Allons-y (2)
Talkin' Hawkin'

Calling
Eyes to Pearls
Surfacing
Louder Than Words

Release Date:  Nov. 10th, 2014

:)

I'll certainly give this one a listen, but the excitement over it is, in my opinion, a bit overblown. Momentary Lapse and Division Bell are not that great (though Learning to Fly is a personal favorite). I'm sure the live shows will be awesome and I will try to be there, but these guys clearly have a hard time finding a direction in the studio without Waters or Barrett.

I'll certainly give this one a listen, but the excitement over it is, in my opinion, a bit overblown. Momentary Lapse and Division Bell are not that great (though Learning to Fly is a personal favorite). I'm sure the live shows will be awesome and I will try to be there, but these guys clearly have a hard time finding a direction in the studio without Waters or Barrett.

I personally don't care for the majority of the Barrett days. I like both records without Waters and I like the majority of Waters solo stuff as well.

Did you like Gilmour's last solo record?

I personally don't care for the majority of the Barrett days. I like both records without Waters and I like the majority of Waters solo stuff as well.

Did you like Gilmour's last solo record?

Not really. I think he's a fantastic musician but for me there's just such a gap in the quality of his work when Waters isn't guiding things.

I caveat this as being pure personal opinion and not aimed at anyone here, just general ranting (steam blowing off)....

.....I think the denegration of the Post-Waters Floyd is truly misguided. 

Are the lyrics as top-notch as what Waters wrote in his mid-70's peak?    No.

Are they as good as what Waters wrote pre-Mid 70's and post-Floyd?  Absolutely they are, and I'd say better, because Waters pre-mid 70'd work was far from great, and his post-Floyd work has all the angry bitter political hatred of a internet screed.

More importantly, are the Post-Waters floyd lyrics as good as otyher bands today, or other bands of their era in the twilight of their career?  Absolutely they are, and again, I'd say better.  Just read some of the recent Rolling Stone lyrics, lol.

The problem is a band being held to the rigorous expectation (unrealistic) that they have to produce work in the late golden years equal, in lyrics or in music, to match their greatest works ever.....otherwise it's sh*te.

Thats such a silly standard to hold them to IMO.  Utterly unrealistic, and (in criticism) overblown.

'Lapse and Division Bell are both excellent albums, with songs (Learning to Fly, Sorrow, High Hopes, Marooned, Great Day for Freedom,  Coming back to Life, etc) that are the equal IMO to anything earlier.

There are a few "problems", of course.  1. The peak period work was, generally, concept album material (obviously so).  'Lapse isn't, and Bell is, but is (frankly) far more subtle a concept that the earlier Waters works. 

2. The peak period work was full of very long "epic" song-pieces.  Both Lapse and Bell are not, they're more traditional-length song suites without any "epic" stuff, with more songs, less epic-length.

3. Passion?  I don't question Gilmours passion......I question only his age.  The man is old, and his music has aged with him, and it shows.  He plays slower, and more deliberate, but with admittedly less energy in the song-structures.  It's an age thing IMO, Gilmour was never a Townsend or Richards, never a rock and roller in that way, and his aging is clear in his music. I'm glad, honestly, 70 year olds rancing around pretending their 20 year odl rock stars is embarassing and (usually) that music is sh*t.  Gilmours usic is most certainly not sh*t.

4. Ignoring Roger Waters solo work....which is (in the great majority) a steaming pile of WORDS, endless words over mostly sh*t music, wasting the brilliance of BOTH Clapton (Pros and Cons) and Beck (Amused).  Only his most recent work, circa the early 90's, Amused to Death, was even in the ballpark of pre-breakup decent.  Waters without Floyd is FAR worse that Floyd without Waters, by a longshot.

In any eveny, for me it's easy, ANY Floyd is far far far better than no Floyd.  At it's very worst, Endless River will be an hour+ of "Marooned" mixed with "Shine On" mixed with a taste of the "Orb/Gilmour" combo on "Metallic Spheres".  I'll take that happily, any day of the week.

And as a honorarium for Rick Wright, I respect it regardless of how it came to be or how old the sourse or how much liek Bell it may sound, the man deserves a honorarium IMO.

Given the generally bereft music scene of that Floydian style of music, fans like me are hardly flooded with options, and certainly not superior options.  I'd listen to Gilmours noodling demos over most of what gets released as "prog" today, frankly, and I'm no old man who hates todays music, I love a ton of modern rock honestly.

