Wade Phillips hired as Texans Def. Coord.

Integrity28

Texans hired Wade Phillips as defensive coordinator.

Phillips had a tough go of it as the Cowboys' 2010 head coach, but there's no question that he was the finest defensive coordinator prospect on the open market. In his last stint as defensive boss (San Diego, 2004-2006), the Chargers leaped from 29th to fifth to first in the league in sacks, and a pass rush is what Houston so desperately needs to take pressure off its young secondary. Phillips will also be charged with making the Texans' defense more physical, probably implementing a 3-4 scheme.

Interesting decision given the investment they have made in 4-3 talent, specifically Mario Williams. I wonder if they'll purge talent like Mangini unnecessarily did to us... or if they'll try to make it work with what they've got.

Draft day should be interesting, its going to be tough to get any value on DE or OLB talent with all these 3-4 teams in the league now. I can see even more "hybrids" getting over-drafted than ever before.

Did they seriously keep Kubiak?

Why not? He's built up a high end offense there and everyone knew the D sucked. The fact that they're everyone's favorite preseason sleeper is a good thing and means they're on the way up...the Cardinals sat like that for a while and then bs'd their way to a Super Bowl appearance/loss.

Phillips can do alot for that D, especially since that front 7 has alot of big athletes (Williams, Smith, Ryans, Cushing, Okoye, Barwin) who still have room to grow as players. They need more DBs though because that secondary is terrible. I'm interested in what he does with Williams, but I doubt it ends poorly for either party.

Phillips can do alot for that D, especially since that front 7 has alot of big athletes (Williams, Smith, Ryans, Cushing, Okoye, Barwin) who still have room to grow as players. They need more DBs though because that secondary is terrible. I'm interested in what he does with Williams, but I doubt it ends poorly for either party.

Agree. Williams is a freak and they could conceivably move him all over the front 7 in a 34.

Agree. Williams is a freak and they could conceivably move him all over the front 7 in a 34.

They have some serious talent on defense with Ryans and Mario, but not so sure they should go to the 3-4. Just seems like taking away from the strength a bit. Their secondary needs a huge upgrade.

They have some serious talent on defense with Ryans and Mario, but not so sure they should go to the 3-4. Just seems like taking away from the strength a bit. Their secondary needs a huge upgrade.

I wonder about this too... the skeptical side of me wants to see him install the 3-4 WITHOUT getting rid of all his 4-3 talent, and be successful in year one... because I still think we were sold a sh*t bill of goods by Mangini and there was no reason to give Vilma away for pretty much nothing.

I wonder about this too... the skeptical side of me wants to see him install the 3-4 WITHOUT getting rid of all his 4-3 talent, and be successful in year one... because I still think we were sold a sh*t bill of goods by Mangini and there was no reason to give Vilma away for pretty much nothing.

Completely agree with you ,meanwhile you are wasting a year getting everyone caught up to speed and figuring out your new weaknesses.

Ryans and Cushing would be a pretty scary ILB duo...or they could move him to OLB...also, Williams is enough of a freak to possibly even play OLB.

Smith has started as a guy who played both 4-3 DE and 3-4 DE for a Super Bowl team...then there's the young guys like Okoye and Barwin...they'll need a DT definitely but they needed one anyway...3-4 or 4-3 their secondary is absolutely terrible.

Archived