Sorry for the downtime

Maxman

We have had several issues lately with IPB, specifically our hosted forums. What that means is that our forums are essentially on their servers (people call it the cloud) so we can get more bandwidth on game days. The upside is the forums should always be fast, even with thousands of people online at once.

The downside is that our data is out of our control. We had several problems the past few months with downtime. Recently they had hardware issues which caused issues for us.

Tonight they had an administrative glitch. It is resolved now but they suspended our account for lack of payment. Except we are set up to autorenew. They didn't process that, didn't send us an invoice and instead just suspended our account on a holiday weekend. The downtime tonight was so long because they are closed for the holiday.

I have no pride though and I sent IPB members just about every way I could -- Facebook, Linkedin, Twitter, etc. :)

We are back now and we just received a personal apology from their CEO. I apologize to everyone here for the downtime and thank you for your patience and loyalty to JN. When the site went down we got many messages and I definitely appreciate people reaching out. We received several complaints and I appreciate that as well. We want JetNation to be your home for Jets news so thanks again for visiting so often.

The downtime issue is something we take seriously, so we will be exploring several options to determine what the best course of action going forward.

Thanks again!

been there with hosts, it's such a pia to move hosts

Agreed. The host we use for the front page has been great for years....the forum side of things is a complete hit or miss. When it is up it is great imo. Just too much downtime.

The CEO of the company gave me the impression that he isn't happy about what happened to us. It would be nice if this was the last thread of this nature for a long time.

Agreed. The host we use for the front page has been great for years....the forum side of things is a complete hit or miss. When it is up it is great imo. Just too much downtime.

The CEO of the company gave me the impression that he isn't happy about what happened to us. It would be nice if this was the last thread of this nature for a long time.

My company has a bad host we're stuck with, we went through a period last year like your going through now.. Ton's of downtime over a 60 day period, since then it's been a lot better, but still sucky, if that makes sense.. We generally get poor service and have lots of little annoyances now... I wish we had moved, but for us moving is risky and requires pretty much a full weekend of downtime

My company has a bad host we're stuck with, we went through a period last year like your going through now.. Ton's of downtime over a 60 day period, since then it's been a lot better, but still sucky, if that makes sense.. We generally get poor service and have lots of little annoyances now... I wish we had moved, but for us moving is risky and requires pretty much a full weekend of downtime

A move for us, which does seem inevitable, would be similar. We are hosted so after we get our data we have to put it somewhere. Luckily Greenbeans hates that we are hosted because he likes tweaking MYSQL. So he will be happy to hear that we need to move. :)

He is crazy like that...

A move for us, which does seem inevitable, would be similar. We are hosted so after we get our data we have to put it somewhere. Luckily Greenbeans hates that we are hosted because he likes tweaking MYSQL. So he will be happy to hear that we need to move. :)

He is crazy like that...

Good luck... we moved 3 years ago, we were on site and wanted DR.. So we moved to this company, promising all this up time, co location, etc.. and have had more down time since the move then before.. The problem is moving to someone new could be the same problems... Most service providers I've worked with are so unbelievably bad that I often think of starting my own company.. for example, the company we use for alternate payment processing decided to change their IP addresses on Thanksgiving eve, so Thanksgiving morning was spent emailing and calling cause DNS hadn't yet propagated and we were down.. how do you make a change like that unannounced, right before a holiday, leading up to the biggest weekend of the year?

Good luck... we moved 3 years ago, we were on site and wanted DR.. So we moved to this company, promising all this up time, co location, etc.. and have had more down time since the move then before.. The problem is moving to someone new could be the same problems... Most service providers I've worked with are so unbelievably bad that I often think of starting my own company.. for example, the company we use for alternate payment processing decided to change their IP addresses on Thanksgiving eve, so Thanksgiving morning was spent emailing and calling cause DNS hadn't yet propagated and we were down.. how do you make a change like that unannounced, right before a holiday, leading up to the biggest weekend of the year?

Did you try checking the specs on the endline for the rotary girder?

This is why I administer my own server for all of my websites. The only way my sites go down is because of an error on my part.

Yes that is good in theory but when we have peak months with a few million page views, it gets very costly on dedicated boxes. We lose control this way but we were able to bring the total monthly cost to run the site down, that is why we tried it. That said to date it has made game day much better but the other problems make it not worth it overall.

Companies that process payments or financial trnasactions usualy have a holiday freeze from weekend before Thanksgiving till weekend after Christmas. This must be some amateur joint. Changing IP addresses without letting anyone know. Wow!

Yes that is good in theory but when we have peak months with a few million page views, it gets very costly on dedicated boxes. We lose control this way but we were able to bring the total monthly cost to run the site down, that is why we tried it. That said to date it has made game day much better but the other problems make it not worth it overall.

Yeah, I definitely understand why you have it hosted. I'm "lucky" in that I don't have peak days where traffic really spikes and only average around 1 million page views a month. It makes it a lot easier for me to host on my own.

Yeah, I definitely understand why you have it hosted. I'm "lucky" in that I don't have peak days where traffic really spikes and only average around 1 million page views a month. It makes it a lot easier for me to host on my own.

I think the forum software doesn't really help. Things should be much more efficient than they are...all I know is that it will all be the death of me eventually. :)

Lol. I thought I was too for a sec. Im sitting here like "Who suspended my account"?

Then I realized it was "the cloud". :chas:

You actually were banned. Not sure how you got back in. But we are working on that glitch right now. hahaha...

We have had several issues lately with IPB, specifically our hosted forums. What that means is that our forums are essentially on their servers (people call it the cloud) so we can get more bandwidth on game days. The upside is the forums should always be fast, even with thousands of people online at once.

The downside is that our data is out of our control. We had several problems the past few months with downtime. Recently they had hardware issues which caused issues for us.

Tonight they had an administrative glitch. It is resolved now but they suspended our account for lack of payment. Except we are set up to autorenew. They didn't process that, didn't send us an invoice and instead just suspended our account on a holiday weekend. The downtime tonight was so long because they are closed for the holiday.

I have no pride though and I sent IPB members just about every way I could -- Facebook, Linkedin, Twitter, etc. :)

We are back now and we just received a personal apology from their CEO. I apologize to everyone here for the downtime and thank you for your patience and loyalty to JN. When the site went down we got many messages and I definitely appreciate people reaching out. We received several complaints and I appreciate that as well. We want JetNation to be your home for Jets news so thanks again for visiting so often.

The downtime issue is something we take seriously, so we will be exploring several options to determine what the best course of action going forward.

Thanks again!

Whhhhhhhhhhhhhhhew!! Is that it? When I saw my account was suspended I thought you imposed a weight limit.

Archived