Only Woody can fix Jets

Ex-Rex

The only way this dysfunctional bunch of characters, actors and outright malingerers will become a quality NFL team is when Woody Johnson decides to let it be. He needs to hire a football president to oversee the organization and have Bowles and Mac report to him. He then has to set a "chain of command" in place where everyone knows who is who's boss. Right now does anyone know who the boss is on this team? I don't. Can Maccagnan fire Bowles (as I would like to see)? Or can only Woody fire him? The same for the assistant coaches. I am sure Bowles can fire them if he so chooses but he is a gutless wonder that I cannot believe comes from a Parcells / Arians coaching tree. He is a clone of Rex Ryan on the sideline while Chan Gailey plays mad scientist with the offense. Oh, run game working to the tune of 10.0 yards per carry? Scrap that, not sexy enough, it won't get me another shot at HC job. Neither will going pass happy with an inaccurate, indecisive QB. Somebody has to step in and tell Bowles the season is over and it is time to set Fitz aside and test drive ONE of our young QB's. I know he isn't going to do that as he thinks the season is salvagable while 99 percent of Jets fans know that it is over.

2 minutes ago, Ex-Rex said:

The only way this dysfunctional bunch of characters, actors and outright malingerers will become a quality NFL team is when Woody Johnson decides to let it be. He needs to hire a football president to oversee the organization and have Bowles and Mac report to him. He then has to set a "chain of command" in place where everyone knows who is who's boss. Right now does anyone know who the boss is on this team? I don't. Can Maccagnan fire Bowles (as I would like to see)? Or can only Woody fire him? The same for the assistant coaches. I am sure Bowles can fire them if he so chooses but he is a gutless wonder that I cannot believe comes from a Parcells / Arians coaching tree. He is a clone of Rex Ryan on the sideline while Chan Gailey plays mad scientist with the offense. Oh, run game working to the tune of 10.0 yards per carry? Scrap that, not sexy enough, it won't get me another shot at HC job. Neither will going pass happy with an inaccurate, indecisive QB. Somebody has to step in and tell Bowles the season is over and it is time to set Fitz aside and test drive ONE of our young QB's. I know he isn't going to do that as he thinks the season is salvagable while 99 percent of Jets fans know that it is over.

If fans were willing to say that they would still come to games if the Jets were rebuilding, I'm sure that Woody would ask for a full rebuild.

Just now, UnitedWhofans said:

If fans were willing to say that they would still come to games if the Jets were rebuilding, I'm sure that Woody would ask for a full rebuild.

The trouble is the ARE rebuilding. But they are doing so under the false impression that they can stay competitive while doing it. Wrong.

2 minutes ago, Ex-Rex said:

The trouble is the ARE rebuilding. But they are doing so under the false impression that they can stay competitive while doing it. Wrong.

I mean a FULL rebuild. I'm talking stripping the whole team bare and starting again. Idzik tried to do it and got run out in 2 years

It all goes back to the fanbase and their impatience. Look at Oakland. They sucked for 4 years under Reggie Mackenzie and now they have a good team. Patience works.

Jets fan are not patient so they wont go to games during a rebuilding season because they are in a place where there is another option. WHich is why I have said for awhile that the Jets need to move and go to a place where they are top dog and the big ticket in town so that they can build a team the right way

Woody wont do it because the fans wont come out. So the root of the problem is the fanbase.

6 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

I mean a FULL rebuild. I'm talking stripping the whole team bare and starting again. Idzik tried to do it and got run out in 2 years

It all goes back to the fanbase and their impatience. Look at Oakland. They sucked for 4 years under Reggie Mackenzie and now they have a good team. Patience works.

Jets fan are not patient so they wont go to games during a rebuilding season because they are in a place where there is another option. WHich is why I have said for awhile that the Jets need to move and go to a place where they are top dog and the big ticket in town so that they can build a team the right way

Woody wont do it because the fans wont come out. So the root of the problem is the fanbase.

Oakland fans weren't patient either which is why the owner is moving to Las Vegas. I don't think it will get that bad for the Jets - there IS talent here, but we have to have a coach who recognizes players who "act" like they are paying hard (Pryor) and those who actually do. Plus, he must have some offensive acumen to take the elevator to the OC's booth and kick his sorry a$$ for lousy play calling.

