Soon To be a Star--Sione Pouha

flgreen

Soon to be stars: Sione Pouha

May, 6, 2011

May 6

1:01

PM ET

By Matt Williamson

Scouts Inc.’s Matt Williamson looks at AFC East players on the verge of a breakout in 2011.

Picking a budding star wasn’t easy with this team. The Jets have a very top-heavy roster that features some truly exceptional players who clearly already qualify as stars. But I don’t see a ton of young emerging talent. The 2011 draft could net two very valuable rookies in defensive end Muhammad Wilkerson, New York’s first-round pick, and Kenrick Ellis, another big body with a lot of ability who could project to nose tackle or defensive end in New York’s odd front. In time, coach Rex Ryan might makes stars of both players. He already has gotten a ton of production from the unheralded Mike DeVito at end.

Sione Pouha

Sione Pouha

#91 DT

New York Jets

But my choice for this story is starting nose tackle Sione Pouha, who really already established himself on the inside after Kris Jenkins once again was lost to injury early last season. But Pouha needs to be recognized as one of the better nose tackles in all of football. And slowly incorporating Ellis as Pouha’s backup could help the veteran maintain his stamina.

Pouha has the perfect build for the position and is extremely powerful with the ability to handle the double team and allow inside backers Bart Scott and David Harris to run more freely to the ball carrier. Pouha has only 2.5 career sacks, and that will never be his forte, but he now consistently makes everyone around him much better and is an extremely key cog in the Jets’ exceptional defense.

Scouts Inc. watches games, breaks down film and studies football from all angles for ESPN.com.

Pouha's alright, but the best way to use him is in a platoon or heavy rotation. At 32 he's no rising star, but he's a solid starting NT.

Agree. I think between DeVito, Pouha, hopefully Shaun Ellis, Wilkerson, rook Ellis, Pitouta, and all, our DL will be a star unit, with no actual stars on it.

Pouha may be 32 - but he's only got 5 seasons of wear. He started 2 years late due to his commitment to mission work and he sat all of 06 with an ACL. He's only 29 from a tread on the tire standpoint. We got real lucky here - he's a hell of a ball player with a lot left in the tank.

people mention pouha's age but i've never heard people say that a particular player was too old for NT

these guys play forever. they don't lose a step. they were never really that fast. It's not like 30 year old RBs usually get a little slower and their career is over. NT can be slow all game long they do a very specific job.

people mention pouha's age but i've never heard people say that a particular player was too old for NT

these guys play forever. they don't lose a step. they were never really that fast. It's not like 30 year old RBs usually get a little slower and their career is over. NT can be slow all game long they do a very specific job.

I agree. It's not like his game is predicated on explosion or collapsing the pocket either, he's a stout run stuffer and that really shouldn't suffer with age as long as his technique is still good. It'd be nice if Kenrick Ellis steps up and is the starter by merit, but if Pouha has to start (which is probable) i'm fine with it. He's a solid starter.

Don't know what the hell they mean about him becoming a star though. He's pretty much hit his ceiling as a player.

Pouha may be 32 - but he's only got 5 seasons of wear. He started 2 years late due to his commitment to mission work and he sat all of 06 with an ACL. He's only 29 from a tread on the tire standpoint. We got real lucky here - he's a hell of a ball player with a lot left in the tank.

I'm not sure if missing time due to injuries, and he was injured for a good portion of '05-'09, counts as saving tire tread.

Ted Washington played until he was 39. And nobody's knees carried more load than his.

I'm not sure if missing time due to injuries, and he was injured for a good portion of '05-'09, counts as saving tire tread.

Pouha, who was considered a "project" player,[4] was drafted by the New York Jets in the third round of the 2005 NFL Draft. Pouha would appear in fourteen games as a rookie, recording ten tackles and one pass defended.

