Running The Football

SoFlaJets

Don't agree completely. But the idea you're going to run successfully between the tackles and right at Wilfork, Ngata, a Jenkins brother, Hampton or any of these close to 400 Lbers is really really stupid football. Unless your Marty Schotenheimers's son, thesn you call those plays habitually out of some familial obligation. It's a waste of a down. There are simply too many big DL guys that running straight up center or guard is dumb.

has become a thing of the past.

This is the age long argument...people dis backs for having bad games in the playoffs. The sh*t people knock Curtis for.

This might be news to some, but teams that make it this far, typically defend the run really well. I know its crazy.

#1 vs. #2 defense were out there last night. 1 team is historically great a defending the run and the other has been outstanding of late. This is what happens late in the postseason. Thats why QB is so important.

This is the age long argument...people dis backs for having bad games in the playoffs. The sh*t people knock Curtis for.

This might be news to some, but teams that make it this far, typically defend the run really well. I know its crazy.

#1 vs. #2 defense were out there last night. 1 team is historically great a defending the run and the other has been outstanding of late. This is what happens late in the postseason. Thats why QB is so important.

GB's rush defense is thier weakness, actually. And most people who dig deep into the stats come away agreeing that being able to pass the ball and defend the pass are the two most important factors in winning. incidently, GB and Pitts were 1 and 2 in pass defense..

The nfl wants more scoring and a more wide open game, they've altered rules to make that happen. Just like when the nhl was dying to outlaw the neutral zone trap

I disagree. The league has legislated to make passing the ball easier. Any group of sh*theads should be able to pass to some extent. It has made running more difficult, but you shouldn't avoid it. Running teams are generally more consistent and much more conducive to having the kind of defense needed in the playoffs. Teams that just spread the ball out tend to have trouble defensively.

GB's rush defense is thier weakness, actually. And most people who dig deep into the stats come away agreeing that being able to pass the ball and defend the pass are the two most important factors in winning. incidently, GB and Pitts were 1 and 2 in pass defense..

The nfl wants more scoring and a more wide open game, they've altered rules to make that happen. Just like when the nhl was dying to outlaw the neutral zone trap

It was at the beginning of the year...but not toward the end. They were pretty lights out against the run toward the end of the season and especially in the playoffs.

And I dont disagree with your premise, but running the ball is certainly extremely important. Look at the teams that made the playoffs, outside of the Colts and Packers...all the playoff teams are great at running the Football...and they were good, but kept having a revolving door at the RB position.

Yeah, really. People like that will never learn that we shouldn't expect our (supposedly) best player to show up when he's needed the most. Besides, in '98 Denver held every RB they faced to 1.1 ypc.

RB's who outgained Curtis Martin against Denver in 1998:

Robert Edwards

Sedrick Shaw

Emmitt Smith

Sherman Williams

Napoleon Kaufman

Harvey Williams

Charlie Garner

Ricky Watters

Fred Taylor

Damien Shelton

Corey Dillon

Natrone Means

Bam Morris

Terrell Fletcher

Kimble Anders

Gary Brown

John Avery

Jamal Anderson

Somewhat dwarfs the list of RB's that Martin outplayed.

But to hear Martinettes tell it, all of these guys (with the exception of Emmitt I suppose) weren't fit to carry Curtis Martin's jock.

It was at the beginning of the year...but not toward the end. They were pretty lights out against the run toward the end of the season and especially in the playoffs.

And I dont disagree with your premise, but running the ball is certainly extremely important. Look at the teams that made the playoffs, outside of the Colts and Packers...all the playoff teams are great at running the Football...and they were good, but kept having a revolving door at the RB position.

pretty sure that's not true at all, but ok..

Yeah, really. People like that will never learn that we shouldn't expect our (supposedly) best player to show up when he's needed the most. Besides, in '98 Denver held every RB they faced to 1.1 ypc.

Robert Edwards

Sedrick Shaw

Emmitt Smith

Sherman Williams

Napoleon Kaufman

Harvey Williams

Charlie Garner

Ricky Watters

Fred Taylor

Damien Shelton

Corey Dillon

Natrone Means

Bam Morris

Terrell Fletcher

Kimble Anders

Gary Brown

John Avery

Jamal Anderson

But to hear Martinettes tell it, all of these guys (with the exception of Emmitt I suppose) weren't fit to carry Curtis Martin's jock.

