Did the players association make a mistake in choosing the players named on their lawsuit?

AFJF

Will it hurt in court when multi-millionaires like Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, and Drew Brees talk about how the lockout is having an impact on their ability to make a living? Wouldn't it have been a better idea to use some specaial teamers and fringe guys to plead their case about how they're not all millionaires and it would realistically hurt their lifestyle on a much larger scale? What's more important, impressing the judges with big names or proving their case?

Thats not really the argument they are making.

"They allege that the NFL conspired to deny the players' ability to market their services in what is a $9 billion business. They spelled out what they called a long history of NFL antitrust violations, citing as constraints the potential lockout, rookie salary limitations and the franchise and transition player designations. Teams use those designations to keep key free agents off the open market, but the players also are well compensated when they sign new contracts.

Tom Condon, who represents Manning and Brees, wrote in a statement submitted to the court that a "'lockout' imposed by the NFL threatens to rob Mr. Brees and Mr. Manning, and all other NFL players, of an entire year, or more, of their brief playing careers, which cannot be recaptured."

"This is especially problematic because of the virtually constant need for NFL players to prove their skill and value on the playing field," wrote Condon, one of more than a half-dozen agents who offered statements supporting their clients. "Missing a year or more of playing in the NFL can cause the skills of NFL players to become rusty from lack of competition, making it difficult for them to regain the full talents they exhibited prior to the absence from play. This could shorten or even end the careers of NFL players."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81eb9269/article/ten-players-named-as-plaintiffs-in-antitrust-lawsuit-vs-nfl

Had this turned into a public fight over economics then I do think the choice of the highest paid players is a mistake. No fan is going to sympathize with Tom Brady making 80 million over the next 4 years as being in a position of hardship where he cant afford health insurance, pay child support, etc...over a lockout.

From a legal standpoint they probably made a few mistakes with some of the plaintiffs. The union made arguments about missing workouts doing harm to the players, but at least two of them never showed for workouts anyway. Players like Brady have "lockout protection" in the way their contracts were written in that they would still get payments during a lockout. The players have also done a poor job in keeping their players quiet by saying things like they wish there were lockouts every year, how they are still a union, just not in name, etc....

But overall I do think they would have been better off getting guys like Mike DeVito and SIone Pouha to represent the players. This lockout does harm them much more significantly than others. DeVito has likely lost out on 15% of his compensation this year. Thats significant.

Had this turned into a public fight over economics then I do think the choice of the highest paid players is a mistake. No fan is going to sympathize with Tom Brady making 80 million over the next 4 years as being in a position of hardship where he cant afford health insurance, pay child support, etc...over a lockout.

From a legal standpoint they probably made a few mistakes with some of the plaintiffs. The union made arguments about missing workouts doing harm to the players, but at least two of them never showed for workouts anyway. Players like Brady have "lockout protection" in the way their contracts were written in that they would still get payments during a lockout. The players have also done a poor job in keeping their players quiet by saying things like they wish there were lockouts every year, how they are still a union, just not in name, etc....

But overall I do think they would have been better off getting guys like Mike DeVito and SIone Pouha to represent the players. This lockout does harm them much more significantly than others. DeVito has likely lost out on 15% of his compensation this year. Thats significant.

Don't forget guys like Slauson either. He moved out of his place and into his parents with his wife and kid and I thought he lived in some little ranch house.

This won't be won or lost in the courts. The players already have a resounding victory in terms of public opinion. Brady, Manning, Brees are out front to make sure the players stay unified--no idiot DB is going to challenge the faces of the league. Also, when Jerry Richardson looks across the table at them, he's not only looking at the best players, but also the most universally marketable. Those three QBs alone are probably worth a billion in merch and ticket/tv revenue.

Don't forget guys like Slauson either. He moved out of his place and into his parents with his wife and kid and I thought he lived in some little ranch house.

