

I think all 3 of the AL East monsters are going to try to pull a big trade...

I'm down. He doesn't strike me as a NY type and he's had some psychological problems before, but he seems to have bounced back from those problems well.

I remember a few years ago he said he didn't like the big city too much.

If the Royals bit on a package of prospects built around Montero then that would be great. Greinke's legit, and he could be Moose with a slider (instead of knuckle curve) and a better fastball.

Greinke had an incredibly good year if you look at it on a game by game basis. He was 1-4 with an era in the 2.60 range after 9 starts. I think he lost it at that point because if I remember correctly he gave up 1 run in his last 2 starts of that 9 game stretch COMBINED and was rewarded with a loss and a no decision. He had about 5 or 6 games this year where he mentally checked out and I think that pitching like a true ace and not being able to buy a win will do that to you.

He could win 20+ games a year with a decent offense. The rest of his measurable are as good as you would want to see in an ace (who would be our number 2).

His only true big market starts were at the Red Sox and at the Angels last year. He gave up 2 runs in 14 innings. He can pitch in front of crowds... Can he handle the media scrutiny? My money is on a definitive yes.

Does he want to or more importantly can he be persuaded to? Let's hope so.

His only true big market starts were at the Red Sox and at the Angels last year. He gave up 2 runs in 14 innings. He can pitch in front of crowds... Can he handle the media scrutiny? My money is on a definitive yes.

Does he want to or more importantly can he be persuaded to? Let's hope so.

It's not his ability to perform...Like you said it's just him wanting to and there's been at least one incident where he just straight up said he didn't like big cities...the fact that he almost quit baseball at one point is also something that will have to be looked into.

Greinke's def. the only other shot I can think of at getting an pre-prime or in his prime ace after Lee. I really want the Cubs to go after him too. They can afford to lock him up and there's alot of talent coming through to build around him.

Here's a novel idea-build from within.

Like Gardner, Cano, Jeter, Jorge, Cervelli, Hughes, Joba, Mo, Pettitte etc. The yankees did a great job of building from within back in the mid 90s, than went through a stage of trading away pieces for kevin brown and the like, but as of the last 5 years they've done a great job of building through the draft and either bringing the players up or trading them for key players.

There's only so much you can do when consistently drafting at the bottom of each round. They brought up Soriano who was traded for Arod, they brought up Austin Jackson, Phil Coke and Ian Kennedy for Curtis Granderson, they got Nick Swisher for Wilson Betemit and Jeff Marquez and Nunez etc.

There's more to building from within than just having every position player from your farm system, almost no team has that. You can bring up players so you can trade them for someone who better fits your teams' needs and you can sprinkle in some key FAs. Besides AJ, CC and Tex, the yankees haven't landed the huge name free agent like everyone thinks. (Not counting Arods opting out as a FA).

Like Gardner, Cano, Jeter, Jorge, Cervelli, Hughes, Joba, Mo, Pettitte etc. The yankees did a great job of building from within back in the mid 90s, than went through a stage of trading away pieces for kevin brown and the like, but as of the last 5 years they've done a great job of building through the draft and either bringing the players up or trading them for key players.

There's only so much you can do when consistently drafting at the bottom of each round. They brought up Soriano who was traded for Arod, they brought up Austin Jackson, Phil Coke and Ian Kennedy for Curtis Granderson, they got Nick Swisher for Wilson Betemit and Jeff Marquez and Nunez etc.

There's more to building from within than just having every position player from your farm system, almost no team has that. You can bring up players so you can trade them for someone who better fits your teams' needs and you can sprinkle in some key FAs. Besides AJ, CC and Tex, the yankees haven't landed the huge name free agent like everyone thinks. (Not counting Arods opting out as a FA).

+1

I think they land Crawford in FA and then really work the trade market this year, which requires a strong farm system. The Yankees have a pretty decent farm system...I'd say it's in the top half of the league.

This presently constructed Yankee team is is so damn susceptible to lefty pitching.....The Rangers had the Yankees number....leftie starters with alot of lefties in the pen, especially the long relievers

I am more worried about the offense than the pitching.....I am not one that wants lee too much, even though this is probably where he'll end up

I like Swish, but he has had 2 years in the playoffs, and 2 years he has sucked

I really like Berkman as our DH, but doubt that he'll be back

Jorge needs to be moved to our DH, and we need to get a full time catcher

If we could get Worth, and trade off Swish, I'd be estatic

This presently constructed Yankee team is is so damn susceptible to lefty pitching.....The Rangers had the Yankees number....leftie starters with alot of lefties in the pen, especially the long relievers

It's funny because the Giants did the same thing to the Phillies.

Pitchers the Giants have used in Game 6:

Sanchez (LHP)

Affeldt (LHP)

Bumgarner (LHP)

Lopez (LHP)

My offseason plan for the Yankees with a Greinke trade:

Sign Werth for 3 years 30 million.

Trade Swisher, David Robertson, and Montero + other good prospects in a deal for Greinke. Swisher and Robertson are cheap and productive, Montero is the centerpiece, and throw in guys like David Adams (if healthy), Slade Heathcott, Manny Banuelos, maybe Brackman, Bestances...some combo of upside guys (2 of them I'd guess) and then a couple C grade arms.

