Brady's replacement?

faba

Are the New England Patriots preparing for life without Tom Brady? According to sources, New England is exploring the possibility of adding an eventual successor in this year's NFL draft.

2011 NFL Draft

The Carolina Panthers are on the clock. Follow the latest developments with our division bloggers and Scouts Inc.

NFL Nation | Scouts Inc.

• Draft Machine: Your mock?

• Mel Kiper: Mock Draft 4.0 | Index

• Todd McShay: Mock Draft 5.0

• Draft Home | Draft on Twitter

• Complete draft order

• NFL draft topics page

The Patriots are hosting a two-day visit Tuesday and Wednesday with top quarterback prospect Jake Locker of Washington, sources told ESPN.com. Locker, who threw for 2,265 yards and 17 touchdowns last season, is projected to be a mid-to-late first-round pick.

This year the Patriots have the No. 17 and No. 28 overall picks, which could afford New England the luxury of filling an immediate need and potentially drafting a highly rated quarterback in the first round to groom behind Brady, the NFL's reigning Most Valuable Player.

New England does not have any proven quarterbacks on its roster behind Brady. Backup Brian Hoyer joined New England as an undrafted rookie free agent in 2009 and has thrown for just 264 yards, one touchdown and one interception in his career.

Brady, who will turn 34 in August, is signed with New England through the 2014 season and is still playing at an elite level. Therefore, the Patriots should have several years to find and develop their quarterback of the future.

James Walker covers the NFL for ESPN.com. You can follow him on Twitter.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I read an article basically saying the exact same thing about the Colts and Manning. I think its pure fluff meant to try and generate interest in the NFL, at a time where the league is becoming off-putting to the fans.

I read an article basically saying the exact same thing about the Colts and Manning. I think its pure fluff meant to try and generate interest in the NFL, at a time where the league is becoming off-putting to the fans.

Interesting that there would be whispers about Brady and Manning's replacements during a lockout in which they (along with Drew Brees) are serving as the faces of the player's unionesque. Could be merely a shot across the bow orchestrated by Kraft just to send a little message that every player--no matter how great they are--is essentially a temp.

Interesting that there would be whispers about Brady and Manning's replacements during a lockout in which they (along with Drew Brees) are serving as the faces of the player's unionesque. Could be merely a shot across the bow orchestrated by Kraft just to send a little message that every player--no matter how great they are--is essentially a temp.

....more likely, Tom, "anti-establishment" Shane, is that with the first pick in the second round and with teams in dire need of a QB, the Patriots are playing the game and setting up a draft day trade with that pick.

Yah, the first pick of the second round is definitely as valuable as the 94th pick. And PSL's are a great investment! :rolleyes:

Wait what? Maybe in 2008 it wouldn't make sense for them to take a QB earlier... but Brady is on his way out... how many years does he have left? most QB's take 3 years to get ready... and imagine if they draft another O'Connell that could put them 5 years out from replacing brady.

Wait what? Maybe in 2008 it wouldn't make sense for them to take a QB earlier... but Brady is on his way out... how many years does he have left? most QB's take 3 years to get ready... and imagine if they draft another O'Connell that could put them 5 years out from replacing brady.

The stadium is a huge upgrade! I am spending my money wisely, damn it!!!!!! Why don't you all agree with me???!!!!! Whaaa!!!!!!

How many years does Brady have left? The answer is: More than you hope he does.

It must be so cool to know exactly how the future is going to pan out.

Fans of the remaining 31 teams will cheer when Brady steps away from the game.

I cannot wait until Manning retires.

I figure Brady has got 5 more years left in him, give or take. His knowledge of the game will help carry him a lot even when he's physically declining.

I guess it's always a good idea to begin grooming a QB just in case, but you want to avoid the Kevin Kolb and Aaron Rodgers situation where you've got a hungry young backup on his last contract year and a declining Brady fighting it out.

Fans of the remaining 31 teams will cheer when Brady steps away from the game.

I cannot wait until Manning retires.

Im sorry, but an aging Brady that cant move at all and cries when he's breathed on isnt scaring anyone anymore. Brady 03-04 isnt walking through that door.

His whole image makes it even better. Mr. Bundchen, the fake hair, the crying when hit...its become pretty hysterical as an opposing fan to see Brady go from American underdog to primma donna celebrity who hasnt won a playoff game in 3 years, and chip in 6. The ESPN special was incredibly forced.

Im sorry, but an aging Brady that cant move at all and cries when he's breathed on isnt scaring anyone anymore. Brady 03-04 isnt walking through that door.

His whole image makes it even better. Mr. Bundchen, the fake hair, the crying when hit...its become pretty hysterical as an opposing fan to see Brady go from American underdog to primma donna celebrity who hasnt won a playoff game in 3 years, and chip in 6. The ESPN special was incredibly forced.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves, Brady was godly last year; best in the game. There were months at a time where he put up big time numbers and threw no picks.

Rex is basically a genius for limiting him as much as he did in 2/3 games. But even then, Brady still found a way to embarrass him in the other game.

The party is over. Rex has figured out Bradys system.

All the other NFL teams will follow suit and execute Ryans gameplan. JIF said so.

I figure Brady has got 5 more years left in him, give or take. His knowledge of the game will help carry him a lot even when he's physically declining.

I guess it's always a good idea to begin grooming a QB just in case, but you want to avoid the Kevin Kolb and Aaron Rodgers situation where you've got a hungry young backup on his last contract year and a declining Brady fighting it out.

Lets be honest, its not like Brady was ever a physical specimen. I might be more athletic than him.

Brady tore his ACL and MCL.

Penny > Brady

Yes, but Brady has had time to recover. So they are about equal now.

The party is over. Rex has figured out Bradys system.

All the other NFL teams will follow suit and execute Ryans gameplan. JIF said so.

You guys will re-load on this draft and be very good this season. 10-12 regular season wins and first round playoff loss. Brady for MVP and Belli as coach of the year. Book it!

Yeah but no way you look that good in a pony tail.

Ha! Probably very true.

Agreed. They give those MVP awards to anybody these days! :rolleyes:

MVP is a joke. Why not just call it the best QB or RB award. In the last 20 years, only 2 non QB/RB was awarded MVP. LT and a F'ing place kicker.

And how someone can be awarded MVP and lose their only playoff game at home is beyond me all the while throwing to the elite Wes Welker...is beyond me.

Archived