Some tweets from The Hanger

flgreen

• Replies 887
  • Created
  • Last Reply

rodboone (Beat Writer / Columnist) RT @ProFootballTalk: Bucs aren't, weren't, chasing Nnadmi profootballtalk.nbcsports.com

3 minutes ago by Rod Boone,

if this is true the only ones left are the Jets and 9ers. The 9ersreleased their starting CB today. Clements.

Sounds like they are going all in

Niners cut CB Clements, making run at Asomugha

PRINT EMAIL FACEBOOK DIGG

RSS SHARE

Decrease font

Enlarge font

NFL Team Page

SANTA CLARA, Calif. (AP) -- Four years ago, the San Francisco 49ers landed the most coveted free agent cornerback on the market. Now they've cut that player in hopes of luring another.

The 49ers released top cornerback Nate Clements on Thursday, clearing salary cap space while also leaving the secondary even more short-handed in the interim.

The 10-year veteran started every game for the Niners during a disappointing 6-10 campaign last season. He returned in 2010 after missing the final nine games in 2009, when he broke his right shoulder blade in San Francisco's 18-14 loss at Indianapolis on Nov. 1 that year.

Parting ways with Clements gives San Francisco flexibility to sign another high-priced free agent.

The player sure to get the most attention from fans in the Bay Area is Pro Bowl cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha, who spent his first eight seasons across the bay with the Oakland Raiders. Asomugha signed a $43.5 million, three-year deal with the Raiders following the 2008 season but the deal voided itself out because he didn't reach certain performance targets.

The 49ers, New York Jets and Houston Texans have naturally been mentioned among potential suitors because of the salary cap space and the need for another cornerback. Asomugha is one of the most sought-after free agents on the market, a tag that was once reserved for Clements.

San Francisco was eager to see more big plays from Clements last season after giving him an $80 million, eight-year contract in March 2007. The former first-round pick by Buffalo was among the most prized players available in free agency that year and often matched up with top opposing receivers.

Clements finished with 82 tackles, one sack, three forced fumbles and three interceptions last season. He also had a major gaffe that led to San Francisco's fourth straight loss to start the year, fumbling after making a key interception late in a 16-14 loss to Atlanta.

Calls to Clements and his agent were not immediately returned. After being released from the 49ers ahead of Friday's first training camp practice, Clements thanked the franchise in a tweet "for giving me the opportunity to play for a team with history and tradition."

Copyright 2011 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/football/nfl/07/28/nate.clements.ap/index.html#ixzz1TSi9dmgE

Day 3 recap: Lose 1, wait for Nnamdi

July, 29, 2011

JUL 29

12:54

AM ET

EmailPrintComments

By Rich Cimini

If Bart (Can't Wait) Scott were the Jets' GM, he would've gone stir crazy Thursday because ... well, there was a lot of waiting.

The day in review:

• As of midnight, the Jets still were waiting for a decision from free-agent CB Nnamdi Asomugha, who is taking his sweet time. The Jets are in an excellent position to land Asomugha. One of their competitors, the Texans, dropped out after agreeing to a five-year deal with former Bengals CB Johnathan Joseph.

That leaves the Bucs and 49ers as his other primary suitors. The Bucs have the most cap room, but they just gave OL Davin Joseph a seven-year, $53 million deal and many wonder if the frugal Bucs will cough up big bucks for Asomugha. The Niners' advantage is location; Asomugha has spent his adult life in the Bay Area (Cal, Raiders).

Prediction: The Jets will wrap up an Asomugha deal Friday. If they lose him, they'll try to re-sign Antonio Cromartie, who could become the most expensive consolation prize in free-agent history.

• The Jets suffered their first significant free-agent defection, losing WR/KR Brad Smith to the Bills. A strange choice, indeed, by Smith. Sources say he informed the Jets of his desire to return, but he was told they couldn't make an offer because they were in the Nnamdi holding pattern. Smith will sign a five-year, $14 million contract.

