S dept . : Gilchrist ~ ~ ~

kelly

-- Darrelle Revis and Antonio Cromartie aren't the only new members of the Jets' starting secondary.Marcus Gilchrist is the team's new first-string free safety, and could be an upgrade as well.

A second-round draft pick by San Diego in 2011, Gilchrist started every game for the Chargers the past two years. He couldn't practice in the spring after having offseason shoulder surgery, but Jets coach Todd Bowles said he likes what he's seen so far in training camp." He’s a smart player, he’s a heady player, he takes care of his body, he communicates well," Bowles said Wednesday.Gilchrist says he is 100 percent physically now, and he doesn't feel he has any catching up to do."I was very in tune during OTAs and minicamp and just regular workouts -- already knew the playbook, knew where I needed to be, what calls I needed to make," Gilchrist said. "[The] only real adjustment is putting on pads and running around and changing directions for the first time basically, since I hadn’t done it in a football setting since December."Gilchrist was a cornerback when he entered the NFL out of Clemson. The Chargers converted him to safety, but still used him as a slot cornerback in nickel packages. In fact, he saw nearly as many snaps at slot cornerback last season (401) as he did at safety (507), according to ESPN Stats & Information.

That could benefit the Jets, too.

"In San Diego I did a lot," Gilchrist said. "I kind of like the versatility that I displayed there. So we’ll see."One area the Jets certainly need to improve in is covering tight ends -- they gave up a league-high 14 touchdown passes to tight ends last season.The AFC East features some very talented players at that position, including the Patriots' Rob Gronkowski, the Bills' Charles Clay and the Dolphins' Jordan Cameron. And Gilchrist is looking forward to going up against them."That’s what you play for, to play against the best guys in the world that there is," Gilchrist said. "I love competition."Gilchrist only has five interceptions in his first four NFL seasons. But he may have more opportunities to make big plays with cornerbacks like Revis and Cromartie on his side.He's trying to pick up a few pointers from his new teammates, too."It speaks for itself, what they’ve done, the things that they’ve accomplished," Gilchrist said. "I’m still trying to take notes and take heed of the things that they do or the things that they say. Because they’ve been doing it longer than I have, and I don’t try and get a big head and feel I know a whole bunch. [i'm] always trying to learn, and those are two really good guys who have played a long time."

It's a long way from San Diego to New York, but Gilchrist sounds very happy to be here."I used to come to New York all the time," Gilchrist said. "It’s not too much of a culture shock. I’m pretty adjustable, I can adjust to any situation or environment."

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/52740/marcus-gilchrist-jets-unsung-addition-to-secondary

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/6615/marcus-gilchrist

The Jets allowed a league-high 14 touchdown catches to tight ends last season.

That's why they brought in Marcus Gilchrist at free safety. The 26-year-old has already mastered the Jets' playbook and has impressed coaches with his versatility. Gilchrist will be asked to cover Rob Gronkowski, Charles Clay and Jordan Cameron this year in what should be a very competitive AFC East. He'll benefit from playing alongside top corners Darrelle Revis and Antonio Cromartie.

Good to know about his nickel experience

Also interesting to hear everyone (except Cro, lol) talking about how he & Pryor plan to do a little mixing & matching between FS & SS, to create some confusion to opposing QB's

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/6615/marcus-gilchrist

The Jets allowed a league-high 14 touchdown catches to tight ends last season.

That's why they brought in Marcus Gilchrist at free safety. The 26-year-old has already mastered the Jets' playbook and has impressed coaches with his versatility. Gilchrist will be asked to cover Rob Gronkowski, Charles Clay and Jordan Cameron this year in what should be a very competitive AFC East. He'll benefit from playing alongside top corners Darrelle Revis and Antonio Cromartie.

thank u 4 posting this ^ ^  ...!

Goooo Jets ! ! 

:character0181:

Eric Smith vs. Wes Welker

I assume they got Skrine to cover Welker, but I thought they were looking for Gilchrist to play roaming Ed Reed style S.  This article makes him seem like a S that they roll up to the slot.  I appreciate the versatility, but figured they could use Allen to man up TEs and play S with Skrine vs. your fidget WRs.  The lack of INTs makes it sound like GIlchrist did not do much roaming or was not very good at it. 

I was huge fan of Gilchrist in college and thought he was going to be a star.

Haven't seen him play much as a pro, but it sounds like he's been a little disappointing.

But I still have high hopes for him now that he's with Bowles and away from Weddle, who was playing the role Gilchrist should be playing.

I assume they got Skrine to cover Welker, but I thought they were looking for Gilchrist to play roaming Ed Reed style S. This article makes him seem like a S that they roll up to the slot. I appreciate the versatility, but figured they could use Allen to man up TEs and play S with Skrine vs. your fidget WRs. The lack of INTs makes it sound like GIlchrist did not do much roaming or was not very good at it.

I'd much rather see Skrine as well, but if he fails, I assume that's when Gilchrist lines up across Gronk.

Seems strange.  A safety that they move to cover the slot and expect to cover TEs?   That sounds like what you would do with Allen. 

Difference is that Allen's background was as a joker LB/S hybrid in South Carolina's defense whose strength as a safety is hitting.  CB was never in his skill set and he only got shifted there because there was nobody else.  Gilchrist was a CB in college; he's a better safety than a CB but he's played the position and his strength as a S is coverage

I assume they got Skrine to cover Welker, but I thought they were looking for Gilchrist to play roaming Ed Reed style S.  This article makes him seem like a S that they roll up to the slot.  I appreciate the versatility, but figured they could use Allen to man up TEs and play S with Skrine vs. your fidget WRs.  The lack of INTs makes it sound like GIlchrist did not do much roaming or was not very good at it. 

