Shaun Ellis is a Patriot. It's time to focus on Muhammad Wilkerson from here on out.

JetsFanFromQueens

After having Shaun Ellis on our roster for 11 years, we failed to win a championship. His time has came and gone as one of the best DE's our franchise has ever seen. I rank Ellis right up there with both Klecko and Gastineau, but now it's time for another potential star to emerge on our defensive line; his name is Muhammad Wilkerson. It's time to move on and focus on our future.

D'Brickashaw Ferguson and Nick Mangold have both started on our offensive line since day one of their rookie season, now it's time for Wilkerson to do the same for our defensive line as our starting DE. Wilkerson attended Linden High School in his hometown of Linden, New Jersey. He helped lead Linden to state titles during his junior and senior years in basketball. He's a home town kid from New Jersey. He was born to be a Jet. As a freshman at Temple in 2008, Wilkerson played in 11 games and recorded 13 tackles and a sack. As a sophomore in 2009 he started all 13 games and recorded 58 tackles and six sacks. As a junior last year Wilkerson recorded 68 tackles and 10 sacks. Following his junior season, he was named to the first-team All-MAC selection and the team defensive MVP. You know who else came out of Temple? Our very own Joe Klecko.

Shaun Ellis has been a very productive 3-4 defensive end since 2006, measuring out at 6'5/295 lbs. Wilkerson comes from a different breed though, he's built to perform as a 3-4 defensive end weighing in at 6'4/315 pounds of pure power and athleticism. Being 20 pounds heavier than Ellis, opposing LT's/LG's could have a difficult time trying to move Wilkerson off the line.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpoIs0U-6hg

I can't wait to see our first rounder take the field. Hopefully he can help lead our defense to a championship.

First time in a long time the Jets picked the guy I really wanted coming out of the draft considering our position etc. Kid should be exactly what we need. He's a freak. Hopefully him and Ellis contribute out the gates.

First time in a long time the Jets picked the guy I really wanted coming out of the draft considering our position etc. Kid should be exactly what we need. He's a freak. Hopefully him and Ellis contribute out the gates.

I agree, some have stated he was the best value pick during the 1st round. Both Jon Gruden and Bill Billick were gushing over the drafting of Wilk. I'll be honest, I wanted to see us go offense during the 1st round with Mark Ingram to form a deadly 1-2 combo of Ingram and Greene behind our offensive line. Ingram almost fell to us, but now thinking about it? I'm glad we went DE with our first round pick and couldn't be happier with the selection of Wilkerson. Rex Ryan is a defensive guru in terms of thoroughly evaluating defensive line talent. He's already named Wilkerson a starter which is good enough for me. I've already became a believer in #9.

Funny, I kept hearing about how he's not really a pass rusher. I know he's a 3-4 end so one way or another that's not the best position to be in to rush the passer. But, having reviewed the videos, they seem to paint him as a big time pass rusher... 2nd in sacks? Wow!

Wilkerson said he would have liked to learn from Ellis. "But now that he's not coming back, that just means I have to work even harder"

My type of Jet. He's my early favorite for defensive rookie of the year.

Love it. Exactly what you want to here...heard the same thing out of Kerley with J-Co gone. Love that mentality.

Funny, I kept hearing about how he's not really a pass rusher. I know he's a 3-4 end so one way or another that's not the best position to be in to rush the passer. But, having reviewed the videos, they seem to paint him as a big time pass rusher... 2nd in sacks? Wow!

Where did you hear he wasnt a pass rusher? The dude has monster sack numbers in college.

Either way, he's not here because he's a pass rusher...he's here because he's a versatile as it gets for a 3-4 DE. Stops the run, great pursuit of the QB and can even get into passing lanes with his size and wing span. Plus, he can play every position on the DL. He's just an athletic freak who Rex will find numerous ways to use.