• We're only three days into free agency, but the Jets are a weaker team than a few days ago. They've retained WR Santonio Holmes, RT Wayne Hunter and PK Nick Folk, but lost Smith.

• Meanwhile, up in New England, the rival Patriots added two intriguing names -- DT Albert Haynesworth and WR Chad Ochocinco. For a change, the Patriots -- not the Jets -- made the off-season headlines. That's usually a Jets specialty, but that will change if they secure Asomugha.

• The Jets have reached out to the agents of their draft picks, and the deals will start to trickle in. Don't expect first-round pick Muhammad Wilkerson to get done until over the weekend. Players report to training camp on Sunday.

RichCimini Rich Cimini

Day 4 preview: It's Nnamdi time: This could be a momentous day for the Jets. Here's why: • They could get a

Day 4 preview: It's Nnamdi time

July, 29, 2011

JUL 29

6:00

AM ET

EmailPrintComments

By Rich Cimini

This could be a momentous day for the Jets. Here's why:

• They could get a "yes" from former Raiders CB Nnamdi Asomugha, the most coveted free agent of them all. It may take $12 million a year, but the Jets are in the thick of it. Come 6 p.m., teams can start signing their free-agent acquisitions. The Jets will announce the Santonio Holmes re-signing and -- they hope -- the Asomugha arrival. The Niners and Bucs might have something to say about that.

• If the Jets lose Asomugha, they will react quickly and try to re-sign Antonio Cromartie ASAP. If they were to lose Cromartie, they'd be wiping egg off their faces.

• This could be a key day for WR Braylon Edwards. He has been in discussions with the Vikings, and they might be ready to move on a receiver.

ukjets UK Jets

Gang Green Nation: Brad Smith Has Kind Things to Say About New York Jets http://sbn.to/qQbekO

Brad Smith was pure class in talking about his former team with Michael Kay yesterday.

If it’s in any way tough for him to say goodbye to the Jets, the organization that drafted him in the fourth round of the ’06 Draft:

"Oh man, it is. It’s extremely bitter-sweet. I’m extremely excited about joining the Bills and their organization and their fans and Coach Gailey is a very stand-up guy and the Bills gave me a great opportunity, but at the same time the Jets have been so great to me. The fans, I just enjoy being here. Unfortunately it didn’t work out, but we’ll get to see each other two times a year."

And we enjoyed having you.

Brad also talked about how he thought Nnamdi Asomugha affected his status.

Did they show any interest in trying to re-sign him?

"Yeah, they definitely showed interest, but when it came down to actually making a hard offer, it was very difficult with the situation they’re in, all being contingent on other guys, if they could get other guys. So it was a very tough situation for them and for us, but I wish them the best."

I know people are making a big deal out of this, but is it really a big deal? Does anybody think Smith was ever going to be a priority? I mean would the Jets have really allowed Smith to walk away without an offer if the Jets really wanted to keep him? All offseason we have heard that Brad was low on the priority list. If Smith was willing to take a big discount, I am sure the team would have been interested. I think people are off, though, when they say this is a sign Nnamdi Asomugha is costing the team. It is more of a case that Smith just was not a priority

AdamSchefter Adam Schefter

An agreement: Chicago is reuniting former Cowboys WR Roy Williams w/ Bears OC Mike Martz, who helped coach Williams to Pro Bowl in Detroit.

One less option for Braylon ;)

Was Chicago ever in the Braylon market?

@sidrosenberg

Sid Rosenberg

When the Jets make it official with Nnamdi today who fared better? Bill with Ochocinco & Haynesworth or Ryan bringing back Holmes & Nnamdi?

Anybody see this? Link below

The hottest free agent in the NFL this season, CB Nnamdi Asomugha, has been rumored to several teams this offseason, but after listening to rumors all day of the Houston Texans being in the lead to sign him only to watch Houston sign another corner, it appears that the eventual trip to the New York Jets is in the works. The online source, @incarceratedbob is reporting this evening that Nnamdi has agreed “in principal” with the Jets.

