Jerricho to Mehta: If he (Derrick Mason) passes physical, he's here and I'm not

nj meadowlands

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The NYJETS went from having one of the best group of WRs in the league to the what ifs?

it's a hard cap sport. the jets had a ton of FA's , and had to prioritize. that's the whole point of the hard cap, to force player movement. heck, the jets are gonna run it anyway. rex says they will throw it more, but we know better

When did I say they didn't spend anything? I specifically stated they're likely not going to address the position through the draft, and history tells us exactly that. There's nothing wrong with that, it's just an observation based on the facts. I also said that the team has clearly shown a preference to address the position via FA and trade, which you only helped prove in pointing to Holmes and Edwards, who were both acquired via trade.

While I wasn't the one who made the WR size argument, and it's not something I'm going to particularly worry about it at this point, you do realize that outside of Burress every other player you mentioned is unlikely to even make the team, and mostly just camp fodder, right?

Excuse me. My fault. I read that whole thread and then went back to comment. I thought I might have quoted the wrong person when I first read your response, but I guess I skimmed your post and didn't get it straight. Sorry.

I think that WR take time to develop. I think that having guys you can count on is probably a good thing with a QB that is all over the map.

As for the height issue, sure those guys are mostly camp fodder, but they are also big. Meaning if somebody is out an extended time they can step up. Certainly for Kerley or McKnight. Payne was around most of last season, as was Turner. I don't think it's a foregone conclusion they will be cut. I really like the idea of Courtney Smith, we'll see if he can play, but if he were a 7th rounder he'd already be on the roster according to everybody here. Even assuming the WR after Burress are all smurfs (not the worst thing in the world) Keller and Cumberland are options that aren't small. Basically the complaint is that Mason is smaller than Cotchery. Cotchery is around 6' and Mason 5'10". Huge difference!

Excuse me. My fault. I read that whole thread and then went back to comment. I thought I might have quoted the wrong person when I first read your response, but I guess I skimmed your post and didn't get it straight. Sorry.

I think that WR take time to develop. I think that having guys you can count on is probably a good thing with a QB that is all over the map.

As for the height issue, sure those guys are mostly camp fodder, but they are also big. Meaning if somebody is out an extended time they can step up. Certainly for Kerley or McKnight. Payne was around most of last season, as was Turner. I don't think it's a foregone conclusion they will be cut. I really like the idea of Courtney Smith, we'll see if he can play, but if he were a 7th rounder he'd already be on the roster according to everybody here. Even assuming the WR after Burress are all smurfs (not the worst thing in the world) Keller and Cumberland are options that aren't small. Basically the complaint is that Mason is smaller than Cotchery. Cotchery is around 6' and Mason 5'10". Huge difference!

No problem, was just making sure we were on the same page. :-P I agree with your point on the WRs, there's VERY few who you see make an immediate impact in the NFL and I think the Jets stance has become that given the development time involved, it's not worth investing a high draft pick on (with the possible exception of trade). They'd much rather keep on trying to develop late picks and UDFAs and address starting positions with proven vets when need be. I don't blame them honestly, but was more just responding to the idea that the Jets would be addressing the position via the draft soon, which I don't see happening.

As far as the height, I'm not overly concerned, that was really just an observation. When there were rumors of the Jets replacing Edwards with James Jones I wasn't so happy about the lack of height (although I wanted nothing to do with Jones as a starter anyway), but at least with Plax that gives them one guy who fills the part. With Holmes, Plax, Mason and Kerley locked in on the roster, there's not a whole ton of room for these other guys to make it. But it's not like the Jets had a line of tall receivers after Braylon last year, with the exception of the same no name guys. Unfortunately you can't have an equal replacement for every guy on your roster, so it's something you have to live with.

My bad. I guess I should have been more aware of things like kids. I changed it again to something more PG. Besides, I love dogs.

doesn't matter to me if it's pg or not. i'm just against a gif that makes it look like a 6 yr old girl is giving a handjob

Archived