This is the sort of argument by the players that bugs the living sheet out of me! Slauson made over 400K last year. I know people that made less, that have been laid off and survived while trying to land another gig. They managed to make ends meet, pay the mortage, make COBRA payments, etc. When someone that made over $400k last season (and stand to make about $550k this season if there is one) complains it's just falls on deaf ears with me. I know people far worse off than Mr. Slauson.

This is the sort of argument by the players that bugs the living sheet out of me! Slauson made over 400K last year. I know people that made less, that have been laid off and survived while trying to land another gig. They managed to make ends meet, pay the mortage, make COBRA payments, etc. When someone that made over $400k last season (and stand to make about $550k this season if there is one) complains it's just falls on deaf ears with me. I know people far worse off than Mr. Slauson.

Hey, his Road Warrior Hawk facepaint isn't free, you know.

Take that 400K, and divide it in half (taxes). Now include a downpayment on a decent sized house in NY, mortgage payments, and regular expenses. You can live very nicely on annual salaries of 400K - but getting that money for 1 or 2 years isn't exactly going to set you up for life.

I know people who live on less than $20k. Doesn't mean my uncle won't be in trouble if he gets laid off from his $50k job.

Take that 400K, and divide it in half (taxes). Now include a downpayment on a decent sized house in NY, mortgage payments, and regular expenses. You can live very nicely on annual salaries of 400K - but getting that money for 1 or 2 years isn't exactly going to set you up for life.

I'm not saying it is. In the Boston area a three bedroom ranch in a nice neighborghood will cost you $500K at least. I'm not saying you will live nicely - but you will live well enough to take care of the necessities (housing, car, utilities, etc.) and not go hungry. Sure, vacation is out of the question if your are living on last years salary of 400K...and moving in with your parents may be a sound idea if saving your pennies is paramount, but enough with the "woe is me" stuff. I have seen plenty of people get hit harder by this economy and make ends meet - some by the skin of their teeth. I just find it super hard to pity anyone making that kind of cash. The dude making 80K? Sure. Slauson? No. Brady, Brees and Manning? Definitely not.

I know people who live on less than $20k. Doesn't mean my uncle won't be in trouble if he gets laid off from his $50k job.

people say Matt Slauson makes 400K and isn't that great for him... the dude has to engage in hand to hand battle with meanies like Kris Jenkins on a daily basis... he has to fight Ray Lewis on national TV.. oh and if it all goes well for him he might not have dementia when he's 50.

the players earn every cent they make... it's hazard pay.

I'm not saying it is. In the Boston area a three bedroom ranch in a nice neighborghood will cost you $500K at least. I'm not saying you will live nicely - but you will live well enough to take care of the necessities (housing, car, utilities, etc.) and not go hungry. Sure, vacation is out of the question...and moving in with your parents may be a sound idea if saving your pennies is paramount, but enough with the "woe is me" stuff. I have seen plenty of people get hit harder by this economy and make ends meet - some by the skin of their teeth.

To be fair, the players haven't even tried to sell the "feeding my family" line which is funny because, in turn, it makes the owners look that much more foolish for using the "we're secretly impoverished despite gouging all you fans for the last twenty years" argument.

To be fair, the players haven't even tried to sell the "feeding my family" line which is funny because, in turn, it makes the owners look that much more foolish for using the "we're secretly impoverished despite gouging all you fans for the last twenty years" argument.

If you were still on twitter you would see some stupid tweets by some athletes. Plus, the media will take a story and run with it....

And why do you always inject the owners? What does this have to do with the owners? The owners are leech-pig-dooshies. Granted.

people say Matt Slauson makes 400K and isn't that great for him... the dude has to engage in hand to hand battle with meanies like Kris Jenkins on a daily basis... he has to fight Ray Lewis on national TV.. oh and if it all goes well for him he might not have dementia when he's 50.

I understand the risks Mr. Slauson takes. I think he should get healthcare taken care of for the rest of his life by the NFL. That said, he chose this profession. He could always have taken his Nebraska University Sociology Degree (which was free because he could play football) and become and insurance sales person, Beverage manager at Applebee's or Fund Accountant at Acme Invesments.

If you were still on twitter you would see some stupid tweets by some athletes.