I agree, some have stated he was the best value pick during the 1st round. Both Jon Gruden and Bill Billick were gushing over the drafting of Wilk. I'll be honest, I wanted to see us go offense during the 1st round with Mark Ingram to form a deadly 1-2 combo of Ingram and Greene behind our offensive line. Ingram almost fell to us, but now thinking about it? I'm glad we went DE with our first round pick and couldn't be happier with the selection of Wilkerson. Rex Ryan is a defensive guru in terms of thoroughly evaluating defensive line talent. He's already named Wilkerson a starter which is good enough for me. I've already became a believer in #9.

Mel Kiper, who's made a career of bashing the Jets on draft day, said that he could make an argument that Wilkerson was the best pick of the first round.

where have we seen a defensive lineman with a reach like that and to have that much power in those long arms-this kid is going to be here for a LONG time-I have high hopes for him and Kenrick Ellis anchoring that line for years to come. Look at the difference in what the Jets are doing and what New England is doing on the D-line. We're going young and strong while they're going old and questionable-I LIKE the make up of the 2011 Jets

He was pretty damn good though.

I now implore the Jets to give Kenrick Ellis #92 so I don't have to burn my customized Ellis 92 shirt I bought last year.

Sorry dude Kenrick won't take 92 out of respect for Shaun. Besides he wore 97 in college, and 93 is closer to 97 than 92.

Either way, he's not here because he's a pass rusher...he's here because he's a versatile as it gets for a 3-4 DE. Stops the run, great pursuit of the QB and can even get into passing lanes with his size and wing span. Plus, he can play every position on the DL. He's just an athletic freak who Rex will find numerous ways to use.

He could have the ability to provide a very strong pass rush for our defens, but I agree with you, we didn't draft Muhammad to solve our pass rush, we drafted him to improve it in more ways than one. As a fan base, we can't expect a 3-4 DE, no matter how gifted this kid can become, to put up the types of sack numbers of 4-3 DE's such as a Dwight Freeney, John Abraham, Mario Williams, Julius Peppers, Osi Umenyiora, Jared Allen etc. When running a 4-3 defense, those guys have the ability to pin their ears back while rushing opposing quarterbacks like never before. That's always been the job of a 4-3 DE, to pressure the QB for 4 quarters strong.

Now, when running a 3-4 scheme, as we all you, you need your 3-4 DE's penetrating into the backfield, disrupting/stuffing runs behind the line of scrimmage and/or especially taking up blocks in order for OLB's such as DeMarcus Ware, Clay Matthews, James Harrison, Terrell Suggs and Tamba Hali the chance to get after the QB. Those are just some of the reasons why I can't wait to see our 1st rounder take the field. Shaun Ellis was a very productive DE for us, but back in 2006 when Mangini switched to a 3-4 defense Ellis was already 30 years old. We just never seen the consistent explosiveness out of Ellis, that I'm expecting to see with our rookie DE in Wilkerson who's only 21 years of age. If Wilkerson can live up to expectations as a force inside the trenches, look for Calvin Pace to not only harass QB's on a consistant basis, but also record big time sack numbers this season. When opposing left tackles and RB's are forced to focus on containing Calvin Pace coming from the outside... Thats when we can expect Wilkerson to blow past the LG, followed by hitting the QB blindside.

When I hear fans talking about our rookie being able to stuff the run, having the ability to put together a strong pursuit of the QB, chasing down HB's in the flat, getting into a QB's passing lane, batting down passes due to his wing span and/or being able to play every position on the defensive line due to his overall athleticism... Richard Seymour immediately comes to mind. He took over games. I'm hopeful that Rex Ryan can use Wilkerson in the same types of ways that Belichick always found ways to use Seymour. Versatility would have to be the phrase that comes to mind. Seymour has never put up anything more than 8 sacks during a single season, but that hasn't stopped him from completely taking over games throughout his entire career.

Wilkerson is 6'4/315 lbs. Seymour is 6'6/310 lbs. Both were drafted during the 1st rounds and both have enormous wingspan. I truly see a lot of Seymour in Wilkerson compared to when Seymour was heading into the NFL back in 2001 out of Georgia university. If Rex Ryan can develope this kid into a Seymour type of 3-4 talent... The sky's the limit for our defense. There has never been a player on NE's defense, that I feared more than Richard Seymour himself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2b7GVDTccwc

Archived