Winning football, losing football

Boozer76

Did the end of last night's game seem like deja vu to any of you with 30 seconds left? We were barely in "field goal" range with 30 seconds to go in a big playoff road game. Ring any bells? 6 years ago our bird brained coach figured that was enough and opted to have the QB kneel the ball to center it in the field with a shaky kicker. Yesterday, the coach let his young QB make an aggressive call and take us from questionable FG range with a shaky kicker to pretty much in range of a chip shot. There's playing to win, and there's playing not to lose. That's the difference between a Herm Edwards led team and a Rex Ryan led team. Herm would have settled for trying the 45+ yard and centered it right there. And we all know Folk would not have hit it.

Wrong. They were going to kick the long FG until the luckiest man in america (Jim Caldwell) called that retarded time out.

Huge difference between kicking a 50 yarder in Pittsburgh vs kicking one in a dome. Herm would never have allowed the QB to make the play call given the same set of circumstances. Herm/Curl would have also called a TO to try and ice Vinajerk.

Wrong. They were going to kick the long FG until the luckiest man in america (Jim Caldwell) called that retarded time out.

True. Post game they said they were going to center the ball on the next "running" play and kick a FG from a distance that I know none of us feel Folk would have made. The exact same mistake as the Pitt play-off game was about to be made.

The point is that would not have made any difference with Herman. He still would have called for the long FG from his "don't hurt me" fetal position. Rex took advantage of the break to take the advice and go for it.

"You play to win the game" my a$$.

True. Post game they said they were going to center the ball on the next "running" play and kick a FG from a distance that I know none of us feel Folk would have made. The exact same mistake as the Pitt play-off game was about to be made.

I was surprised to hear that as well, very un-Rexlike to settle like that.

The point is that would not have made any difference with Herman. He still would have called for the long FG from his "don't hurt me" fetal position. Rex took advantage of the break to take the advice and go for it.

This.

I think the big difference is that Caldwell made a really stupid decision and used that time out. Even the Colts #2 coach (Manning) was stunned. I think he wanted to punch Caldwell.

Rex was playing the exact same game as Herm and had that run set up for the field goal because Folk said he was confident from there. Sanchez and Braylon wanted the pass play and it would have never happened if it wasn't for Caldwell being an idiot. I don't see how you can give Rex credit for making an unHerm-like move when he was about to do pretty much the exact same thing.

I think the big difference is that Caldwell made a really stupid decision and used that time out. Even the Colts #2 coach (Manning) was stunned. I think he wanted to punch Caldwell.

No doubt it was dumb. The point is we used to have a HC who was too dumb to take advantage of a dumb mistake.

Rex was playing the exact same game as Herm and had that run set up for the field goal because Folk said he was confident from there. Sanchez and Braylon wanted the pass play and it would have never happened if it wasn't for Caldwell being an idiot. I don't see how you can give Rex credit for making an unHerm-like move when he was about to do pretty much the exact same thing.

Do you think Herm would allow Sanchez to make the play call given the same set of circumstances? I don't.

Did he end up doing it? Give him credit for taking advantage of the break and letting his guys talk him into something more aggressive. Herm would have gone after them for questioning his fear.

Do you think Herm would allow Sanchez to make the play call given the same set of circumstances? I don't.

The articles that I've seen about Sanchez/Braylon's decision say that Schotty relented and let them call a pass play, with nary a word of Rex's involvement in the matter.

There's a lot of things to praise Rex for but I think this one's a stretch. He was about to pull a Herm and got lucky, and the ensuing decision was made by the players, not by him. If Caldwell doesn't call that timeout and Folk misses the field goal, is Rex just like Herm now? We should stop comparing the two, in my opinion.

Did he end up doing it? Give him credit for taking advantage of the break and letting his guys talk him into something more aggressive. Herm would have gone after them for questioning his fear.

No disrespect but that does not answer the question of how in the world without the Colt TO he was not going to try and get Folk closer. He still had a TO in his pocket.

They talked Schotty into it, I don't know if Rex was involved in that conversation at all to be honest.

The articles that I've seen about Sanchez/Braylon's decision say that Schotty relented and let them call a pass play, with nary a word of Rex's involvement in the matter.

There's a lot of things to praise Rex for but I think this one's a stretch. He was about to pull a Herm and got lucky, and the ensuing decision was made by the players, not by him. If Caldwell doesn't call that timeout and Folk misses the field goal, is Rex just like Herm now? We should stop comparing the two, in my opinion.

I find it hard to believe Rex had no input.

It's not the exact same game. Besides the circumstances - dome/Pitt - they were going to run the ball, not kneel down. The Jets were gashing them with the run. It wasn't going to be a BS QB kneeldown that actually loses a yard.

No disrespect but that does not answer the question of how in the world without the Colt TO he was not going to try and get Folk closer. He still had a TO in his pocket.

And who says they would not have then used their own TO if the Colts didn't? Why would they not have at that point? Good Lord, we are arguing about a dumb decision by our Coach that did not end up being made. LOL

It's not the exact same game. Besides the circumstances - dome/Pitt - they were going to run the ball, not kneel down. The Jets were gashing them with the run. It wasn't going to be a BS QB kneeldown that actually loses a yard.

