Cimini: Woody #10 Owner in ESPN Poll

flgreen

Woody Johnson, No. 10 owner in ESPN poll

May, 10, 2011

May 10

2:38

PM ET

By Rich Cimini

Is Woody Johnson a top-10 owner? Yes, according to the ESPN power rankings, released Tuesday. In fact, he's No. 10, based on a poll of ESPN's NFL writers and bloggers.

Is Johnson worthy? The feeling here is yes.

He's in the winning business and, in 11 seasons as the Jets' owner, Johnson has presided over a consistent winner -- six playoff appearances and eight winning seasons. Two of the three losing seasons came when they suffered major injuries at quarterback (2003 and 2005).

For the most part, Johnson supplies his football czars with the resources needed to be active in the free agency and trade markets. He made a brilliant move by dumping Eric Mangini and hiring Rex Ryan, who, in addition to being a very good coach, has helped raise the profile of the organization.

Johnson also built a state-of-the-art practice facility for his team and didn't blink when Ryan said he preferred to having training camp at an off-site location (Cortland, N.Y.) instead of Florham Park. Johnson also was instrumental in convincing his fellow owners into bringing the Super Bowl to New York/New Jersey in 2014.

No, he's not the perfect owner. A good chunk of the fan base is upset with the steep PSL prices (but the Giants have them, too) and there are diehard, New York-based fans that wanted him to build in Queens instead of co-owning in New Jersey with the Giants. It also didn't help his image when it was reported recently that Jets coaches and everybody in the football operation had to take a 25-percent pay cut during the lockout. (The Giants, by contrast, announced no immediate pay cuts.) The money will be recouped if no games are lost, but it's still money out of pocket and there are no guarantees.

That said, it's a bottom-line business, and Johnson has built a winning organization that has emerged as a force in the NFL marketplace. (See five prime-time games in 2011.) That's why he deserves his top-10 ranking. What do you think? Does he belong? Is he over-rated?

Here is the ESPN top 10:

1. Rooney Family, Pittsburgh Steelers

2. Robert Kraft, New England Patriots

3. Packers Executive Committee

4. Mara/Tisch, New York Giants

5. Jeffrey Lurie, Philadelphia Eagles

6. Steve Bisciotti, Baltimore Ravens

7. Jim Irsay, Indianapolis Colts

8. Jerry Jones, Dallas Cowboys

9. Arthur Blank, Atlanta Falcons

10. Woody Johnson, New York Jets

When it comes to stability, titles, and fostering a customer-centric franchise environment, I don't see how anyone could keep Woody off this list.

BTW:

1. Rooney family, Pittsburgh Steelers

2. Robert Kraft, New England Patriots

3. Packers' executive committee

4. Mara/Tisch, New York Giants

5. Jeffrey Lurie, Philadelphia Eagles

6. Steve Bisciotti, Baltimore Ravens

7. Jim Irsay, Indianapolis Colts

8. Jerry Jones, Dallas Cowboys

9. Arthur Blank, Atlanta Falcons

10. Woody Johnson, New York Jets

So why is Jerry Jones up there? His interference and choice of coaches

Woody has not been cheap in bringing in players and putting up some money for a new stadium but gets failing marks for ticket holders

When it comes to stability, titles, and fostering a customer-centric franchise environment, I don't see how anyone could keep Woody off this list.

Plus there are fireplaces in the luxury boxes. FIREPLACES! That's solid ownership right there.

So why is Jerry Jones up there? His interference and choice of coaches

Woody has not been cheap in bringing in players and putting up some money for a new stadium but gets failing marks for ticket holders

He took advantage of low construction costs in Texas and built a superior stadium for less than it cost Woody to build our piece of junk?

He took advantage of low construction costs in Texas and built a superior stadium for less than it cost Woody to build our piece of junk?

What's funny is that the Maras get all the way to #4 and get none of the blame for building that piece of crap. One of the great Houdini acts of our time.

What's funny is that the Maras get all the way to #4 and get none of the blame for building that piece of crap. One of the great Houdini acts of our time.

That's because it's still Giants Stadium, and Woody signed on to be second-fiddle for another generation.

