The Current QB Depth Chart

JetNation

3 minutes ago, Powpow said:

If or if not Fitz signs, look for Mac to grab a vet to start while Hack sits.  Training camp is a few months away, there's still plenty of time to make moves at the QB position.  He doesn't seem to have any confidence in Petty being the back up right now. Maybe in 2017.  Geno still has one year on his contract and he's making bottom dollar.  At this point, Mac sees him a better option as the back up than Petty.  Even if he contributes to one win, if needed, it could be a big difference.  (ooops see Raider game).  He's nothing more than cheapo insurance.    

Not sure of what scenarios could transpire.  I assume we would go with 3 QB's this year on the active roster.  If Fitz signs then you now have 4 QB's.  Fitz starts, Geno backs up, Hack 3rd string, Petty on practice squad?  Or does he just cut Geno and let Petty and Hack back up.  Somethings gotta give. 

Who is available? 

Just now, joewilly12 said:

Who is available? 

Well I believe Hoyer and McGowan are both off the table so that boat has sailed.  If push comes to shove, Mac can always pluck someone off of waivers or trade for someone with a late pick. I am part of the majority that doesn't want Geno starting on this team. Nor do I believe Mac wants to go there since he's explored Hoyer and McGowan but continues to hold out for Fitz.  If he really  believed in Petty or Geno, there would never have been any hesitation on his part.  I would be shocked if 1) Fitz is not resigned, 2) he doesn't look for a vet to replace Fitz.  Hack shouldn't even be allowed on the sidelines this coming year.  He needs to learn, learn, learn without the pressure of being on the filed.       

3 minutes ago, Powpow said:

Well I believe Hoyer and McGowan are both off the table so that boat has sailed.  If push comes to shove, Mac can always pluck someone off of waivers or trade for someone with a late pick. I am part of the majority that doesn't want Geno starting on this team. Nor do I believe Mac wants to go there since he's explored Hoyer and McGowan but continues to hold out for Fitz.  If he really  believed in Petty or Geno, there would never have been any hesitation on his part.  I would be shocked if 1) Fitz is not resigned, 2) he doesn't look for a vet to replace Fitz.  Hack shouldn't even be allowed on the sidelines this coming year.  He needs to learn, learn, learn without the pressure of being on the filed.       

What vets are out there?

4 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

What vets are out there?

Not sure but I think if that's the route he takes, it would be a last minute thing where he comes to realize the Fitz reunion has been exasperated. There's always someone out there that would be cheap and wouldn't cost a high draft pick.  

because mac said that pre punch, geno was looking very good in camp.

hes cheap and at least a backup qb. we done have spare money beggars cant be choosers

besides we cant think playoffs this year so its a good year to experiment. i wouldnt mind seeing a little, mind you a taste of geno in a rebuild year.

i dont see how signing a low level vet that still has to learn the entire offense be considered sensible or so beneficial

7 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

because mac said that pre punch, geno was looking very good in camp.

hes cheap and at least a backup qb. we done have spare money beggars cant be choosers

besides we cant think playoffs this year so its a good year to experiment. i wouldnt mind seeing a little, mind you a taste of geno in a rebuild year.

i dont see how signing a low level vet that still has to learn the entire offense be considered sensible or so beneficial

Nice to know the team budgeted well for the most important position on the field...the Eagles have, what, 25 million between their top two QB's and just drafted a franchise quarterback...and the Jets, well...bargain basement shopping.

20 minutes ago, Powpow said:

Not sure but I think if that's the route he takes, it would be a last minute thing where he comes to realize the Fitz reunion has been exasperated. There's always someone out there that would be cheap and wouldn't cost a high draft pick.  

I understand the #nevergeno movement, but he's better than the street free agent that no one can name. 

12 minutes ago, UpstateJetsGuru said:

Nice to know the team budgeted well for the most important position on the field...the Eagles have, what, 25 million between their top two QB's and just drafted a franchise quarterback...and the Jets, well...bargain basement shopping.

patience love its a two year plan

16 hours ago, ChuckkieB said:

If Fitz doesn't re-sign, I don't think there's any way the Geno Smith starts game 1, no matter what the Jets brass is saying now. I think the job will be Hackenberg's to lose if Fitz isn't in the picture. Think about it for a second, does a second year coach and GM really want to hang their hats on Geno Smith???  I wouldn't.  I would much rather roll the dice with a rookie and hope they catch lightning in a bottle.  In a perfect world, Fitz re-signs, starts this year, and mentors Hackenberg,

I'm not saying that Fitz is a bad guy but I think sometimes people think there is more mentoring going on than really happens. These guys are much more worried about themselves than they are about helping some rookie who is trying to take their job. 

To my old, tired, beaten down eyes, our current QB depth chart looks like;

1. Larry

2. Mo

3. Curly

On a serious note I can't believe we are talking about Hackenberg seeing playing time this year. IMO he's a textbook project. Even more unbelievable though is the thought of Geno starting 16 games. Just waterboard me now...

I'm no big fan of Geno, but if the choice is between Geno and <insert JAG vet here> starting, I'll take Geno, thanks. He has had more time in the system, and I don't see a guy out there who would significantly increase our overall W total for the year. So glad Hoyer is off the table!

And no way do I want to see Hack starting this year - especially with the start to our season being as brutal as it is. Talk about "in at the deep end"!

I'd be uneasy with trading a pick for someone UNLESS we get a 2 year guy, and plan to sit Hack until at least the middle of next season. I know Glennon is a popular "let's go get this guy" but he's on the last year of his current deal, so would only be a cheap one-year option - not worth a decent draft pick IMHO.

Which brings me to my concern with Geno IF he is the starter this year. It means we are on a shorter timetable, whether we like it or not. Hack must be ready to go in 2017, otherwise we'll be back in the "hold the fort JAG vet" arena for yet another year, with no continuity. Fitz --> Geno --> JAG --> Hack would be painful.

Archived