The question is what they do when they go big nickel (i.e. 3 S look), which is useful against 2TE, 1RB personnel. 

Difference is that Allen's background was as a joker LB/S hybrid in South Carolina's defense whose strength as a safety is hitting.  CB was never in his skill set and he only got shifted there because there was nobody else.  Gilchrist was a CB in college; he's a better safety than a CB but he's played the position and his strength as a S is coverage

Agreed.  My point was that I expected a guy that was rangy and good in space.  The fact that Gilchrist had so few picks and almost as many snaps in the slot as at S seems to indicate that he is not expected to play in space and range.  We have all been waiting for a center-fielder since we found out how slow Kerry Rhodes was.

Agreed.  My point was that I expected a guy that was rangy and good in space.  The fact that Gilchrist had so few picks and almost as many snaps in the slot as at S seems to indicate that he is not expected to play in space and range.  We have all been waiting for a center-fielder since we found out how slow Kerry Rhodes was.

Isn't that because SD already had that guy in Eric Weddle playing FS? 

I was huge fan of Gilchrist in college and thought he was going to be a star.

Haven't seen him play much as a pro, but it sounds like he's been a little disappointing.

But I still have high hopes for him now that he's with Bowles and away from Weddle, who was playing the role Gilchrist should be playing.

Marcus Gilchrist never played Fs for the Chargers( Eric Weddle). He was terrible in coverage at Ss, and I don't how they expect him to be any better in coverage at Fs( more space to cover) . Todd Bowles obviously feels different , and it will be worth seeing how he takes to Fs.

• 3 weeks later...

more re our S dept.  :

The man in Calvin Pryor’s mirror looks exactly the same as he did a year ago when the hype was sky high.

So, he speaks with a familiar candor and confidence. Nothing has changed even though so much around the second-year Jets safety is different now.Pryor’s forgettable rookie season prompted whispers that the Jets swung and missed on the Louisville Slugger (a nickname that he isn’t fond of, by the way). For all the expectations of bone-crunching hits and intimidation, Pryor wasn’t a difference maker due, in part, to circumstance.Cornerback deficiencies prompted Rex Ryan to employ more split-safety schemes, which moved Pryor, expected to instill fear closer to the line of scrimmage, to unfamiliar territory as a deep safety. The rookie never complained, but his frustration in private moments was palpable.

He did what he was asked without venting publicly. The results were predictable. Criticism followed, but his self-confidence hasn’t waned.“I couldn’t care less what other people think,” Pryor told The News. “At the end of the day, those guys are not paying my bills or helping me in any type of way. I’m coming out here and putting in the work. I believe in my ability and it’s always going to stay that way. . . . My confidence level is high.”It should be. Pryor has the requisite skill set to be the intimidating, game-changing presence that the previous regime thought he could be when it drafted him with the 18th pick in 2014. The new coaching staff has moved him back to a more familiar role closer to the line. Even though Pryor will have to show flexibility, he won’t be anchored 25 yards down the field like he was a year ago.“I can make a lot of impact,” said Pryor, who missed last week’s preseason victory over the Falcons due to a death in his family. “I got a lot of experience under my belt. I went through what I went through. It’s going to make me a better player at the end of the day.”Although it’s probably impossible to find another young player so resolute, Pryor admitted his introduction to the league tested his core beliefs. The negative vibe surrounding a 4-12 team was something he hopes never to relive.

“When you lose eight straight games, you’re going to have some negative thoughts and negative feelings,” Pryor said. “You just have to get through it. I’m a winner at heart. I’m used to winning. Once it gets back that way, my confidence level will go even higher.”The Jets’ offseason makeover in the secondary had an unintended effect: Pryor flew under the radar.While the organization grabbed headlines for signing Darrelle Revis, Antonio Cromartie, Buster Skrine and Marcus Gilchrist, Pryor quietly — and happily — faded to the background.Most first-round picks coming off a disappointing rookie season would have felt the heat (especially in this market), but Pryor has steered clear of much of it because of all the surrounding noise." I’m kind of glad that happened,” Pryor said. “I’m glad I flew under the radar, because I’ve always been under the radar. My name has never been out there. When I was at Louisville, it was about Teddy (Bridgewater) and the offense. You never heard that much about me. I’d like to keep it that way and just jump out on tape when they see the film.”

The early returns have been promising. Todd Bowles & Co. didn’t inherit a lost cause.Pryor had 60 tackles and a pair of passes defensed playing out of position last season. He can make a difference if used properly. The potential has been obvious to the new guys in charge from day one.“He’s everything that you want in a safety: He’s aggressive, he’s got size, he’s a good athlete,” defensive backs coach Joe Danna said. “Probably one thing that I didn’t know not having been around him is that he’s smart. He’s a good communicator. He picks up things quickly. You give it to him one time and he’s got it. That’s critical to playing the position.”He might not lack for self-confidence, but it isn’t where it needs to be on a 10-point scale yet. That must change.“It’s at an eight right now,” he said. “But once we play games and get rolling, I’m pretty sure it’ll go higher.”

The man in the mirror believes he’s capable of very big things.

> http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/mehta-jets-pryor-confident-rough-2014-article-1.2338563

Archived