DeVito fires back at Dilfer for his Smoke & Mirros comment

Kentucky Jet

DeVito -- yes, DeVito -- fires back at Dilfer

March, 19, 2011 Mar 1910:53AM

By Rich CiminiJets DE Mike DeVito, the ultimate show-up-for-work-and-keep-your-mouth-shut football player, fired back at ESPN analyst Trent Dilfer for a comment made on a draft preview segment.

Dilfer, speaking about the Jets' defense in an "On the Clock" segment that aired earlier in the week, said the Jets' success is based on "smoke and mirrors." Dilfer was praising the coaching staff, how its clever schemes compensate for a lack of dynamic talent on the defensive side of the ball.

On Saturday morning, DeVito weighed in on twitter.

"I think it takes more than "smoke and mirrors" to be in the top 3 defenses 2 yrs in a row!" Devito said.

For most players, a comment like that wouldnt raise many eyebrows. But for DeVito, one of the least-quoted players on the team, it's downright OchoCinco-like.

DeVito is right about the facts: The Jets ranked No. 1 and No. 3 in total defense in 2009 and 2010, respectively.

1. Dilfer is right.

2. This shows what an amazing coaching staff we have on the defensive side of the ball.

3. Imagine if we had more than 1.5 good players on our front 7?

Actually Devito is right.

Which 1.5 do you think are good? Devito is one of them. It's true they aren't "dynamic" but they are all good.

All the people hopping up and down saying we need front 7 have been doing it for ages and the D is still good.

Meh .. Both are right.. We have top flight cb .. Last years top fa cb.. 2 years ago tob ilb.. 2 first rf picks on dline.. Pace was fa price not to long ago.. This defense has talent but clearly went from bad to above average with the switch from manginibto Ryan.. 09 was awesome

1. Dilfer is right.

2. This shows what an amazing coaching staff we have on the defensive side of the ball.

3. Imagine if we had more than 1.5 good players on our front 7?

1. Yes he is.

2. Having Revis take away one side doesnt hurt either

3. If we had a Terrel Suggs type coming off the edge; this D would be elite.

Which 1.5 do you think are good? Devito is one of them. It's true they aren't "dynamic" but they are all good.

All the people hopping up and down saying we need front 7 have been doing it for ages and the D is still good.

For me the signifigance of DeVito's remarks stem from the fact that he spoke up for his teammates. That is unity and united we stand; divided we fall. DeVitos is the epitome of the player-type who excells with REX. Tough-as-nails and balls to the wall attitude. We win as a unit complimenting each other.

With that said if this defensive unit were to draft two quality players either at OLB and DE or DE and FS, this team will be dominant on defense for years to come. It would make the job much easier for Sanchez ala the Raqven defense and Dilfer a few years ago.I thank DeVito for sticking up for his team!

I have to agree with MadMike...slowly throwing up in my mouth.

Your D has one elite players and 10 good to very good players that execute Ryan's brilliant game plans very very well.

Both Ds are physical, but go about by different means. The Steelers are the typical blunt object while the Jets' are tough and physical, but are schematically superior.

FWIW, I agree that there aren't many "dynamic players" on this D. Revis taking away half the field is nice, but they were fine without him and did a pretty good job the whole time he was gimping around like Ricky Henderson with his hammy. Getting a serious pass rusher or a fast centerfield type safety could move the D up a notch to great. The issue is that the D is already so good that just picking some okay type safety or OLB/DE is not going to make any big change. Adding a solid starter isn't going to help and that's what you can expect picking at 30.

I am ******* sick about hearing about them letting Pittsburgh score in the AFC championship. The D is a a top unit in the NFL. The NFL is an offensive league. They are not yet an all-time great D. If they had an LT (the real one) or Ed Reed they would be an all-time great D. IMO you do not force yourself to draft players to improve a top 5 D. There are at least as many holes on offense and the offense is far from top 5. We can count on Sanchez getting better, but he needs all the help he can get. Whether that is more weapons on O, more linemen to protect and provide a smash-mouth running game or something to get the defense to shut people out remains to be seen.

This team lost 6 games last year and in 4 they failed to break double digits. They only lost one game where the O scored more than 20 points. Scoring is more of a problem that stopping teams. For all the squawking about the lack of tackling, the D only gave up 17 against Pitt and the offense scored more points for Pittsburgh than the Jets in the 1st half.

FWIW, I agree that there aren't many "dynamic players" on this D. Revis taking away half the field is nice, but they were fine without him and did a pretty good job the whole time he was gimping around like Ricky Henderson with his hammy. Getting a serious pass rusher or a fast centerfield type safety could move the D up a notch to great. The issue is that the D is already so good that just picking some okay type safety or OLB/DE is not going to make any big change. Adding a solid starter isn't going to help and that's what you can expect picking at 30.

I am ******* sick about hearing about them letting Pittsburgh score in the AFC championship. The D is a a top unit in the NFL. The NFL is an offensive league. They are not yet an all-time great D. If they had an LT (the real one) or Ed Reed they would be an all-time great D. IMO you do not force yourself to draft players to improve a top 5 D. There are at least as many holes on offense and the offense is far from top 5. We can count on Sanchez getting better, but he needs all the help he can get. Whether that is more weapons on O, more linemen to protect and provide a smash-mouth running game or something to get the defense to shut people out remains to be seen.

This team lost 6 games last year and in 4 they failed to break double digits. They only lost one game where the O scored more than 20 points. Scoring is more of a problem that stopping teams. For all the squawking about the lack of tackling, the D only gave up 17 against Pitt and the offense scored more points for Pittsburgh than the Jets in the 1st half.

Great Points Dom.

In the end how many yards the D yields and sacks and turnovers the D creates (INTs the D drops ;)), the most important stat is points allowed.

The Jets do very well at not giving up too many points. That is all that matters.

Great Points Dom.

In the end how many yards the D yields and sacks and turnovers the D creates (INTs the D drops ;)), the most important stat is points allowed.

The Jets do very well at not giving up too many points. That is all that matters.

I dont know what they call that in Kansas but here in NY its a wet sloppy drunken blow job with a facial.

You can talk all the numbers you want. In the AFCCG they failed the all important eye test.

Cant wait.

I dont know what they call that in Kansas but here in NY its a wet sloppy drunken blow job with a facial.

You can talk all the numbers you want. In the AFCCG they failed the all important eye test.

Cant wait.

I don't even understand this.

They had a bad half against the Steelers. So did the offense. What did your eyes tell you about the offense in the AFC title game? The offense had way more bad halves than the defense. They also probably have a similar number of key FAs. Pool-Ellis-Cromartie vs. Holmes-Edwards-Hunter. I just don't see why the D NEEDS upgrading. It would be nice, but one bad half against the AFC champs is something to be pissed about, but not as bad as the offense scoring -7 in thesame half, being shut out by the Packers, putting up 9 against the Ravens or 6 against the Dolphins.

Archived