real linebacker in 1

bitonti

Martez Wilson

Akeem Ayers

Justin Houston

all been in for visits, all have real LB experience

that's experience different than the Reed/Sheard guys who haven't played the position and would have to stand up

they are obviously gonna look for DL (Heyward, Wilkerson) and CB (Jimmy Smith)

if they don't mortgage the draft for Cam Jordan

these 3 names are looking likely. Brooks Reed might be their plan if everything goes to sh*t. But all signs point to they want a real linebacker.

Forced to choose 1 my preference is Houston but I suspect the Jets would take any of em at 30. I'd be happy with any of em as well.

Wilson is crap. I know this is a really vague question that betrays my own ignorance, but doesn't Houston have effort issues?

I think all three of them are basically average motor guys -- forced to choose, Ayers is best and Houston worst. The knocks are simple. Houston's a one-trick pony, Ayers is a universal square peg, and Wilson gets blown up by any contact he can't avoid.

Houston being a "real LB" is stretch...

he played linebacker last year at Georgia. He stood up for most of the plays on 2010 film. That's linebacker enough for the Jets purposes. Im getting this feeling that they want to avoid another conversion in light of the GHolston disaster. So don't worry about Reed it's prob not gonna happen.

as for him being a one trick pony, check the youtubes he had a fumble recovery for TD against GA TEch and a sweet int against Kentucky. He looks more natural at linebacker than many other prospects... and he worked out too good for them to pass on...

I get the feeling about Houston that he's this year's Jason Pierre Paul. Freaky power, good athlete, but no one is exactly sure how he'll translate. I wouldn't hate the pick.

I don't understand this comparison. Pierre-Paul was an internet sensation whose tested measurables never even showed up on the tape let alone translated into production even at the college level. Houston's explosion was undeniable even before he tore up the combine, and he's put up numbers out of multiple defensive fronts for two years in the SEC. The knocks on Houston and Ayers (only great at one thing/good at everything, not great at anything) are going to apply to anybody you'll see at 30. Which of the two you'd prefer to live with, obviously, is a philosophical question that's moot because either the choice will be made for us or it will be made based on who Rex clicks with best.

he played linebacker last year at Georgia. He stood up for most of the plays on 2010 film. That's linebacker enough for the Jets purposes. Im getting this feeling that they want to avoid another conversion in light of the GHolston disaster. So don't worry about Reed it's prob not gonna happen.

as for him being a one trick pony, check the youtubes he had a fumble recovery for TD against GA TEch and a sweet int against Kentucky. He looks more natural at linebacker than many other prospects... and he worked out too good for them to pass on...

And it's almost universal that his best position is 4-3 DE...and that he really wasn't all that impressive when asked to do something like play in space...he was at his best when they asked him to pin his ears back like the DE he is.

Not to mention that the 3-4 OLB position requires some savvy in your game...which I just don't buy Houston having right now.

And it's almost universal that his best position is 4-3 DE...and that he really wasn't all that impressive when asked to do something like play in space...he was at his best when they asked him to pin his ears back like the DE he is.

Not to mention that the 3-4 OLB position requires some savvy in your game...which I just don't buy Houston having right now.

altho that's true, they aint drafting a coverage linebacker at 30. they are drafting a pass rusher... someone who can make plays. Clinks said in the PC that OLB position is designed to drop back something like 15% of the time it's not imperative that teh LBs cover like CBs.

I don't understand this comparison. Pierre-Paul was an internet sensation whose tested measurables never even showed up on the tape let alone translated into production even at the college level. Houston's explosion was undeniable even before he tore up the combine, and he's put up numbers out of multiple defensive fronts for two years in the SEC. The knocks on Houston and Ayers (only great at one thing/good at everything, not great at anything) are going to apply to anybody you'll see at 30. Which of the two you'd prefer to live with, obviously, is a philosophical question that's moot because either the choice will be made for us or it will be made based on who Rex clicks with best.

It was a really superficial comparison on my part. Just in looking at the first round talent, Houston is the enigma--he's got the size and power/speed numbers of a higher pick, but he's lingering in a lower spot on so many boards. I'm just wondering aloud if anyone will look at the mistake teams made of passing on Pierre-Paul last year and jump on Houston earlier than some think. Not exactly like the Freeney situation, but something similar.

