Safety turns down the Jets to remain a train conductor

Kentucky Jet

CFT Gear

Safety turns down Jets to remain a train conductor

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on December 7, 2010, 4:30 PM EST

The Jets called safety Keith Fitzhugh on Tuesday, wondering if he’d like a job. The Mississippi State graduate respectfully turned them down.

“I told them I’m very thankful for the opportunity,” Fitzhugh told Jenny Vrentas of the Newark Star-Ledger. “But right now, being that it would be for just a couple weeks, I feel that I’d rather stay with a secure company and job, somewhere I know I could have long-term employment.”

Fitzhugh, 24, has worked as a conductor for Norfolk Southern railroad since getting released by the Jets on September 4. He enjoys the job and more importantly is responsible for supporting his parents. His father is disabled and can’t work, so Fitzhugh made what must have been a tough decision to deny the Jets.

“Being unemployed is not a good feeling,” Fitzhugh said. “It’s a lonely feeling. I’d rather be somewhere safe and have a great foundation.”

The Jets plan to release receiver Laveranues Coles (again) to make room for a safety after reserve James Ihedigbo suffered a high ankle sprain. Fitzhugh won’t be the guy because he has more important things to worry about than the Jets’ playoff push.

Jenny Vrentas of the Newark Star Ledger reports former Jets practice squad player Keith Fitzhugh turned the team down when he was asked to sign and fill the Jets need at defensive back .

"I told them I'm very thankful for the opportunity," Fitzhugh said. "But right now, being that it would be for just a couple weeks, I feel that I'd rather stay with a secure company and job, somewhere I know I could have long-term employment."

Fitzhugh is a conductor for the Norfolk Southern railroad, a job he has held since he was released by the Jets on Sept. 4. He said several times he is thankful for his job and enjoys it.

"Being unemployed is not a good feeling," Fitzhugh said. "It's a lonely feeling. I'd rather be somewhere safe and have a great foundation

Come on? People are ripping on this guy?

This guy made a very smart, long-term decision. He took all the factors into account and realized that in the long term, he would not be playing professional football for years to come and would be getting bounced back and forth between waivers or the practice squad.

Kudos to this guy for making an informed, and intelligent decision. He's already done more than 99% of football players in this country have ever or will ever do, no one can take that away from him.

according to rod boone

Re Keith Fitzhugh turning down #Jets yesterday: They wanted him to be on the practice squad, not the active roster. That's a 14K difference

Practice squad players make approximately 5K per week. If he was on the actual roster, it's $19K. Makes sense now why he'd turn it down.

To clarify: Fitzhugh was asked by Jets to fly to NY, pack enough for 4 weeks. He was under impression he may be put on 53-man

• 2 weeks later...

Archived