Some tweets from The Hanger

flgreen

janesports Jane McManus

Ropati Pitoitua is the first to arrive, but he's 10 minutes early and isn't let in. Next is Vlad Ducasse, also early. #jets

38 minutes ago

janesports Jane McManus

Mark Sanchez and Dustin Keller are here. If Nick Mangold is in, they let him in early. Mike DeVito, Mark Brunell... It's a party. #Jets

21 minutes ago

• Replies 887
  • Created
  • Last Reply

janesports Jane McManus

Mark Sanchez and Dustin Keller are here. If Nick Mangold is in, they let him in early. Mike DeVito, Mark Brunell... It's a party. #Jets

23 minutes ago

mhigginsjets mhiggins

Big day at Florham park, @Mark_Sanchez and the #jets in at 10. This is the first thing they will see. yfrog.com/hseosyuj

2 hours ago

Like to see Pitoitua and Ducasse as the first two there given their circumstances. Even with the addition of Wilkerson, there's a good chance with the losses of Pryce and/or Ellis that Pitoitua will see the field a lot this year, particularly since Ryan was clearly very high on him last year in camp, and after missing a year, it's good to see him ready to hit the ground running. Ducasse is an obvious situation, as the Jets clearly want to give him every chance in the world to win the starting RT job, and that's going to take some serious commitment from him. While a couple of hours here and there may end up meaning nothing, that level of dedication tells you a lot about how hard these guys will be trying.

RichCimini Rich Cimini

Former Virginia Tech SS Davon Morgan tweets that he has a deal with the #Jets. A second-team all-ACC last season. #nyj

15 minutes ago

Nice, that's more along the lines of what I want to hear

rodboone Rod Boone

One thing to keep an eye: Cleveland Municipal Court spokesman tells me Braylon Edwards is due in court there at 1:30 p.m. tomorrow. #Jets

1 minute ago

uh-oh.

Jets rookie free agent signings

July 25th, 2011

Josh Baker, H-back, Northwest Missouri State

- Baker, at 6 feet 2 inches at 243 pounds, provides interesting versatility as an H-back. He’s a good athlete, running a 4.66 40 yard dash at his Pro Day. He has good athletic ability and a nice feel for the game. He probably will not make the roster, but he could be a nice backup/alternative to Dustin Keller in training camp.

Collin Franklin, TE, Iowa State

- Franklin is a big guy at 6 feet 6 inches and 256 pounds. He’s actually an ideal complement to the H-back type of player that fellow signee Josh Baker embodies. Franklin does has some athleticism, as evidenced by his 4.69 40 yard dash, but he is another developmental prospect.

Chris Stewart, OG, Notre Dame

- Stewart is a huge mauler at 6 feet 5 inches and 317 pounds. He has some bite in the run game and positional versatility at the defensive tackle position. However, he may lack the speed and athleticism to translate positively to the NFL.

Davon Morgan, S, Virginia Tech

- Morgan has had some injury issues in his college career, but he is an imposing player and could be a good replacement to Eric Smith in the Jets’ scheme. He’s a heady player who, at the very least, could provide special teams depth.

Zane Taylor, OG/C, Utah

- Taylor has a bit of versatility and technique to his game. I think he may even have a bit more upside than current guard Matt Slauson. Taylor is a nice gamble to take because his abilities probably warranted him being drafted. I think he could stick on the roster.

Nick Bellore, ILB, Central Michigan

- Bellore is not a great athlete, but he is instinctual and was probably a top 10 inside linebacker in the past draft class. He could provide some toughness in sub packages and on special teams.

Julian Posey, CB, Ohio

- Posey is a compact player with good physical skills. Ohio seems to have a lot of insecurity and inconsistency in terms of the development of talent at peripheral positions, but Posey seems like an interesting project. He’s a good fit for Rex’s style as well.

Courtney Smith, WR, South Alabama

- Smith is a super rangy player with absolutely massive upside at the next level. He has good hands and the athletic ability to stretch the field. Smith is a bit of a project, but he could pay off in a big way down the road.

uh-oh.

I think this could actually be good news for Braylon (relatively speaking). Consider that it's not like he was going to escape whatever is coming to him either way, so he's a lot better off from a negotiating standpoint to have everything all out on the table, then teams being worried and speculating about what is going to happen. If whatever happens tomorrow turns out to not affect his football playing ability, that'll be a big boost for him. Of course if turns out to be even worse than what people expected, that obviously isn't going to work out quite so well.

Chris_Bast Chris Bast

@LevarStoney - Davon Morgan signs with the #jets. Looks like Revis Island just got a new tenant #hokies

3 minutes ago

Sorry DLJ quoted u before by accident. This is what I mant

rodboone Rod Boone

Spokesman said things will definitely be resolved tomorrow at Edwards' hearing to see if he violated his parole. He'll know his fate. #Jets

22 minutes ago

Zane Taylor, OG/C, Utah

- Taylor has a bit of versatility and technique to his game. I think he may even have a bit more upside than current guard Matt Slauson. Taylor is a nice gamble to take because his abilities probably warranted him being drafted. I think he could stick on the roster.

Slauson was a 6th round pick who became a starter in his second year and showed massive improvement over the course of the season and was a pretty damn solid starter by seasons end, but this UDFA rookie is already being said to have a higher upside? Come on, give me a break. Considering the progress we've seen in his first two years in the league, I'd say Slauson's upside is pretty damn good.

rodboone Rod Boone

Source: #Jets are putting full court press on Damien Woody today. Rex, Mike T. & Woody called to say they want him back badly.

1 minute ago

If u follow big Wood on twitter you figured him coming back to the Jets was a given.

Slauson was a 6th round pick who became a starter in his second year and showed massive improvement over the course of the season and was a pretty damn solid starter by seasons end, but this UDFA rookie is already being said to have a higher upside? Come on, give me a break. Considering the progress we've seen in his first two years in the league, I'd say Slauson's upside is pretty damn good.

He really should be compared to Robert Turner because that is the spot he is competing for....a backup at the interior positions.

rodboone Rod Boone

Source: #Jets are putting full court press on Damien Woody today. Rex, Mike T. & Woody called to say they want him back badly.

1 minute ago

Good stuff. I think this is all but a slam dunk. Woody said earlier that he's either playing for the Jets this year or retiring, which should tell you how he feels about this team. The only possible question could be whether he's willing to play for as little as the Jets may want to pay him. Given their cap / FA situation, I'm sure they're looking to get him as close to the vet minimum as possible, especially since I still think they'll give Ducasse every chance to beat Woody out for the starting spot.

He really should be compared to Robert Turner because that is the spot he is competing for....a backup at the interior positions.

Yeah, don't get me wrong, I hope the kid has the goods and turns out to be a great pickup for the Jets, but to start talking about greater upside than players who have proven their worth in the NFL already is just a bit much for me. Right now he'd have to be thrilled just to make it behind Turner on the depth chart or even just land on the PS.

Archived