Why LA is not getting an NFL team

Bugg

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its not even on the same planet in Texas/South Carolina as football is.

Of course not, and I wasn't arguing that. You said soccer isn't even an option in the south. That is a completely false statement. Not everyone in the south is born and bred with a football body.

Of course not, and I wasn't arguing that. You said soccer isn't even an option in the south. That is a completely false statement. Not everyone in the south is born and bred with a football body.

I'm not sure what you mean there....but the plus athletes in the south are choosing football 9 times out of 10 regardless of body type.

I'm not sure what you mean there....but the plus athletes in the south are choosing football 9 times out of 10 regardless of body type.

My point is that they won't stick with it if they don't have the skill set to play the game. Soccer allows for athletes with smaller frames to play and be successful.

And again, your point is irrelevant. Soccer can still thrive even if "9 out of 10" kids choose to play football first. Lots of kids choose to play little league baseball first. That doesn't mean they won't later choose lacrosse.

My point is that they won't stick with it if they don't have the skill set to play the game. Soccer allows for athletes with smaller frames to play and be successful.

And again, your point is irrelevant. Soccer can still thrive even if "9 out of 10" kids choose to play football first. Lots of kids choose to play little league baseball first. That doesn't mean they won't later choose lacrosse.

It's not irrelevant...everyone plays soccer first. But with the popularity of football- kids gravitate towards it.

Football is the most popular sport in this country and until that isn't the case...soccer will never get the premier athletes it needs to compete on the international level. Not to mention, the coaching here is also sub par. The variety of options kids have here hurts our chances of ever being a real threat.

we can talk about the pros and cons of LA all day long but bottom line... it's way more suited to an NFL team than Minny, Buffalo or Jacksonville. Hollywood is a multi-billion dollar industry, those other places barely have economy.

we can talk about the pros and cons of LA all day long but bottom line... it's way more suited to an NFL team than Minny, Buffalo or Jacksonville. Hollywood is a multi-billion dollar industry, those other places barely have economy.

Buffalo, Jacksonville, Minny all drew when they were winning and when tickets weren't 100+ per seat. Buffalo still drew when they sucked and tickets were $50. sh*t, the Jets still couldn't fill the house last year and they were on a Super Bowl run. Bottom line, regardless of market, too many owners have alienated large parts of their fanbases and are reaping what they've sown. If it's any consolation to them, their luxury-box fireplaces sure are spiffy.

Buffalo, Jacksonville, Minny all drew when they were winning and when tickets weren't 100+ per seat. Buffalo still drew when they sucked and tickets were $50. sh*t, the Jets still couldn't fill the house last year and they were on a Super Bowl run. Bottom line, regardless of market, too many owners have alienated large parts of their fanbases and are reaping what they've sown. If it's any consolation to them, their luxury-box fireplaces sure are spiffy.

Soooooo, it's not the Mexicans' fault?

Soccer directly competes with football at a young level. Kids obviously play soccer first...but a lot choose football over it. And down south, soccer isn't even an option really.

Some kids are too small to play football. It seems they would excel in soccer though.

It's not irrelevant...everyone plays soccer first. But with the popularity of football- kids gravitate towards it.

Football is the most popular sport in this country and until that isn't the case...soccer will never get the premier athletes it needs to compete on the international level. Not to mention, the coaching here is also sub par. The variety of options kids have here hurts our chances of ever being a real threat.

While I think you over state youth sports in the South, I totally agree with you on this.

I believe what Tommy Smith (English/Irish Dude on ESPN) said when he was interviewed on Colin Cowherd recently is accurate. Soccer is not cheap sport and that is the biggest problem for U.S. soccer. Kids migrate to other sports or away from it.

The other problem is our development structure. A talented 16yo in England is signed by a larger club like Manchester United and is trained at their facilities and practices against the best in the world. Our equally talented 16yo might play on a club team aginst his peers. May go to college and play against his peers. Or maybe they sign with MLS and play against decent talent. By the time they are entering their prime, you have an English player that has been playing against top talent for 6 year and the U.S. player playing againest far inferior talent.

not only will companies buy them... they will write them off on their tax returns

Which was my point - no one else can afford the PSL or Stadium boxes but the entertainment industry in Los Angeles.

Matt, San Diego could not sell out due to the environment of their population (Military). LA can!

Tom, Buffalo was sold out until last year due to economics & the changes in border issues. You have to remember that prior to the fall of 2009 - You did not need a passport to go to a local football game!

That & the economy in the Buffalo/Niagara region has slumped.

Plus, this is getting bad when I am in total agreement with Bitonti!

Archived