Cool story bro, but you are totally wasting your time.

I can poopoo on plenty of HOF "elite" Rb's careers for not showing up in the postseason or a big game. It happens all the time.

pretty sure that's not true at all, but ok..

No it is...go look. Last 6 games of the year and postseason, they only let 1 team go over 100 yards rushing (Chicago) and it was like 110.

Its all relative though, most teams were playing catch up cause Aaron's been on fire and probably abandoned the run a bit...but they were still really good vs it as the season progressed. And you have to remember all the injuries they've over come too.

Robert Edwards

Sedrick Shaw

Emmitt Smith

Sherman Williams

Napoleon Kaufman

Harvey Williams

Charlie Garner

Ricky Watters

Fred Taylor

Damien Shelton

Corey Dillon

Natrone Means

Bam Morris

Terrell Fletcher

Kimble Anders

Gary Brown

John Avery

Jamal Anderson

But Martin's a WARRIOR!And he played with a bad OL, which somehow had a HoF center in it the entire time he was with the Jets, and bad QBs, despite that both of the main guys made the Pro Bowl(Testaverde in 1998, in Pennington's case as an injury replacement 1 time) while Martin was with the Jets.

Also in the 1998 game, Testaverde, a bad QB as we've been told, outplayed Elway. Davis seriously outplayed a certain warrior.

has become a thing of the past.

Fact is you need to be balanced and be able to do both run and throw.

GB raised their level of play when they were able to run the last quarter of the season.

The fact they couldn't run yesterday and were still able to win is more attributed to the Steeler turnovers leading directly to 21 points.

Just my two cents.

No it is...go look. Last 6 games of the year and postseason, they only let 1 team go over 100 yards rushing (Chicago) and it was like 110.

Its all relative though, most teams were playing catch up cause Aaron's been on fire and probably abandoned the run a bit...but they were still really good vs it as the season progressed. And you have to remember all the injuries they've over come too.

I looked. I think your numbers are off. They were strong through the playoffs 81-45-83 yards, but not lights out at the end of the season. Their last 6 prior to the playoffs in reverse order Bears-110, Giants 90 while, as you mentioned playing catchup with the Pack putting up 45, Pats 113, Lions 190(!), 49ers 97 and Falcons 117. Their three best games came in the first 9, but the two prior to your "last six games" were among their best 93 to the Vikings and 39 to the Cowboys, but those games were also routs.

That's meaningless

Its all relative though, most teams were playing catch up cause Aaron's been on fire and probably abandoned the run a bit...

bingo..

the efficiency stats indicate no improvement from mid season till end season

It has become a passing league..you must be able to spread the field on offense and get to the qb on defense

It's been a passing league since Otto Graham.

This x 1000.

Throwing the ball and defending the pass are the keys to success in today's NFL. It's why the 2009 Jets defense was better than the 2010 version - because in in 2009, they were far and away the best pass defense in the league.

Sanchez improved last year, and that improvement needs to continue. Schottenheimer needs to improve, too. Hopefully he learned something about setting up his QB with easier throws in the second half of the season. It looked like it.

The running game is never going to go away, though. It's critical to keeping the defense honest, and in helping your own defense (by keeping them off the field). But a running team has much less of a margin for error on offense than a team capable of striking from anywhere on the field - like you can do in a strong passing offense. One holding penalty on a ground & pound offense, and that drive is pretty much kaput.

This is also why the WR's and CB's should be a bigger priority than David Harris, or drafting another RB/FB. In the last two years, the Jets spent three picks on Shonn Greene, two on Joe McKnight, and another on FB John Conner. That sh!t has to stop.

How can it all be about passing when passing too much sabotages your defense? Passing doesn't lead to sustained drives, running does.

Anyway, passing is not real football.

"When we score seven points, I’ll say we’re slow starting. If we score 21 points, I’ll say, ‘Whoa, we scored a lot of points.’ Twenty-one points – that’s a lot of points. Thirty points? That isn’t even a football game. That’s Arena Football. We’re talking about real football."

Never gets old.

"When we score seven points, I’ll say we’re slow starting. If we score 21 points, I’ll say, ‘Whoa, we scored a lot of points.’ Twenty-one points – that’s a lot of points. Thirty points? That isn’t even a football game. That’s Arena Football. We’re talking about real football."

Never gets old.

Well anyway, I agree with Herm. *Shiver*

Archived