@incarceratedbob also broke the Santonio Holmes re-signing before any major media source this week, so while this might be a roll of the dice to go to print with this, he’s been dead on this week with three different signings I was was following.

If Nnamdi does sign with the Jets, he is going to have to take a pay cut, but the duo of Revis and Asomugha at the corner position is going to be perhaps the most formidable corner tandem the NFL has ever seen. Now the Jets will still need to add a pass rusher and a secondary receiver across from Santonio Holmes and Rex Ryan might finally see his prediction of a Super Bowl come true. The duo of Revis and Asomugha could see the New York Jets set the record for the fewest points allowed in a single season if the Jets add a pass rusher, because I don’t know who would be able to pass on that tandem, Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, no one.

http://www.thepigskinreport.com/2011/07/nnamdi-asomugha-set-to-sign-with-the-new-york-jets/

Was Chicago ever in the Braylon market?

no they weren't but with Cuttler loosing his security blanket in Olsen yesterday and they WR corp all little dudes like Bennett 6' Hester 5'11" and Knox 6' I thought Chi would bring in big body type to help him out. Just speculation on my part and the did bring in Roy which kind of confirmed my thoughts. Like I said I am just happy it's not Braylon.

ProFootballTalk ProFootballTalk

Nothing yet on Nnamdi t.co/KMJ8Hyg

Nothing yet on Asomugha

Posted by Mike Florio on July 29, 2011, 7:34 AM EDT

AP

After Rich Cimini officially launched an Asomugha vigil on Thursday night, I stayed up as late as possible, wary of the fact that Friday likely will be the craziest day in league history.

The decision of the Texans to sign cornerback Johnathan Joseph triggered a flurry of speculation that Nnamdi was headed for New York, and so it was time to wait for the green-and-white smoke to come from the chimney.

Rosenthal and I agreed to pull the plug on Nnamdi watch at 2:00 a.m., and so I hit the hay with the ringer on the official PFT cell phone set to high.

But even on full blast it wasn’t enough to disrupt my NFL-induced coma 45 minutes later, when a source with direct knowledge of the situation said that in response to the notion that a deal is in place with the Jets: “Not true. Nothing is settled.”

And so we pick up where we left off, waiting for word on where Nnamdi will go.

The Niners are in the hunt, the Cowboys could be, and there’s still a chance he’ll decide to stay with the Raiders.

no they weren't but with Cuttler loosing his security blanket in Olsen yesterday and they WR corp all little dudes like Bennett 6' Hester 5'11" and Knox 6' I thought Chi would bring in big body type to help him out. Just speculation on my part and the did bring in Roy which kind of confirmed my thoughts. Like I said I am just happy it's not Braylon.

Me too. I'm still hoping to retain him. Although, if he is gone, I would much rather it was somewhere far away like the NFC north.

JennyVrentas Jenny Vrentas

Nnamdi Asomugha race continues on Day 4 of free agency: http://tinyurl.com/3rc7ehl

Will today be the day?

Coveted free-agent cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha has yet to make a decision on where he'll take his talents this season. The Jets, who initially reached out to the Oakland star on the first day of free agency Tuesday, have been in the thick of the chase for Asomugha -- and, since agreeing to terms with receiver Santonio Holmes on Wednesday, have put most of their other free-agent shopping on hold.

The 49ers have been contenders from the beginning, and Tampa Bay has also been in the mix, per a person with knowledge of the interest shown Asomugha. That person requested anonymity because of the tenuous nature of negotiations.

A handful of reports have suggested that the Cowboys may be making a push for Asomugha, as well. That's a potential link the Jets must be aware of, as we mentioned Tuesday, since the Dallas defensive coordinator -- Rob Ryan, Rex Ryan's twin -- was Asomugha's defensive coordinator for five seasons in Oakland.

