Free Agent dept. ~ ~ ~

kelly

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The New York Jets may be looking to make a splash in free agency under new head coach Todd Bowles, and stealing one of the most explosive players from a divisional rival would certainly do it.

Buffalo Bills running back C.J. Spiller is set to become a free agent this year, and with his former head coach Chan Gailey taking a job as the Jets’ offensive coordinator, many see New York as a perfect fit.

Spiller himself fueled some of those rumors, saying he was intrigued by the idea of re-joining Gailey, who helped give Spiller the best years of his career.

The rumors suggesting C.J. Spiller could go to the New York Jets are also pushed by reports from within the Bills organization that they may not prioritize keeping Spiller this year. The Bills have a still-productive Fred Jackson, and this year added Anthony “Boobie” Dixon and Bryce Brown, who were both productive at times.

But the Buffalo Bills may not let C.J. Spiller go without a fight. Though he missed most of 2014 after breaking his collarbone, and had some disappointing stretches before that, the team lacked firepower on offense and could use Spiller under new head coach Rex Ryan.

Bills general manager Doug Whaley said the team intends to keep Spiller.

“We’re going to try to do our darndest to get this guy in the fold and get him back,” said Whaley. “I’m sure he’s disappointed with how last year went with the injuries, but we want him to come back with us and get back to the form we know he can play at.”

Spiller was also diplomatic about his responses, saying he would like to stay with the team if he could.

“Different things happen each year. You want to have the year I had in 2012 consistently, but unfortunately I wasn’t able to do that these last two years.”

Spiller added that he’s “not sitting here retiring from football. I feel good. I’ve got a lot of years left to play. ”

But if the price tag for C.J. Spiller gets too high, the Bills may need to move on and focus on some of their defensive free agents, including Jerry Hughes. That could leave the New York Jets as a frontrunner for Spiller.

> http://www.inquisitr.com/1784508/new-york-jets-rumor-c-j-spiller-could-be-teams-first-big-free-agent-target-under-todd-bowles/

what range will CJ spiller price tag be? this is a great draft for elusive rb's,I wonder if we can get him around the same price we got chris johnson for after he gets cut.

I don't think we'll draft a rb till the 4th or 5th round..

cheers ~ ~

:cheer:

Oh yeah! Stevie jerked that hamstring around from here and there lol. He's fast.

but if we could get Cobb that would be damn great.

Yes sir,we on the same page with Cobb his camp need to be contacted day 1,but will the Packers part ways with they did with Greg Jennings.

Yes sir,we on the same page with Cobb his camp need to be contacted day 1,but will the Packers part ways with they did with Greg Jennings.

there is a chance with their rookie rising quickly. I'm hopeful he comes off the market. D.Thomas from the Broncos is another top candidate. He has expressed a little interest in joining the Raiders because that's his favorite team growing up.. so to say D.Thomas hitting FA isn't totally out of the relm of possibilities either. Maybe he would want to be teamed with Decker more than Oakland if we can give him the right digits.

What about Brooks Reed? I know half the board at JI loved him a few years ago in the draft. Has he become the pass rusher people thought he would?

he had 169 tackles, 14.5 sacks and 1 interception this year.. lol so yeah I would say so. Is he a FA this year? He plays for the Texans So There IS a connection.

I believe so. So is his teammate Kareem Jackson, a cb, which is a bigger need for us.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/6539/brooks-reed

I lied to you. That was his career stats. His 2014 stats are 25 tackles,2 sacks and 2 interception. Not much. I knew something wasn't right... but regardless it seems they moved him to inside linebacker this year and that probably didn't help.

he had 169 tackles, 14.5 sacks and 1 interception this year.. lol so yeah I would say so. Is he a FA this year? He plays for the Texans So There IS a connection.

I am all for bringing him in, but those are his career stats.

Here are the free agents that interest me:

QB

Matt Moore Miami Dolphins 

RB

C.J. Spiller Buffalo Bills 

WR (If we cut Harvin)

Randall Cobb Green Bay Packers 
Michael Crabtree San Francisco 49ers 
Jeremy Maclin Philadelphia Eagles 
Torrey Smith Baltimore Ravens 
Demaryius Thomas Denver Broncos

OLB

Jerry Hughes Buffalo Bills 
Sam Acho Arizona Cardinals 
Pernell McPhee Baltimore Ravens
Derrick Morgan Tennessee Titans 
Brian Orakpo Washington Redskins
Brooks Reed Houston Texans 
Jason Worilds Pittsburgh Steelers

ILB

Malcolm Smith Seattle Seahawks
Nate Irving Denver Broncos 
Jamari Lattimore Green Bay Packers
Kelvin Sheppard Miami Dolphins