I just think the post-Waters Floyd is held to a standard no man could reach, a standard Roger certainly can't reach himself, every album must be "Dark Side II" or it's sh*te, and it wears me out hearing it.  Liek it or not, but remember that shtting on the happiness of dedicated fans over a non-sports thing is just wasted time. 

While I wish they could have settled their differences on this disk, and worked together one last time, it was never going to happen, no matter how much it could have made them all monetarily.  Floyd is no Eagles.

P.S. for those hoping for a Tour, I'm sorry, but there is no tour planned.  Without Rick, and at their ages, there likely will never be another tour fromt he Gilmour side, even if he puts out another solo album (as expected he will in 2015). I think those days are done now.  Waters may tour again with his long-awaited never-materializing solo disk (also due in 2015 per Waters) but Gilmour will not.

Late Night Laser Light Shows at the Orlando Science Center, heavily medicated on hallucinogenics.  That what l associate with Pink Floyd.  That and being a 5 year old boy watching the Wall with my older brothers and having nightmares for a very long time.  

I will definitely check this out.  Though I cant say that I've ever chose to listen to Pink Floyd not heavily under the influence of something mind altering.

Really good post  Warfish.

I think some of the disappointment or aging with Gilmour's voice is for a while there he seemed to have totally lost it. I saw him play can't remember if it was 2002 or 2003. I flew in to NYC for that concert. And that evening he just didn't have it. He mightily struggled thru his performance. Most people at the concert were very disappointed. I was glad to see for what looked to be one of the last few times he might ever be performing  and sad that Father Time had reduced one of the best voices of my childhood to a shadow of what it once was.

But subsequently i have seen YouTube vids of Gilmour performing after that period of time and he sounded good although not the voice in his prime it was much better than what I had heard at that concert. So i can understand some of the criticism of his performance for a while there early in this century because he did sounded like he was way off.

It's music beauty is in the ear of the beholder.

Absolutely. Like all things art it's subject to taste. I've been a huge Floyd fan my entire life, I actually started playing music because of hearing Pigs when I was a kid. Accepting the fact that neither them or Guns are ever getting back together is maybe the greatest denial I have ever had to get over.

Listening to an album like The Final Cut, it's such a heart breaker, because there is so much greatness in that album and it simply can't come out because of all the tension.

Great post. I enjoyed Gilmour's last album, although I admit I was desperate for anything new from him.

Gilmour is my favorite guitarist.

I was able to meet Waters and it was very cool. Went to see Waters do Darkside was awesome as well.

I caveat this as being pure personal opinion and not aimed at anyone here, just general ranting (steam blowing off)....

.....I think the denegration of the Post-Waters Floyd is truly misguided. 

Are the lyrics as top-notch as what Waters wrote in his mid-70's peak?    No.

Are they as good as what Waters wrote pre-Mid 70's and post-Floyd?  Absolutely they are, and I'd say better, because Waters pre-mid 70'd work was far from great, and his post-Floyd work has all the angry bitter political hatred of a internet screed.

More importantly, are the Post-Waters floyd lyrics as good as otyher bands today, or other bands of their era in the twilight of their career?  Absolutely they are, and again, I'd say better.  Just read some of the recent Rolling Stone lyrics, lol.

The problem is a band being held to the rigorous expectation (unrealistic) that they have to produce work in the late golden years equal, in lyrics or in music, to match their greatest works ever.....otherwise it's sh*te.

Thats such a silly standard to hold them to IMO.  Utterly unrealistic, and (in criticism) overblown.

'Lapse and Division Bell are both excellent albums, with songs (Learning to Fly, Sorrow, High Hopes, Marooned, Great Day for Freedom,  Coming back to Life, etc) that are the equal IMO to anything earlier.

There are a few "problems", of course.  1. The peak period work was, generally, concept album material (obviously so).  'Lapse isn't, and Bell is, but is (frankly) far more subtle a concept that the earlier Waters works. 

2. The peak period work was full of very long "epic" song-pieces.  Both Lapse and Bell are not, they're more traditional-length song suites without any "epic" stuff, with more songs, less epic-length.

3. Passion?  I don't question Gilmours passion......I question only his age.  The man is old, and his music has aged with him, and it shows.  He plays slower, and more deliberate, but with admittedly less energy in the song-structures.  It's an age thing IMO, Gilmour was never a Townsend or Richards, never a rock and roller in that way, and his aging is clear in his music. I'm glad, honestly, 70 year olds rancing around pretending their 20 year odl rock stars is embarassing and (usually) that music is sh*t.  Gilmours usic is most certainly not sh*t.

