Darron Lee's Freshman Highlights

David Harris

Considering they are moving him to ILB, he really reminds me of Bobby Wagner in terms of his coverage abilities and physical talent.  Their combine/workout stats are very similar, although Wagner is a better tackler.  Lee, would also be making an adjustment to a new position, but the closing speed is very similar.  I'm really excited about that aspect of his game, because too many times I've seen Jet defenders get close but can't close the deal because they were a hair slow.  

I'm not saying he's going to turn into Wagner, but they have very similar skill sets, and I think he's going to be a pretty exciting add to the defense.  

I like and understand the pick, but everything I've seen (had the MSU v OSU game on Big10 Network on just now) from him reminds me of Vilma being overwhelmed due to inferior size back in 2006 in Mangini's 3-4. Lee just kept getting tangled in the mess as a Weak-Side OLB by bigger OLineman or tackling the opposition after positive yardage has been gained. 

As mentioned, he fits the specs of the MODERN NFL ILB, so he SHOULD have a more direct line to the ball, but I wouldn't be surprised if there's a bit of a "transitional grace period" for him to be effective at the NFL level. He MUST, and will eventually, gain weight. I want to see some POP in his tackles. 

The game has changed and I have faith in our revamped scouting dept., Scout-oriented GM, and our former Defensive SB Champion player of a HC, but I would bet that our 3rd rounder Jenkins starts more games than Lee in 2016.  Hopefully Lee can simply be a catalyst with his speed allowing OTHERS to seep through and finish the play behind the LOS. 

Appreciate the Highlight reel. Fortifies my belief that it was a good pick despite some of my reservations. 

1 hour ago, Gas2No99 said:

I like and understand the pick, but everything I've seen (had the MSU v OSU game on Big10 Network on just now) from him reminds me of Vilma being overwhelmed due to inferior size back in 2006 in Mangini's 3-4. Lee just kept getting tangled in the mess as a Weak-Side OLB by bigger OLineman or tackling the opposition after positive yardage has been gained. 

As mentioned, he fits the specs of the MODERN NFL ILB, so he SHOULD have a more direct line to the ball, but I wouldn't be surprised if there's a bit of a "transitional grace period" for him to be effective at the NFL level. He MUST, and will eventually, gain weight. I want to see some POP in his tackles. 

The game has changed and I have faith in our revamped scouting dept., Scout-oriented GM, and our former Defensive SB Champion player of a HC, but I would bet that our 3rd rounder Jenkins starts more games than Lee in 2016.  Hopefully Lee can simply be a catalyst with his speed allowing OTHERS to seep through and finish the play behind the LOS. 

Appreciate the Highlight reel. Fortifies my belief that it was a good pick despite some of my reservations. 

It's a much different game today than when J Vilma was asked to play ilb in 3-4.( ask those ilb to do different things-  in there for their coverage ability.(passing league )   .   Teams protect these guys  with the monsters upright , so they don't see the traffic they normally would have seen in the running game.( with the Jets defenseline how many big offenseline man are going to be taking Darron Lee on.

I serious doubt the Jets are going to ask Darron Lee to put on that much more weight on .( will play in 235 range) .    This isn't sometime unique that the Jets are trying on defense , as this is the new trend around the league( so many of these Darron Lee type litter NFL roster , and it doesn't matter what defense they run.( was taboo once to play these smaller ilb type in the  3-4, not anymore) .

Yes the Jets might not see Darron Lee true impact his rookie year. ( talking coverage) . Doesn't have anything to do with his size or weight, but his experience .    Takes more than just running fast to be effective in coverage.  Bruce Carter will have a bigger impact in coverage next season , than Darron Lee .

darron Lee will make his mark on special teams, and shooting the gaps on defense. ( going to be very effective blitzer ).  

Early talk is that Jenkins is more likely to start than Lee, but that Lee will see a lot of time in sub packages. Considering that NFL defenses ran with five defensive backs (or more) nearly 2/3's of all snaps last year, I suspect we'll see a lot of Lee. I don't think his size is an issue, as he will be more of this modern linebacker/safety hybrid than pure LB. They'll be more concerned about him maintaining his speed than adding to his size. He'll drop into coverage, rush the passer, spy wheel routes. Harris will continue to be the point of attack ILB in the running game, Lee is here to be disruptive in all aspects of the passing game. 

Looking forward to these guys, and Mauldin in his second year, really revamping our big, old, and slow LB corps. 

3 hours ago, Raideraholic said:

It's a much different game today than when J Vilma was asked to play ilb in 3-4.( ask those ilb to do different things-  in there for their coverage ability.(passing league )   .   Teams protect these guys  with the monsters upright , so they don't see the traffic they normally would have seen in the running game.( with the Jets defenseline how many big offenseline man are going to be taking Darron Lee on.

I serious doubt the Jets are going to ask Darron Lee to put on that much more weight on .( will play in 235 range) .    This isn't sometime unique that the Jets are trying on defense , as this is the new trend around the league( so many of these Darron Lee type litter NFL roster , and it doesn't matter what defense they run.( was taboo once to play these smaller ilb type in the  3-4, not anymore) .

Yes the Jets might not see Darron Lee true impact his rookie year. ( talking coverage) . Doesn't have anything to do with his size or weight, but his experience .    Takes more than just running fast to be effective in coverage.  Bruce Carter will have a bigger impact in coverage next season , than Darron Lee .

darron Lee will make his mark on special teams, and shooting the gaps on defense. ( going to be very effective blitzer ).  

Not only do we play multiple fronts but even in the 3-4 we play mostly 2 gap. The difference between Rex and Bowels is that the Dline attacks while the LBs read and react. With Rex the Dline read, and the LBs attacked gaps. We need more speed and acceleration now since the MLBs are not playing downhill as much. It will take some time though for Lee to learn where to direct that speed which is why he'll play on passing downs initially. 

Comparing Bowels 3-4 to MAngini's is apples to apple pie. Really 3 DTs standing up their man with 4 DEs cleaning up to prevent any big plays. Bend don't break boring defense. 

5 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

Hes listed as a ILB but with that  amazing speed this kid is going to line up all over the field and wreak havoc In Bowles Blitzing defense

This is exactly why he was drafted. Speed, athleticism and versatility. The fact that he has great work ethic, doesn't get in trouble, great character and leadership, and has a great nose for the ball is why he didn't slip out of the first round.  

He isn't an ILB. He is a PLAYMAKER. He will shoot the gap to disrupt the run game- he has a knack for it despite his size/strength or what haveyou- you will read this on most scouting profiles. He is not yet very skilled at it, but he has been used by OSU in coverage effectively- both zone and man. This is probably the most important skill he will have to hone at the next level. He has the speed and athleticism to run sideline to sideline. Will have to work on wrapping up the tackle and taking better angles. He can rush the passer off the edge or blitz the passer up the middle. And having a great nose for the ball, he can also just be a 'roamer' or spy and clean things up. 

To me, he has the potential to be at WORST a jack of all trades master of none and at BEST a versatile every-down ILB. Time will tell. And I'm not at all concerned with his size.

But let's hear from Mainejet.

Image result for eyeroll

Funny people call him small and look at that as an Issue. Keep in mind, how many disruptive safties there have been in this league over the years and add 20 pounds to that and you have a hybrid LB/Safety that will grow and get stronger in an NFL program. No problems with Size here at all. Once you do that then look at the type of Defense Bowles likes to run and he fits perfectly, I'm very excited to see this kid on the next level.

Archived