Shane Lechler likely in Raiders dohouse

BroadwayJ667

I dont remember the last time we had a punter performing as well as weatherford has this season. He has pinned teams inside the 20 too many times for me to remember.

Agreed. The guy's had his share of shanks, but I've never seen this franchise with a punter that so often gets the ball so close to the EZ without going in. Absent that, we may not have beaten Pittsburgh. And even though the only time we faked it this year was at a hideously stupid time, it doesn't hurt that the kid's really fast.

Lechler's great and has been for years. But he's really not an option when a team has so many starters on offense and defense with expiring contracts. 4 on defense and 2 on offense, and that doesn't include upgrading anywhere other than those positions or other non-starters like Brad Smith. Signing a 35 year-old, $4M/year punter isn't realistic.

Agreed. The guy's had his share of shanks, but I've never seen this franchise with a punter that so often gets the ball so close to the EZ without going in. Absent that, we may not have beaten Pittsburgh. And even though the only time we faked it this year was at a hideously stupid time, it doesn't hurt that the kid's really fast.

Lechler's great and has been for years. But he's really not an option when a team has so many starters on offense and defense with expiring contracts. 4 on defense and 2 on offense, and that doesn't include upgrading anywhere other than those positions or other non-starters like Brad Smith. Signing a 35 year-old, $4M/year punter isn't realistic.

Agreed. Go back a few years and I would give anything to have a punter like Lechler, but the Jets are in pretty damn good shape with Weatherford. I know some of the chicken little's around here want him cut every time he has a bad punt, but punters all around the league are so unbelievably inconsistent, even the best ones. He'll shank one every now and then, but there's none out there who don't. The guy's ball placement is unbelievable and more often than not he gets off a solid kick with good hang time to let the Jets coverage get down field. For a team who's had so many god awful punters for so many years, I'm not sure how more people aren't thrilled with him.

Archived