CB

Perrish Cox San Francisco 49ers 
Antonio Cromartie Arizona Cardinals
Chris Culliver San Francisco 49ers 
Brandon Flowers San Diego Chargers 
Kareem Jackson Houston Texans 
Byron Maxwell Seattle Seahawks 
Robert McClain Atlanta Falcons 
Walter Thurmond New York Giants 

S

Nate Allen Philadelphia Eagles 
Kendrick Lewis Houston Texans 
Dwight Lowery Atlanta Falcons 
Devin McCourty New England Patriots 
Rahim Moore Denver Broncos 
Ron Parker Kansas City Chiefs 
Da'Norris Searcy Buffalo Bills

Here are the free agents that interest me :

RB

C.J. Spiller Buffalo Bills 

WR (If we cut Harvin)

Randall Cobb Green Bay Packers 
Jeremy Maclin Philadelphia Eagles 
 Demaryius Thomas Denver Broncos

OLB

Sam Acho Arizona Cardinals 
Pernell McPhee Baltimore Ravens
Derrick Morgan Tennessee Titans 
Jason Worilds Pittsburgh Steelers

ILB

Malcolm Smith Seattle Seahawks
Jamari Lattimore Green Bay Packers

CB

Perrish Cox San Francisco 49ers 
Chris Culliver San Francisco 49ers 
 Byron Maxwell Seattle Seahawks 
Robert McClain Atlanta Falcons 

S

Nate Allen Philadelphia Eagles 
 Dwight Lowery Atlanta Falcons 
Devin McCourty New England Patriots 
Rahim Moore Denver Broncos 

..this ^ ^

:character0181:

I haven't heard much from Stevie Johnson. wonder if he has lost a step or not.

edit: 35 repections, 435 yards, 3 TD's Last year probably playing behind some players. He only started 1 game last season.

stevie Johnson ?.. no thanx :beer:

Seahawks' Byron Maxwell excited to test free agency

PHOENIX -- Coach Pete Carroll acknowledged Thursday that the Seattle Seahawks will face "some really difficult decisions" as Russell Wilson's contract transitions from considerable competitive advantage to a roster-building albatross in the offseason.

One of those decisions will involve impending free agent cornerback Byron Maxwell, whom general manager John Schneider concedes will be "highly sought after" on the open market.

The Seahawks would like to bring Maxwell back, but they haveTharold Simon waiting in the wings. Both sides seem to realize the demand for Maxwell's services will price him out of Seattle's plans.

Asked this week if he's excited to gauge his value in free agency, Maxwell made it clear that he's willing to play for the highest bidder.

"I'm the prettiest girl at the dance right now," Maxwell quipped. "But yeah, it's one of those things I'm excited about it. I would love to be here but ... I'm ready to see what's out there."

Boasting ideal size (6-foot-1), sure tackling and the demonstrated ability to excel outside as well as the slot, Maxwell tops a free-agent cornerback list that includes Brandon Flowers,Antonio Cromartie and Tramon Williams.

Perhaps Seahawks defensive coordinator Dan Quinn will lure him to Atlanta to play opposite burgeoningPro Bowl cover corner Desmond Trufant in a revamped Falconssecondary.

Eric Decker's first season in New York wasn't pretty, but that isn't stopping him from trying to improve things.

The Jets wide receiver recently spent a few days in Arizona shooting a commercial for Courtyard by Marriott, and during the downtime between takes, gave his best sales pitch to former teammate Demaryius Thomas, an upcoming unrestricted free agent.

"I've been pushing for the entire year now," Decker said in a telephone interview with The New York Post. "It was just another opportunity to talk to him about it. It's going to be interesting to see what happens.

"I think it would be tough for Denver to let him go. So whether they franchise-tag him here in the next month or give him a long-term deal, he's just one of those premier players in this league. If he happens to make it to free agency, I would love to sign him because playing alongside him for four years and especially the last two years made it a lot of fun and made it a lot easier. He's just one of the great players in this league."

When Decker says playing on the same field as Thomas made it a lot easier, he wasn't kidding. Decker had his best season as a pro when lining up with Thomas in 2013, hauling in 87 passes for 1,288 yards and 11 touchdowns as part of a record-setting Broncos offense. His output made him one of the hottest free agent targets, something the otherwise-frivolous Jets took advantage of when they signed him to a five-year, $36.25 million deal in March.

Decker finished with 962 yards receiving and five touchdowns on 74 receptions, statistics all down from his last two seasons in Denver. While Thomas is likely to stay in the Mile-High City  -- either via franchise tag or a new contract, as Decker said -- the Jets wideout decided he'd at least make a pitch to bring a former comrade to the East Coast in hopes of reviving a New York offense that finished in the league's bottom-third in total yards in 2014.

With new GM Mike Maccagnan promising to be "very active in free agency," it couldn't hurt to try.

> http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000466282/article/eric-decker-pitches-jets-to-demaryius-thomas

Archived