Following his rookie season, Pouha suffered a torn ACL on the fourth day of training camp and was subsequently placed on the injured reserve list.[3]

Motivated following his ACL injury which sidelined him in 2006,[3][4] Pouha would play in all sixteen games during the season, starting one game. Pouha recorded 39 tackles and had one pass defended.

Pouha would once again appear in all of the team's sixteen matchups, recording 23 tackles, and would record his first half-sack of his career against the New England Patriots' Matt Cassel.

Pouha went into the 2009 season as the back-up defensive tackle. Six games into the season, the Jets would lose Pro Bowl starter Kris Jenkins who tore his ACL. The injury would thrust Pouha into the spotlight as he became the team's starting nose tackle, starting the team's next thirteen games. Pouha would achieve multiple career highs, starting a career-high fourteen games and making a career 61 tackles, 34 of which were solo. Pouha and fellow teammate Mike DeVito would help improve the rushing defense from twenty-first to fourth overall in the NFL.[5][6]

Pouha started the first game of the 2010 season alongside a returning Kris Jenkins. Six plays into the team's Monday night matchup against the Baltimore Ravens, Jenkins would once again tear his ACL.[7] Pouha, again, assumed Jenkins' role as nose tackle alongside teammatesMike DeVito and Howard Green.[7] Pouha is considered to be an excellent run-stopper and as the season progresses, the team would like to see Pouha more involved in pass-rushing and getting to the quarterback.

All that dope is taking it's toll Gato. Watch it or you'll have even less credibility (if imaginable) when it comes time for you to defend your hero sh*thammer again.

Agree. I think between DeVito, Pouha, hopefully Shaun Ellis, Wilkerson, rook Ellis, Pitouta, and all, our DL will be a star unit, with no actual stars on it.

This, essentially. If the guys in bold can play, the Jets defense is in for a huge year.

I'd love for Shaun Ellis to come back, and he might. I don't see him earning big dollars in free agency, and he seems like the kind of guy who'd want to stick with the Jets in case they break thru and get to the Super Bowl this year.

Pouha and the rookies can all play inside or out, and that should lead to a lot of creative fronts from the Jets this season. #27 could be right, in that DeVito could be a guy who's freed up to get some sacks this year.

You are now in league with Falcon as somebody using an ACL injury as a reason a guy should have a longer career! You poor bastard!

Slats may be right. If Devito breaks out it may be because these other guys are good. If they suck Devito will probably continue to toil by butting heads with 2 and 3 linemen on every down. If they are good he may be the one that is left alone to crush people.

You are now in league with Falcon as somebody using an ACL injury as a reason a guy should have a longer career! You poor bastard!

Jeez ... the guys back from the 3rd world for a couple weeks and already he's a comedian ...

As you know, broheim, I was pointing out that 2 years of Pouha's age adult age have zero football in them and a 3rd saw no wear and tear after 4 days into camp.

Bong Boy, speaking out of a lower orifice, maintains he's 32 and has been essentially injured thru out his tenure.

I'm thinking there's a lot left in the tank and that he's not topped out skill wise yet.

Pouha, who was considered a "project" player,[4] was drafted by the New York Jets in the third round of the 2005 NFL Draft. Pouha would appear in fourteen games as a rookie, recording ten tackles and one pass defended.

Following his rookie season, Pouha suffered a torn ACL on the fourth day of training camp and was subsequently placed on the injured reserve list.[3]

Motivated following his ACL injury which sidelined him in 2006,[3][4] Pouha would play in all sixteen games during the season, starting one game. Pouha recorded 39 tackles and had one pass defended.

Pouha would once again appear in all of the team's sixteen matchups, recording 23 tackles, and would record his first half-sack of his career against the New England Patriots' Matt Cassel.