The post game presser said they were going to run to "center" the ball for the FG. It is the same as the kneel down that was done for the same purpose. Happy with the outcome but it still was a strange statement and potential misuse of time and field position.

Doesn't matter, Rex/Herm have the final say on what play or type (run or pass) will be run. I can't see Herm allowing any player to override him or any of his coaches in that circumstance, and would be determined to run the ball. I also think there's a big difference between kicking in Pitt vs the dome. Herm was thinking he was kicking in a dome that game.

The post game presser said they were going to run to "center" the ball for the FG. It is the same as the kneel down that was done for the same purpose. Happy with the outcome but it still was a strange statement and potential misuse of time and field position.

I know what they said, but they were still going to run a play. I also think there is a big difference kicking in that dome where even Folk's KO's were blowing well into the endzone.

They were at, what? A 53 yard field goal beforehand? If they got their average for the game they're still looking at a 47-48 yarder. Either way, it's conservative.

Also, DMaynard, if we use the timeout there we have none left if we do throw it and don't get out of bounds. If you're going to go that route might as well throw before the timeout.

Did the end of last night's game seem like deja vu to any of you with 30 seconds left? We were barely in "field goal" range with 30 seconds to go in a big playoff road game. Ring any bells? 6 years ago our bird brained coach figured that was enough and opted to have the QB kneel the ball to center it in the field with a shaky kicker. Yesterday, the coach let his young QB make an aggressive call and take us from questionable FG range with a shaky kicker to pretty much in range of a chip shot. There's playing to win, and there's playing not to lose. That's the difference between a Herm Edwards led team and a Rex Ryan led team. Herm would have settled for trying the 45+ yard and centered it right there. And we all know Folk would not have hit it.

Yeah, and I also heard that Rex was consulted by NASA and werner van braun when they were building the Saturn 5 moon rocket. the man is a genious.

You're not a real Jet fan. why do you hate Rex so much? 23-13 in 2 years and 3 playoff wins. stop hating on the guy. you would rather have Herm or Mangini.

They were at, what? A 53 yard field goal beforehand? If they got their average for the game they're still looking at a 47-48 yarder. Either way, it's conservative.

Also, DMaynard, if we use the timeout there we have none left if we do throw it and don't get out of bounds. If you're going to go that route might as well throw before the timeout.

There is a big difference between conservative and what Herm did. They had a 1st and 10 at the 25 with a minute left and all three time outs. Herm managed 2 running plays and then kneeled before taking his second timeout. They finished the game with one left. 43 yards in that weather was a longer kick than 50 in the dome. I don't think there had been a made kick over 50 in Heinz field up until that point. I think part of the reason Reed got cut was for whining about the turf and sh*tty kicking conditions.

There is a big difference between conservative and what Herm did. They had a 1st and 10 at the 25 with a minute left and all three time outs. Herm managed 2 running plays and then kneeled before taking his second timeout. They finished the game with one left. 43 yards in that weather was a longer kick than 50 in the dome. I don't think there had been a made kick over 50 in Heinz field up until that point. I think part of the reason Reed got cut was for whining about the turf and sh*tty kicking conditions.

Dom, the Jets had a punt return and an int return for td's in that game. it should have never even been close.(I think the Jets were the only team in nfl history to lose a game with a pick 6 and punt return for td in a game) how anybody can compare these two games is beyond me. I would rather go down swinging trying to win than playing like a pussy (like Herm did)

Dom, the Jets had a punt return and an int returd for td's in that game. it should have never even been close. how anybody can compare thses two games is beyond me. I would rather go down swinging trying to win than playing like a pussy (like Herm did)

Exactly. Rex and Schotty calling a run to set up the kicker would be conservative. Not even running 3 plays in a minute with all three timeouts was playing like a pussy.

And what is the discussion if they kick the long FG and make it? Or the pass to Edwards is intercepted? The hindsite on this board is genius level.

Aren't you guilty of this yourself earlier in the thread?

This thread is confusing. I don't think the Herm comparisons are justified either way, and there are responses from those saying it was unHerm-like saying that the situations are very different. Um, the two coaches shouldn't be compared then. Unless I'm missing something?

This.

Frankly, the Jets ****ed up royally on the previous possession by not running the clock out and opting for a homerun attempt to Braylon. Indy should never have gotten the ball back, Vinatieri should have never been given the chance to give them a lead, and frankly... we were lucky to make a couple plays and have Caldwell call the timeout to offset Rex/Schotty handling the last 4 minutes poorly.

Aren't you guilty of this yourself earlier in the thread?

This thread is confusing. I don't think the Herm comparisons are justified either way, and there are responses from those saying it was unHerm-like saying that the situations are very different. Um, the two coaches shouldn't be compared then. Unless I'm missing something?

Yes I am and it is confusing. I forgot what the argument is. :D

Let's just beat the Pats.

Archived