I think it's likely that I'll never set foot in that building.

That's because it's still Giants Stadium, and Woody signed on to be second-fiddle for another generation.

When I went there, I wasn't sure whether to laugh or cry at what it looked like. Zero concern paid to the average fan. The field itself is pretty and there are working fireplaces in luxury suites, which I hear are nice. Otherwise, sh*thole.

Well check out the PSL's they asked for in dallas and still say he treated the fan base good.

Call me a homer but Kraft should be #1. As much as I don't like the guy he has made the Patriots the most successful team in the NFL. If I'm not mistaken the Pats have won more AFCE Division titles than the Jets, Phins and Bill combined since he bought the team. Not to mention the AFC Championship and Super Bowl appearances.

Flame away!

BTW: F the Steelers!

Call me a homer but Kraft should be #1. As much as I don't like the guy he has made the Patriots the most successful team in the NFL. If I'm not mistaken the Pats have won more AFCE Division titles than the Jets, Phins and Bill combined since he bought the team. Not to mention the AFC Championship and Super Bowl appearances.

Flame away!

Are you secretly Peter King?

Woody was widely considered below average just a couple years ago... that's what winning adds to the evaluation process.

my bottom 10 owners

32. Wayne Weaver, Jaguars

31. Mike Brown, Bengals

30. Randy Lerner, Browns

29. Dan Snyder, Redskins

28. Ralph Wilson, Bills

27. The Fords, Lions

26. Al Davis, Raiders

25. Michael Bidwell, Cardinals

24. Denise Debartolo-York, Niners

23. Michael McCaskey, Bears

just missed the cut:

Tom Benson, Saints

Bud Adams, Titans

their teams usually win but both act rather crassly in public.

Woody was widely considered below average just a couple years ago... that's what winning adds to the evaluation process.

my bottom 10 owners

31. Mike Brown, Bengals

30. Randy Lerner, Browns

29. Dan Snyder, Redskins

28. Ralph Wilson, Bills

27. The Fords, Lions

26. Al Davis, Raiders

just missed the cut:

Tom Benson, Saints

Bud Adams, Titans

I would go with Brown and Wilson as the worst owners in the NFL with an honorable mention to Snyder. Brown and Wilson cry poor as they make money hand over fist.

Flame away!

The Rooneys and Maras will always get the benefit of the doubt because their families essentially salvaged the NFL. Kraft might get a knock because I believe the Pats are still far and away the most expensive game-day experience in the league.

Also consider the four guys who voted for him on that poll: Tim Graham, Paul Kuharsky, Mike Sando, Bill Williamson--all youngish ESPNitwits. It'd be interesting to see who the Top Ten would be if the panel was Mort, Glazer, Schefter, Clayton and Gary Myers, who are all connected within the league far more than godforsaken Tim Graham who writes articles that make it look like he doesn't even have a press pass.

my bottom 10 owners

31. Mike Brown, Bengals

30. Randy Lerner, Browns

29. Dan Snyder, Redskins

28. Ralph Wilson, Bills

27. The Fords, Lions

26. Al Davis, Raiders

just missed the cut:

Tom Benson, Saints

Bud Adams, Titans

Solid list, but I think Ralph Wilson gets a bit of a raw deal there. He's stayed in sh*thole Buffalo even when he had chances to move out to LA and St. Louis long ago. It's only recently that he's lost it, in much the same way that Al Davis has lost it.

Flame away!

Homer

The Pats ticket prices are expensive because Kraft built the Stadium on his own dime with no PSL's. The Jets/Giants will surpass the Pats in a couple of years in ticket prices.

88 year old Ralphy loves his money. His Stadium has been payed off for decades.

And then proceeded to charge prices which make Jets tickets seem like a bargain. Not to mention those wonderful standing room only tickets. I think Jerry Jones would beat up old ladies for their social security checks. Not that I am defending Woody. While he has invested in the team, no doubt, he has squeezed the ticketholders big time, raising prices almost every year since he bought the team.

On the bright side, the lease is up in another 98 years and I'm pretty sure we will get our own stadium at that point.

Archived