So, who's not watching the Jets anymore based on Rex's sexual appetite?

ZachEY

I keep reading on this board about the image of the team, and how the Jets need to sell more seats, and how Rex is damaging both of those.

Since we all know it's about sales and dollars and cents, I'd like to know who on this board, or who on this board has friends, that based on hearing this news no longer will watch the Jets?

Or, are we all worried about the fictional other who will quit watching the Jets based on Rex and Michelle's sexuality?

Specific examples please...

The diehard fan will always watch, come Hell or High Water. These are not the fans that make or break the league, however. The fan that the NFL wants and needs (because their advertisers want and need them) is the casual/corporate fan who watches three games per year when he doesn't have a polo match in Bridgehampton. If the NFL loses these fans, they're Major League Baseball.

The diehard fan will always watch, come Hell or High Water. These are not the fans that make or break the league, however. The fan that the NFL wants and needs (because their advertisers want and need them) is the casual/corporate fan who watches three games per year when he doesn't have a polo match in Bridgehampton. If the NFL loses these fans, they're Major League Baseball.

Ah, but the 'average NFL fan' is spared many of the gritty details of this story, no?

And again, you've referenced a group and ascribed what you think they may do to them. Do you know anyone who's said 'I'm no longer going to watch' based on this story?

Ah, but the 'average NFL fan' is spared many of the gritty details of this story, no?

Footgate is on the front page of the papers, not the back page, so there's a transcendant value to it. It's TMZ-style stuff that will have people who don't know what a football looks like talking about Rex Ryan, HC of the NYJ, so it's already an issue as far as the "average" fan. Now, will they ever actually see the coochie shots? Maybe not, but they'll know that the Rex-as-deviant story carried on for a month.

And again, you've referenced a group and ascribed what you think they may do to them. Do you know anyone who's said 'I'm no longer going to watch' based on this story?

Personally, no. Also, I hate you smart kids and your big words and your fancy college educations.

The Jets were very concerned about the gate D spirals. (which I thought wasn't a big deal at all) a lot of complaints from fathers with their kids watching topless woman flash to the crazed fans at half time. Why did the Jets get rid of that? I would assume they were butt hurt over their image, no?

I could care less what Rex does with his wife. and I dont think he should lose his job over this. but he should continuously be humiliated by it. it should be humbling to him.

Footgate is on the front page of the papers, not the back page, so there's a transcendant value to it. It's TMZ-style stuff that will have people who don't know what a football looks like talking about Rex Ryan, HC of the NYJ, so it's already an issue as far as the "average" fan. Now, will they ever actually see the coochie shots? Maybe not, but they'll know that the Rex-as-deviant story carried on for a month.

Where did the 'average NFL fan' go after Big Ben's rape-fest?

Where did the 'average NFL fan' go after Rey Lewis killed a guy?

Where did the 'average NFL fan' go after Pacman made it rain?

Where did the 'average NFL fan' go after Haynesworth stomped on a guys head?

Where did the 'average NFL fan' go when Belichick was cheating on his wife?

The average NFL fan likes to drink beer, eat wings, and for the most part, watch big dumb animals run into each other.

If they didn't disappear after those, things, why now?

Personally, no. Also, I hate you smart kids and your big words and your fancy college educations.

Apologies.

The Jets were very concerned about the gate D spirals. (which I thought wasn't a big deal at all) a lot of complaints from fathers with their kids watching topless woman flash to the crazed fans at half time. Why did the Jets get rid of that? I would assume they were butt hurt over their image, no?

The gate D spirals are gone because the Jets don't want a mega-sexual harassment lawsuit from some girl having her shirt pulled up in front of a group of drunken men.

Follow the money.

I could care less what Rex does with his wife. and I dont think he should lose his job over this. but he should continuously be humiliated by it. it should be humbling to him.

I agree 100%

No I would not stop watching, I just wish I did not have to hear about what Rex does with is wife.

I wish the Jets would win a Super Bowl.

Unfortunately, much as I would love to ride my magical unicorn in Utopia with you, in the real world, this is what we've got. Take it or leave it. We both seem to be ok with taking it.

The average NFL fan likes to drink beer, eat wings, and for the most part, watch big dumb animals run into each other.

Two things, whippersnapper:

1. I referred to the casual/corporate fan, whom I would describe as being in a higher-income demographic--the guy that advertisers will want to stick around to sell Buicks to and who buy those $20k PSL's and rents luxury boxes. When I think of the "average" fan, I think of Joe Sixpack (<3 Palin), who watches his team on Sundays, but would cut his hand off at the wrist before he ever posted on a site like this. So, yes, I agree that it doesn't jeopardize the league's image with the average fan who doesn't care about the league's image in the first place. But, if Mr. Casual/Corporate can't wear his Jets polo or visor out to the yacht club without getting mocked, then it's an issue.