Pouha went into the 2009 season as the back-up defensive tackle. Six games into the season, the Jets would lose Pro Bowl starter Kris Jenkins who tore his ACL. The injury would thrust Pouha into the spotlight as he became the team's starting nose tackle, starting the team's next thirteen games. Pouha would achieve multiple career highs, starting a career-high fourteen games and making a career 61 tackles, 34 of which were solo. Pouha and fellow teammate Mike DeVito would help improve the rushing defense from twenty-first to fourth overall in the NFL.[5][6]

Pouha started the first game of the 2010 season alongside a returning Kris Jenkins. Six plays into the team's Monday night matchup against the Baltimore Ravens, Jenkins would once again tear his ACL.[7] Pouha, again, assumed Jenkins' role as nose tackle alongside teammatesMike DeVito and Howard Green.[7] Pouha is considered to be an excellent run-stopper and as the season progresses, the team would like to see Pouha more involved in pass-rushing and getting to the quarterback.

All that dope is taking it's toll Gato. Watch it or you'll have even less credibility (if imaginable) when it comes time for you to defend your hero sh*thammer again.

Holy crap look at this. I guess my impressions of Pouha were a bit off.

And ooooh noooooooo....no you diiiiiiiiiiiiidddddnt.....I'm LOSING MORE CREDIBILITY (IF IMAGINABLE)????!?!?!?! OOOOOH NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

Still don't see him as a rising star. Even if you want to give that a 32 year old 320 pounder with a pretty decent injury history has another 5 years, and I will because it's probably true, he's not going to get much better. He is what he is at this point, and that's a solid run stuffer...not even the best one on the DL (sans the rookies)...that would be DeVito.

I still think the best play we'll see from the DL this season is if the rookies step up and can make it a K. Ellis - DeVito - Wilkerson DL. Or Wilkerson - Ellis - DeVito...either one. I think DeVito is more talented than Pouha amongst the holdovers, and the two combinations above offer the chance at more pass rush. Pouha will make an excellent 4th DL in this scenario, which really hinges on these rookies.

Holy crap look at this. I guess my impressions of Pouha were a bit off.

And ooooh noooooooo....no you diiiiiiiiiiiiidddddnt.....I'm LOSING MORE CREDIBILITY (IF IMAGINABLE)????!?!?!?! OOOOOH NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

Still don't see him as a rising star. Even if you want to give that a 32 year old 320 pounder with a pretty decent injury history has another 5 years, and I will because it's probably true, he's not going to get much better. He is what he is at this point, and that's a solid run stuffer...not even the best one on the DL (sans the rookies)...that would be DeVito.

I still think the best play we'll see from the DL this season is if the rookies step up and can make it a K. Ellis - DeVito - Wilkerson DL. Or Wilkerson - Ellis - DeVito...either one. I think DeVito is more talented than Pouha amongst the holdovers, and the two combinations above offer the chance at more pass rush. Pouha will make an excellent 4th DL in this scenario, which really hinges on these rookies.

we talk about talent but it's defined in many ways. Pouha and Devito are battle tested. Wilkerson has more upside than everyone there but he's not tested.

If the Jets are fortunate 1 of the S. Ellis, Jenks, Pryce trio returns...my money is on none of them returning. Pouha and Devito are the vets now.

we talk about talent but it's defined in many ways. Pouha and Devito are battle tested. Wilkerson has more upside than everyone there but he's not tested.

If the Jets are fortunate 1 of the S. Ellis, Jenks, Pryce trio returns...my money is on none of them returning. Pouha and Devito are the vets now.

Agree Bit

Nome of your three are coming back. Ellis, who I love, won’t be back. He asked for an extension. The Jets declined. He’s offended, and the Jets have high hopes for his replacement.

Jenkins won’t be back. What a shame. Jenkins just might be the best NT in the NFL. Guy won’t train, and can’t stay healthy. Hate to say it. Gone

Pryce? Eh. Not impressed. Think there are a few better DE’s on the team better.

Your right though. Devito, and Pouha are the vets. Think it’s a pretty good place to start. Both good players.

The encouraging thing is, IMO, some of the guys behind them, though unproven, have a super high upside.

Archived