4. Ignoring Roger Waters solo work....which is (in the great majority) a steaming pile of WORDS, endless words over mostly sh*t music, wasting the brilliance of BOTH Clapton (Pros and Cons) and Beck (Amused).  Only his most recent work, circa the early 90's, Amused to Death, was even in the ballpark of pre-breakup decent.  Waters without Floyd is FAR worse that Floyd without Waters, by a longshot.

In any eveny, for me it's easy, ANY Floyd is far far far better than no Floyd.  At it's very worst, Endless River will be an hour+ of "Marooned" mixed with "Shine On" mixed with a taste of the "Orb/Gilmour" combo on "Metallic Spheres".  I'll take that happily, any day of the week.

And as a honorarium for Rick Wright, I respect it regardless of how it came to be or how old the sourse or how much liek Bell it may sound, the man deserves a honorarium IMO.

Given the generally bereft music scene of that Floydian style of music, fans like me are hardly flooded with options, and certainly not superior options.  I'd listen to Gilmours noodling demos over most of what gets released as "prog" today, frankly, and I'm no old man who hates todays music, I love a ton of modern rock honestly.

I just think the post-Waters Floyd is held to a standard no man could reach, a standard Roger certainly can't reach himself, every album must be "Dark Side II" or it's sh*te, and it wears me out hearing it.  Liek it or not, but remember that shtting on the happiness of dedicated fans over a non-sports thing is just wasted time. 

While I wish they could have settled their differences on this disk, and worked together one last time, it was never going to happen, no matter how much it could have made them all monetarily.  Floyd is no Eagles.

P.S. for those hoping for a Tour, I'm sorry, but there is no tour planned.  Without Rick, and at their ages, there likely will never be another tour fromt he Gilmour side, even if he puts out another solo album (as expected he will in 2015). I think those days are done now.  Waters may tour again with his long-awaited never-materializing solo disk (also due in 2015 per Waters) but Gilmour will not.

For those who prefer the Waters, here is his new song.  For what it's worth.

hhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZI8I7aJo2U

Typical Roger, recycled strummy Pigs on the Wing/Mother Riffing, usual hard-core-politics-disguised-as-song.

Those who love his post-Floyd work will adore it, those who like music will likely /shrug and forget it instantly.

Updated Track Listing with Run Times and Writers:

Rick Wright credited as writer or co-writer on 11 of 18 tracks, wow.

Side one

1. "Things Left Unsaid" (Gilmour, Wright) 4:26

2. "It's What We Do" (Gilmour, Wright) 6:15

3. "Ebb and Flow" (Gilmour, Wright) 1:52

Total length:

12:33

Side two

1. "Sum" (Gilmour, Wright, Mason) 4:50

2. "Skins" (Gilmour, Wright, Mason) 2:32

3. "Unsung" (Wright) 1:06

4. "Anisina" (Gilmour) 3:10

Total length:

11:38

Side three

1. "The Lost Art of Conversation" (Wright) 1:43

2. "On Noodle Street" (Gilmour, Wright) 1:42

3. "Night Light" (Gilmour, Wright) 1:42

4. "Allons-y (1)" (Gilmour) 1:56

5. "Autumn '68" (Wright) 1:37

6. "Allons-y (2)" (Gilmour) 1:35

7. "Talkin Hawkin'" (Gilmour, Wright) 3:26

Total length:

12:21

Side four

1. "Calling" (Gilmour, Moore) 3:38

2. "Eyes to Pearls" (Gilmour) 1:52

3. "Surfacing" (Gilmour) 2:47

4. "Louder Than Words" (Gilmour, Samson) 6:25

Total length:

14:42

Total Run Time: ~51 Minutes Total.

Truth.  Except for this new country pop sh*t thats out there that guys like JF80 listen to.  That sh*t is literally the worst thing ever created.

No doubt.  Truly ******* horrible.

Personally Pink Floyd is my favorite me time music.  I spent all of high school listening to it every single day of my life.  Even my high school quote was a Pink Floyd lyric.  Interesting that quote has defined my life.   I like the tone of the lyrics and sophistication of the music to just lose myself in it.   

I once listened to Animals for 3 days straight after the girl I had a crush on got pregnant and moved to New Jersey to live with her grandmother.  That time it wasn;t my sperm. Damn it. 

Archived