2. This is a head coach. Let's face it, the NFL player is a mongrel beast anyway, so he can go home and rape kittens all night and it doesn't matter as long as he can play. Coaches should held to a higher standard because they're middle management...shouldn't they? ESPECIALLY in Rex's case. The Jets actively sell you Rex Ryan. Now it turns out that he's a creepy sexual deviant advertising visits to see his wife's meat curtains? IMO, it's a tough one to get around.

But, like I said, he probably won't be fired, but it opens up a Pandora's box for him. No pun intended.

The second this news broke I burned everything I own Jets related and vowed to never watch the Jets again.

I'm only posting to find out if the pics are fakes so I can start collecting and watching again.

Its actually has me thinking of how we can capitalize...I mean think of the new collectibles we can sell:

Jet feet pajamas with Michelle's feet.

Jet themed toe nail polish.

Jet colored stilletos.

The possibilities are endless...

Here is where Rex might be in trouble. If David Barger decides that Rex Ryan is not the type of image he wants associated with his airline, then Woody might decide he would rather have the sponsorship money than the coach.

It could happen. But in my opinion, by the playoffs, this story will fizzle. And, JetBlue making a power-play like this would draw more negative attention to the Airline than anyone watching who makes the connection between the JetBlue > Jets > Rex > Foot Fetish.

Kobe and Tiger both still have major sponsorships, and this year were 2 of the top 3 highest earning athletes in the world, I just don't see the Jets losing theirs based on a lesser incident that broke no laws and was only in truth, a lapse in judgment.

Apologies.

The bigger issue is the NFL itself and it's owners. This is and has always been a "good ole boys club".

Rex's behaviour is already likely frowned upon acroos the league. If this stuff is true, the pressure on Woody to make it go away will be tremendous. Players, Assistants, etc are different but this is still your grandfather's NFL when it comes to owners and who shoud be leading their product...ie head coaches.

Any concrete evidence that Rex has went too far in respect to what the good ole boys consider bad character and he will be gone or at the very least suspended.

Two things, whippersnapper:

Hurtful. Fire T0mShane!

1. I referred to the casual/corporate fan, whom I would describe as being in a higher-income demographic--the guy that advertisers will want to stick around to sell Buicks to and who buy those $20k PSL's and rents luxury boxes. When I think of the "average" fan, I think of Joe Sixpack (<3 Palin), who watches his team on Sundays, but would cut his hand off at the wrist before he ever posted on a site like this. So, yes, I agree that it doesn't jeopardize the league's image with the average fan who doesn't care about the league's image in the first place. But, if Mr. Casual/Corporate can't wear his Jets polo or visor out to the yacht club without getting mocked, then it's an issue.

A Jets polo at the yacht club. So uncouth.

2. This is a head coach. Let's face it, the NFL player is a mongrel beast anyway, so he can go home and rape kittens all night and it doesn't matter as long as he can play. Coaches should held to a higher standard because they're middle management...shouldn't they? ESPECIALLY in Rex's case. The Jets actively sell you Rex Ryan. Now it turns out that he's a creepy sexual deviant advertising visits to see his wife's meat curtains? IMO, it's a tough one to get around.

But, like I said, he probably won't be fired, but it opens up a Pandora's box for him. No pun intended.

He should be held to a higher standard. And posting this stuff online shows an err in judgment. But technically, he's done absolutely nothing wrong. So, what are you punishing him for? It's not illegal to want someone to fill your wife like a bowling ball. Rex should offer no apologies as far as I'm concerned for having a wife who's middle age and still actively interested in expressing her sexuality, nor should he apologize for loving her.

The bigger issue is the NFL itself and it's owners. This is and has always been a "good ole boys club".

Rex's behaviour is already likely frowned upon acroos the league. If this stuff is true, the pressure on Woody to make it go away will be tremendous. Players, Assistants, etc are different but this is still your grandfather's NFL when it comes to owners and who shoud be leading their product...ie head coaches.

Any concrete evidence that Rex has went too far in respect to what the good ole boys consider bad character and he will be gone or at the very least suspended.

You think the old boys club wants to face a wrongful termination suit for firing a guy with a winning record for doing nothing illegal?