Get Andy Pettite to not retire by making those moves as soon as possible. Same for Rivera.

Run with a CC/Greinke/Pettite/Burnett/Hughes rotation for next year.

Sign Scott Downs for 3 years 15 million and Grant Balfour for 2 years 11 million or something dumb.

Either pick up Woods' option cause they feel baller, or do the smart thing and try to resign him for maybe 8-9 million in a one year deal.

New bullpen (7 arms):

Aceves

Joba

Balfour

Downs

Wood

Rivera

Best pitching in the league, an upgrade in RF, a new year for the young guys plus guys like Granderson, CC, and Tex, more Robby Cano, and the return of ARod this team will be the best in the history of the world ever.

I agree. I think Andy will be back. It was a groin injury that sidelined him and he was pitching great. So he knows he can still perform at a high level.

I am on board with that 100%. I know he wasn't great this year but I am all for giving him another shot to be a starter.

Here's a novel idea-build from within.

I am all for that. Right now I think the Yankees have Gardner, Jeter, Posada and Cano as every day starters that came up through the minors. I think that should be a long term strategy. Like they should have a meeting tomorrow and figure out how to draft more guys like Mariano Rivera that are the best ever. That would be cool. But with Hughes, Andy, Mo, Robertson and some others I think the Yankees have some pretty good homegrown talent.

I am more worried about the offense than the pitching.....I am not one that wants lee too much, even though this is probably where he'll end up

I like Swish, but he has had 2 years in the playoffs, and 2 years he has sucked

I really like Berkman as our DH, but doubt that he'll be back

Jorge needs to be moved to our DH, and we need to get a full time catcher

If we could get Worth, and trade off Swish, I'd be estatic

I don't think Swish goes anywhere. Agreed on Posada. I wonder what his offensive numbers would look like if he was the backup catcher? He could still be a decent RH bat I believe. Full time DH could be in his future. There is a reason they were okay letting Damon and Matsui walk even though neither was getting a really big deal.

The problem with some of the Yankees switch hitters is that they suck from the right side. That is definitely an issue

2 things made me crazed the last month and a half. One which is new, one which has been an issue forever.

As to the Yanks' batting approach; being patient in the regular season makes sense. A team is bound to face a mess of bad pitchers who refuse to throw strikes and nibble or are just awful. And that kind of approach in the regular season is a recipe for success. But not in October. In the playoffs better teams have better pitchers. There are no number 5 pitchers, and may be no #4s either. Instead you see guys who throw strikes. So instead of batting ahead in the count, we saw Yankees facing -0-2 and 1-2 counts and nothingness. It was especially true of Rodriguez, Gardner and Swisher. And in this has been an issue for a long time, Seems like the Yankees don't make an adjustment to this forever.

And as to pitching, it seems like every Yankee starter gets the count to 1-2 or 0-2, and then decides to nibble. Why is that? The Rangers seem to get a mess of hits with 2 strikes on'em. Burnett is especailly awful with that, but it was also true of Hughes and the dregs of the pen.

Don't know if you blame the manager, or the pitching or batting coaches. But clearly adjustments to quality pitching you invariably see in the postseason were not made again.

As to the Yanks' batting approach; being patient in the regular season makes sense. A team is bound to face a mess of bad pitchers who refuse to throw strikes and nibble or are just awful. And that kind of approach in the regular season is a recipe for success. But not in October. In the playoffs better teams have better pitchers. There are no number 5 pitchers, and may be no #4s either. Instead you see guys who throw strikes. So instead of batting ahead in the count, we saw Yankees facing -0-2 and 1-2 counts and nothingness. It was especially true of Rodriguez, Gardner and Swisher. And in this has been an issue for a long time, Seems like the Yankees don't make an adjustment to this forever.

Patience at the plate is not a flaw...The Yankees have employed the strategy for decades and it's a reason they tend to be able to score runs. Being patient certainly didn't hurt the 2009 team or the '96-'00 teams...It's something to knock when they lose but patience at the plate is a key to hitting.

The team had a bad series and got outplayed...It happens. Consider it this team's 1997.

Guest Oxoboxo

Buy every free agent out there, and throw prospects at any team who has a decent player in the last year of a contract.

If they don't pan out, cut them and buy someone else.

Enough of these other teams winning the World Series. We deserve EVERY World Series, and if the current clowns at GM and Manager can't deliver it - get rid of their useless asses.

Get Cliff Lee, get Mauer, Get Halladay, Get Oswald, Get Lincecum, Get Hamilton, Get Crawford.

There is no reason the Yankees should ever lose any series, EVER!

The Jeter contract negotiations will be the most interesting since "Yankees vs themselves for Sabathia".

Will they pay market price, or reward for services in the past? Can they go less than 3 years, after they have locked up A-Rod until he is 42?

Very interesting to watch.

That is a very interesting one. They can't let him walk. But don't want to overpay. He will be back, retiring a Yankee is a pretty big key for retirement revenue for him as well.

Guest Oxoboxo

That is a very interesting one. They can't let him walk. But don't want to overpay. He will be back, retiring a Yankee is a pretty big key for retirement revenue for him as well.

Let him walk.

He's done. Not worth another contract, at any price.

Let the Mets overpay for him.

Archived