Todd Heap anyone?

madmikeisback

With the NFL lockout over, the Baltimore Ravens have begun to clean house.

Sources told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter on Monday the team has told wide receiver Derrick Mason, running back Willis McGahee and tight end Todd Heap they will be released when the league calendar permits it.

NFL Transactions Analysis

The free-agent signings and trades will come fast and furious now that the lockout is over. ESPN.com's division bloggers will react to all the big moves throughout this frenzied period. Blog

Defensive tackle Kelly Gregg will also be cut, according to multiple media reports.

Mason was the most productive of the veteran foursome last season. The 15-year veteran caught 61 passes for 802 yards and seven touchdowns last year. Mason's production dropped in the first season since Baltimore added Pro Bowl wideout Anquan Boldin last offseason.

Mason signed with the Ravens in 2005 after nine seasons with the Tennessee Titans. Despite playing in a run-oriented offense for much of his six seasons in Baltimore, Mason accumulated four seasons with at least 1,000 receiving yards.

McGahee played in 15 games last season, but had a career-low 100 rushing attempts for 300 yards. The 29-year old Miami product saw his rushing touchdowns drop from 12 to five as Ray Rice continued to take a majority of the Ravens' carries.

Heap, a two-time Pro Bowler, caught five touchdowns amid 40 receptions and 599 yards last season. He played in just 13 games, however, after suffering a hamstring injury against the Steelers in December.

The Ravens drafted Heap with the 31st overall pick in 2001 out of Arizona State. He has caught 41 touchdowns over 10 seasons with Baltimore.

Baltimore fullback Le'Ron McClain is also scheduled to be free agent.

With the lockout over, the league has set a 4 p.m. ET deadline on Thursday for players to be cut or waived.

I would love to get/sign Gregg. Wait for Osi to get cut and sign him. Sign Plax. Sign/reneg Harris long term, reneg Sanchez's contract and cut BT.

Resign Edwards, Hunter, Turner, Pool, Ihedigbo.

Would love to sign Holmes but not for the king's ransom he'll want. Wildcard being Wilson can step up into Cro's vacancy. Bye Brad Smith.

Man, I would to have Gregg on this team.

Since Rex came I have been spouting that they should take a look at Kelly Gregg if he were cut loose. I think Gregg was recovering from the microfracture surgery when Ryan first took over. This is the first year that I don't think it's likely. They have Pouha, MTV and Kenrick Ellis. I'm not sure they are able to carry another DT, especially with all the other big bodies that are almost locks to make the team. Gregg is something to consider, but I doubt they are going to want to spend much on a strength with all the question marks on the roster.

Archived