The Cromarties get shouted down quickly because it's Brady and Manning at the top of this. If you had low-rung players at the table, they would have been steam-rolled already by the "OMG I need to pay for this Ferrari so let's sign the contract" faction, imo.

And why do you always inject the owners? What does this have to do with the owners? The owners are leech-pig-dooshies. Granted.

karl-marx-hip.jpg

Was just at the bar talking to this old dude who does well-drilling for a living. He's already had two artifical knees put in and he has a shoulder that doesn't rotate enough to let him take his own shirt off. The reason he's still working? He has to pay off the knee surgeries so he doesn't lose his house. I have only similar sympathies for players as far as joint conditions go. The concussions are a different matter, of course, but I'm not weeping over the fact that Slauson might be trading his knees for lifetime earnings of a mil plus.

Was just at the bar talking to this old dude who does well-drilling for a living. He's already had two artifical knees put in and he has a shoulder that doesn't rotate enough to let him take his own shirt off. The reason he's still working? He has to pay off the knee surgeries so he doesn't lose his house. I have only similar sympathies for players as far as joint conditions go. The concussions are a different matter, of course, but I'm not weeping over the fact that Slauson might be trading his knees for lifetime earnings of a mil plus.

Future Falcon?

they can replace knees

they can't replace brains

Football is a very violent sport, but I can’t help wondering what the ratio is between devastating injuries suffered by workers who built that stadium, and can’t afford to buy PSL’s, to the players that play in it.

The players ar grown men who decide to play the game for what they are paid. They know the risks. If they decide the risks are worth it, then they don't really have any right to complain. Honestly, I'm surprised we don't see more players walk away from the game after 6-7 years with a nice nest egg and bright future.

Don't get me wrong here as I'm on the players side but.................

Why would Slauson buy a house in NY as he could be cut/traded at anytime. Unless athletes are making millions they generally rent during the season and then go back to their real homes during the offseason.

I would take $400K a year in a heartbeat.

Wouldn't New Jersey get the taxes from Jets and Giants players?

The players ar grown men who decide to play the game for what they are paid. They know the risks. If they decide the risks are worth it, then they don't really have any right to complain. Honestly, I'm surprised we don't see more players walk away from the game after 6-7 years with a nice nest egg and bright future.

Kind of baffling isn’t it. Particularly players who were 1st round picks, and have fulfilled 20-40 million dollar contracts. Along the way they have had several concussions, which they know is going to damage their brain if they continue. Or players that have earned a lot of money, and received injuries that they know are going to leave them in pain the rest of their lives when they get injured again.

Could be the love of the game

The love of money

Or the love of themselves being special, as they have probably been since they were in grade school

Or all of the above

Kind of baffling isn’t it. Particularly players who were 1st round picks, and have fulfilled 20-40 million dollar contracts. Along the way they have had several concussions, which they know is going to damage their brain if they continue. Or players that have earned a lot of money, and received injuries that they know are going to leave them in pain the rest of their lives when they get injured again.

Could be the love of the game

The love of money

Or the love of themselves being special, as they have probably been since they were in grade school

Or all of the above

Its all of the above. I couldn't imagine being placed on a pedestal in HS, then College and then the Pros. A lot of these guys love it and put their bodies through hell to live that. Unfortunately a lot of them have no clue how to deal with their huge paycheques.

Its all of the above. I couldn't imagine being placed on a pedestal in HS, then College and then the Pros. A lot of these guys love it and put their bodies through hell to live that. Unfortunately a lot of them have no clue how to deal with their huge paycheques.

Isn't that why they created the rookie symposium? Considering you have players coming from all different kinds of lifestyles, such events as a symposium would probably be helpful. Although I'm sure a lot of the players don't care to learn how to invest their money or save it.

Isn't that why they created the rookie symposium? Considering you have players coming from all different kinds of lifestyles, such events as a symposium would probably be helpful. Although I'm sure a lot of the players don't care to learn how to invest their money or save it.

Do you think that 99% of rookies sitting through the symposium give a crap? I don't.

Archived