The Texans are no longer factors, agreeing to terms on a five-year deal with Johnathan Joseph yesterday evening and later reaching agreement with safety Danieal Manning, per reports.

This is a high-stakes chase. If the Jets lose out on Asomugha, they're hoping they can bring back Antonio Cromartie -- assuming he is not put off by their courting of another player at his position. A third option would be former Ravens cornerback Chris Carr.a

JennyVrentas Jenny Vrentas

Nnamdi Asomugha race continues on Day 4 of free agency: http://tinyurl.com/3rc7ehl

Will today be the day?

Coveted free-agent cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha has yet to make a decision on where he'll take his talents this season. The Jets, who initially reached out to the Oakland star on the first day of free agency Tuesday, have been in the thick of the chase for Asomugha -- and, since agreeing to terms with receiver Santonio Holmes on Wednesday, have put most of their other free-agent shopping on hold.

The 49ers have been contenders from the beginning, and Tampa Bay has also been in the mix, per a person with knowledge of the interest shown Asomugha. That person requested anonymity because of the tenuous nature of negotiations.

A handful of reports have suggested that the Cowboys may be making a push for Asomugha, as well. That's a potential link the Jets must be aware of, as we mentioned Tuesday, since the Dallas defensive coordinator -- Rob Ryan, Rex Ryan's twin -- was Asomugha's defensive coordinator for five seasons in Oakland.

The Texans are no longer factors, agreeing to terms on a five-year deal with Johnathan Joseph yesterday evening and later reaching agreement with safety Danieal Manning, per reports.

This is a high-stakes chase. If the Jets lose out on Asomugha, they're hoping they can bring back Antonio Cromartie -- assuming he is not put off by their courting of another player at his position. A third option would be former Ravens cornerback Chris Carr.a

SI_PeterKing Peter King

It's obvious Jets are willing to trade equivalent of Cromartie, Braylon and Brad Smith for Nnamdi. Then they'd sign big WR (Moss?) cheap.

It is obvious isn't it? Then why feel the need to tweet such an obvious statement? these guys.

ukjets UK Jets

The Jets Blog: Nnamdi Watch: Why the Wait? http://bit.ly/pH8tTv

Listening to 98.5 Boston this morning to hear the crowing that might be going on in Boston ovah gettin’ Alllbaaaaaaaaaaaht and Ocho, I was pleasantly surprised to hear Mike Lombardi (TJB’s history with Lombardi has been less than stellar) being interviewed and for him to be answering some questions about Aso.

First, he noted that the Texans voluntarily pulled out of the running for fear of being left standing in the game of musical cornerbacks, taking their best shot at one of the younger free agents available … saying that the Texans “made the decision for [Nnamdi].” Lombardi also made the point that he thinks Aso would very much like to stay on the West Coast … feeling torn about uprooting since he’s been out there for so long between his time at Cal & and his time in Oakland.

Then, when asked about why the Aso sweepstakes was taking so long, he offered this nugget.

“When a player [is taking a long time to make a decision] … the money is not there from the team he wants.”

His point was that the Jets don’t have the sort of money that he’s looking for, so it’s making the decision hard for him. If money wasn’t an issue, he’d have signed. So it’s assumed he’s looking to see how high other teams like the Niners and even the Raiders are willing to offer him before he moves on for good.

As far as any chance the Bucs will get in the mix? The Ledger seems to think so, which I would believe more than a certain self-styled internet hack was insisting last night that they are out of the running, but based on a conversation he had almost a month ago. Adam Schefter is saying that Dallas might be creeping into the mix, but Lombardi denied any interest that Dallas has had or will have in the proceedings.

So … basically don’t believe anything.

UPDATE: Of course, basically as soon as we write this, we hear that ESPN’s Adam Schefter just said on SportsCenter that there is an “80 percent” chance that Nnamdi ends up with the Jets.

Archived