You're also speaking for a group of men you're not a part of. How do you know what the owners are saying? Hell, half of them are probably jealous and the other half are probably pulling their wives socks off and 'giving it a shot' as we speak.

Rex hasn't broken any laws doing what he did. Woody can get pressured to do it, but that doesn't mean Woody is necessarily going to do it. If you're judging purely based on on the field achievement why the crap would you do it. Takes us to the AFCCG in year one and gets us into the playoffs the next year. Something the franchise hasn't done in a while.

I don't pretend to know what's going on behind the scenes, but I really think it would be a really dumb idea to fire Rex over something like this.

Rex hasn't broken any laws doing what he did. Woody can get pressured to do it, but that doesn't mean Woody is necessarily going to do it. If you're judging purely based on on the field achievement why the crap would you do it. Takes us to the AFCCG in year one and gets us into the playoffs the next year. Something the franchise hasn't done in a while.

I don't pretend to know what's going on behind the scenes, but I really think it would be a really dumb idea to fire Rex over something like this.

Oh I agree it would be a dumb idea to fire him but that is my opinion and not the people who count. Like I said , if true, the pressure to boot him will be there and the reason can be as simple as Rex's off the field actions do not project the image the team and league wants.

Its actually has me thinking of how we can capitalize...I mean think of the new collectibles we can sell:

Jet feet pajamas with Michelle's feet.

Jet themed toe nail polish.

Jet colored stilletos.

The possibilities are endless...

Good point. All this arguing about what demographic this might turn off, its really opened the door for a new deomgraphic. All the sexual deviants of the world are going to be die hard NY Jets stuff. I'm going to PM you my contact info, I think we got something here. ;)

It could happen. But in my opinion, by the playoffs, this story will fizzle. And, JetBlue making a power-play like this would draw more negative attention to the Airline than anyone watching who makes the connection between the JetBlue > Jets > Rex > Foot Fetish.

Kobe and Tiger both still have major sponsorships, and this year were 2 of the top 3 highest earning athletes in the world, I just don't see the Jets losing theirs based on a lesser incident that broke no laws and was only in truth, a lapse in judgment.

Honestly though, I dont really read papers anymore...I get my news online, tv, word of mouth. I hear and see very little about this story. I havent had anyone giving me a hard time about it. I know its on the front of papers, but its not like its catching fire. Its not like every where you turn people are talking about it.

Family gatherings for me consists of listening to my father bitch about his sports team (wonder where I get it from) and he didnt even bring this up over the Holidays. My folks always have their neighborhood friends over who are Giants, Pats, Dolphags fans...you name it...and they always give us sh*t about the Jets. None of them said a word. Now tripgate on the other hand.

I think the message boards are making it more than it is.

Hurtful. Fire T0mShane!

I'm unfireable.

A Jets polo at the yacht club. So uncouth.

Also, gauche.

He should be held to a higher standard. And posting this stuff online shows an err in judgment. But technically, he's done absolutely nothing wrong. So, what are you punishing him for? It's not illegal to want someone to fill your wife like a bowling ball. Rex should offer no apologies as far as I'm concerned for having a wife who's middle age and still actively interested in expressing her sexuality, nor should he apologize for loving her.

In the last month, I've performed sex acts on women that, in the context of a bedroom, or a Home Depot toilet stall, are fine. But if I took that toilet-cam video and posted it online, I'd probably be in for some public censure. I wouldn't lose my job, though, because I work with known felons and deviants (it's gross). I'm not calling for Rex's job AT ALL. I'm just pointing out what I think the plausible explanations for it, should be be fired, would be. The NFL has it's own justice system, and its sole basis for doing anything is to make money for the NFL, regardless of morality or any sense of jurisprudence. I think we agree that if Rex costs the league or the Jets a nickel, he's handed them a nifty set of reasons to make an example out of him.

The gate D spirals are gone because the Jets don't want a mega-sexual harassment lawsuit from some girl having her shirt pulled up in front of a group of drunken men.

i agree but also think that the pot smoking and general mob/drunken group mentality that occurred up there had a lot to do with it also

i agree but also think that the pot smoking and general mob/drunken group mentality that occurred up there had a lot to do with it also

Perhaps so. But those things you mentioned are criminal acts or tend to increase the likelihood of criminal acts.

Which still falls in line w/ my point that it's not about 'image' but about larger issues.

Great advice. I can't WAIT to make you my therapist.

Seriously. I have good insurance. Copious issues. You'll be able to wear a Jets polo to the yacht club.

Starting September next year, you can get me for about $11 a session at my school's clinic.

Buy now and you can lock in that price when it goes up to $225.

Archived