The choice to defer.

visajets

Im not sure if its been discussed and im too dam lazy today to look for it. But the NYJETS deferred and Pittsbugh chewed about the entire 1st quarter and scored. Anyone think we should have taken the ball? Remember when Brad Smith ran back the opening kickoff a few weeks ago it took the crowd and the Steelers out of the game.

I don't think it matters. Each team gets one kickoff. It is probably smart to start on your stronger side of the ball when nerves are involved in a big game. I don't think it is an issue.

I disagree in that particuliar sequence Pittsburgh controlled the ball and wore down our defense on the opening drive. They also exploited our defensive game plan which helped them score all the points they needed to win in the first half.

One of the positive to that if youre a defensive team is that you get film early in the contest and a jump on what the other offense is doing to make adjustments and such.

The Jets D looked flat. If they had the same intensity that they brought to NE, they would have wiped Pittsburgh off the map IMO.

Yes, in retrospect we should've received. I don't think rex was planning on his team forgetting how to tackle and giving up a 9 minute TD drive to start off. Really, it was a terrible way to start the game on the road, in the playoffs. They had the momentum and the fans were gpoing beserk..

Im not sure if its been discussed and im too dam lazy today to look for it. But the NYJETS deferred and Pittsbugh chewed about the entire 1st quarter and scored. Anyone think we should have taken the ball? Remember when Brad Smith ran back the opening kickoff a few weeks ago it took the crowd and the Steelers out of the game.

Historically, you win the toss you get the ball...thats football 101. The unothrodox approach is what you see when a team has a dominate defense and even then its 95% you receive the kick-off....anyway thats my view...

Deferring is the best option for this team.

For one, we have the insurance that if things dont go well in the first half, we know we are getting the ball in the second half. and TBH, our offense is a slow starting one, we probably would have gone 3 and out given the steelers good FP and they would have the ball to start the 2nd half.

I disagree in that particuliar sequence Pittsburgh controlled the ball and wore down our defense on the opening drive. They also exploited our defensive game plan which helped them score all the points they needed to win in the first half.

That's great to say as a second guess...what would you have said if we took the ball, sent our offense out into the teeth of a fired up crowd, went three and out and punted the ball back to them to their 40 yard line? It just makes sense to send your stronger unit out to start the game.

Yes, in retrospect we should've received. I don't think rex was planning on his team forgetting how to tackle and giving up a 9 minute TD drive to start off. Really, it was a terrible way to start the game on the road, in the playoffs. They had the momentum and the fans were gpoing beserk..

Perhaps, but I had no problem with deferring.

The Steeler defense would have been so amped that the Jets would have probably gone 3 & out.

It was a great call. We stopped them twice, but the refs had two HORRIBLE spots, making it so PIT could score....

The Steeler defense would have been so amped that the Jets would have probably gone 3 & out.

Instead we saw the Steeler offense run a clinic on our D, tire them and eat up 10 minutes of the 1st quarter and score.

Deferring was correct.

If we kickoff, their pre-game plan STILL works, and we get stuffed 1 possession sooner.

And then we DONT get to kickoff in the 2nd half.

How are you guys claiming the kickoff is better?

If we had kicked off, we'd have had LESS time in the 2nd half to catch back up.

Instead we saw the Steeler offense run a clinic on our D, tire them and eat up 10 minutes of the 1st quarter and score.

The problem you describe above sounds like a problem with the defense and not whether we kicked off or received. As I said before, everyone gets the ball once....who cares? Send out your best unit to start a big game. Sounds like you are blaming a crappy opening defensive effort on the coin toss decision.

in hindsight it was a mistake, but I understand why Rex does it. It takes the pressure off Sanchez and puts it on the defense to make a stop early. I don't disagree with the decision, especially when you have faith in your defense to actually make the stop. Our D didn't make the stop unfortunately

The way Schotty calls an offense and coaches scared, it would'nt have surprised me at all if he ran two plays, got scared and then said "here, you guys take the ball" as they punted on 3rd down.

We would have just gone three and out. Also doesn't BB usually defer too?

Getting the ball first in the second half is great. You get to make adjustments and it can keep you in the game or win it. If the game is tied or you get the 2 minute drill to score in the first half, then get the ball and score again, that's usually a huge momentum shift.

If the Jets got the ball first I don't think this game is even as close as it got. If we could actually score a TD with 4 plays from the 2 we'd probably have tied that game and maybe even won it.

Archived