It was a really superficial comparison on my part. Just in looking at the first round talent, Houston is the enigma--he's got the size and power/speed numbers of a higher pick, but he's lingering in a lower spot on so many boards. I'm just wondering aloud if anyone will look at the mistake teams made of passing on Pierre-Paul last year and jump on Houston earlier than some think. Not exactly like the Freeney situation, but something similar.

I think it's teams being gun-shy after Gholston to an extent. Ten sacks in the SEC with the size-speed-strength that he has, you'd think he'd be a very high draft pick. But there are motor/effort concerns, and a couple of years after an athletic marvel with outstanding production in a major conference who had similar concerns and ended up being a bust of epic proportions was drafted I think teams are really hesitant. But if he's got more passion for the game than people think he does, could be quite a steal. Odds of him being as bad as Gholston are incredibly low, but even if he's remotely close to that career path and is selected in the first round he'll be a huge bust.

altho that's true, they aint drafting a coverage linebacker at 30. they are drafting a pass rusher... someone who can make plays. Clinks said in the PC that OLB position is designed to drop back something like 15% of the time it's not imperative that teh LBs cover like CBs.

No one's asking for a LB who can cover like a CB. It's asking for a LB who can competently drop into coverage as well as play up to the line.

Any thoughts about Ricky Elmore as late round flyer?

like him in the mid rounds as a 3-4 ILB convert. I don't know if he has the athleticism for OLB. if the Jets go LB in rd1 they won't have Ricky Elmore on their radar.

like him in the mid rounds as a 3-4 ILB convert. I don't know if he has the athleticism for OLB. if the Jets go LB in rd1 they won't have Ricky Elmore on their radar.

Its one of those years where I don't have a clear vision of where the Jets go in the first round...although I suspect this year the six picks will be defense heavy...you think Elmore is on their board mid to late if they go DE or NT or TE in round 1?

Its one of those years where I don't have a clear vision of where the Jets go in the first round...although I suspect this year the six picks will be defense heavy...you think Elmore is on their board mid to late if they go DE or NT or TE in round 1?

I'd feel more confident in Elmore being on their radar if they visited with him. The Jets LB visits are all first rounders and seventh rounders. They will either go LB very early or very late. I don't think they are targeting a mid round LB. I'd classify Elmore as such a player, along with bruce miller UCF and Chris Carter Fresno state.

I'd feel more confident in Elmore being on their radar if they visited with him. The Jets LB visits are all first rounders and seventh rounders. They will either go LB very early or very late. I don't think they are targeting a mid round LB. I'd classify Elmore as such a player, along with bruce miller UCF and Chris Carter Fresno state.

The first-round pick is always a visit. That's it. You can safely ignore it when projecting any other picks. The only one I can think of off the top of my head is Greene and from the sound of it he was somebody we were actually considering as the first-rounder anyway. And in any event we have brought in several mid-round linebackers this year, including Moch and Acho, and frankly I kind of think Reed is in this category also.

just want to bump this and say my final projection for the NYJ is martez wilson

how many other pro days did Rex go to?

Wilson as a 3-4 OLB? Think they'd want to bulk him up and let him loose at the QB with his physical tools, or are they looking for more versatility at the OLB spot? Seems like a bit of an odd fit in terms of what I've seen him do (more of an inside guy, typically considered an ILB so the 3-4 OLB would be an odd fit and it's certainly a major luxury pick if they like him inside) but he certainly has the frame and athleticism. Pretty big projection there though.

Wilson as a 3-4 OLB? Pretty big projection there though.

they played him alot outside at Ill. he's got a body more like a DE than a LB... he's like Ayers a big time player that played everywhere cause the defense sucked. If he went to Ohio State he'd be a true DE and another conversion prospect.

they played him alot outside at Ill. he's got a body more like a DE than a LB... he's like Ayers a big time player that played everywhere cause the defense sucked. If he went to Ohio State he'd be a true DE and another conversion prospect.

He's not as good as Ayers.

He's not as good as Ayers.

agreed. if both players were there, they'd take Ayers. I'd take Ayers too. Wilson is their backup plan if Ayers is gone (which he should be).

Wilson is a far better timed athlete than Ayers it should be noted.

Just weird to watch him play ILB and try to sift through blocks to get to the play on tape, looks alright coming off the edge but didn't really see him get blocked a lot from there when I watched so it's just tough to tell how he'll translate.

Thoughts on Tom Keiser later if they don't address the position early? Played some at both spots, really nice numbers at Stanford especially while he played end.

Archived