3 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

I said this before. there are 3 possible solutions

1. The Jets get a new owner

2. The fanbase wises up

3. The Jets move to a new location

Woody Johnson isn't selling the team 

The fan base has had enough fans need to boycott home games and get those banners and billboards back up 

Moving fixes nothing 

3 minutes ago, Ex-Rex said:

Oakland fans weren't patient either which is why the owner is moving to Las Vegas. I don't think it will get that bad for the Jets - there IS talent here, but we have to have a coach who recognizes players who "act" like they are paying hard (Pryor) and those who actually do. Plus, he must have some offensive acumen to take the elevator to the OC's booth and kick his sorry a$$ for lousy play calling.

I think it's worse. Magnified by New York's media presence. We need to move and the fact that the Raiders are moving to Vegas makes it even more apparent to me.

The other team that looked like it was going to move was Jacksonville. What happened? They got a new owner

4 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

I said this before. there are 3 possible solutions

1. The Jets get a new owner

2. The fanbase wises up

3. The Jets move to a new location

There is a fourth solution. Woody Johnson hires a team president (or whatever title he chooses to give him) that will ct as a buffer between him and his HC and GM. Because Woody Johnson is NOT someone I want trying to solve football related problems on the team. I have no suggestions for who that guy could be but someone like Mike Shanahan might be interested. He is knowledgable and has won the SB so he could be a solution. 

Just now, Ex-Rex said:

There is a fourth solution. Woody Johnson hires a team president (or whatever title he chooses to give him) that will ct as a buffer between him and his HC and GM. Because Woody Johnson is NOT someone I want trying to solve football related problems on the team. I have no suggestions for who that guy could be but someone like Mike Shanahan might be interested. He is knowledgable and has won the SB so he could be a solution. 

HE's had the chance and he hasn't done it. I'm not holding my breath for that

Just now, UnitedWhofans said:

HE's had the chance and he hasn't done it. I'm not holding my breath for that

Until he does, this is what the Jets will look like. Bowles is afraid to make a move of any kind and Mac doesn't have the power to remove him. It's a bad marriage that cannot last long. I think Mac will want out pretty soon leaving us with Brillo face and his uncomprehending stare.

1 minute ago, Ex-Rex said:

Until he does, this is what the Jets will look like. Bowles is afraid to make a move of any kind and Mac doesn't have the power to remove him. It's a bad marriage that cannot last long. I think Mac will want out pretty soon leaving us with Brillo face and his uncomprehending stare.

Todd Brillo face Bowles :D Not only coaches bad but looks bad as well. I dont care if it is no shave November clean that sh*t up!

1 minute ago, Ex-Rex said:

Instead of spending money on billboards, use that money to buy the team, like Green Bay did

Woody Johnson needs to stop shopping for football minded people in at yard sales and open up the checkbook and bring on the best of the best no other regime trying to move forward and win its fan base back signs a 34 year old bum QB and for that Macc needs to be fired and Bowles right behind him for sticking with him, 

We need and deserve change. 

Woody has a much chance of fixing the Jets as I do of beating Usain Bolt in a sprint race.  Instead, he should fire both Mac and Bowles immediately, and have Jets Nation hoid a raffle to see who among us should run this sorry franchise  for the rest of the season.  This way he avoids being fined by the FTC (I hear Comey is looking into this too) for fraudently misreprenting the NY Jets to its fans as an actual NFL team.

I believe that the Jets organizational structure is leading directly to their dysfunction.

As Dan Leberfeld as intimated, it does appear that the players the Jets keep and play are not those based on merit, but based on politics.  The Jets stick with players, draft picks, staff and coaches that they owe money too.  The players realize that the team is politically corrupt and lose motivation.

Bowles has no real football person to answer to or to mentor/guide him, so he continues to bumble along.  We all have jobs-can you imagine someone else being this bad week after week and doing very little to fix it?

I have another question.  Macc reports to Woody, and it is his money.  Macc was a scout for 20 years.  He never managed money, the budget, the salary cap, etc.  Who was behind the decisions to pay Fitz and give Mo a long-term contract coming off a broken leg?  Who actually resisted extending Mo when he was a bright young star?  There were three choices there-either extend early, trade for a better pick than the comp or let him sign elsewhere for a comp pick. The Jet choose their option?  Who was driving that?  What do the Patriots and Broncos do in those situations?

Who was driving what "fair compensation" was in a Mo or SR trade?  Look what the Patriots get for their picks?  Players who need $80mm contracts are not worth much-the value is in an underpaid player who is incentivized for a big contract?  No other team "owed" the Jets anything for Mo.     Not being able to move SR?  There isn't another team that could use a versatile DL that should be motivated?  From a team whose season is lost for a player who needs to be paid next year?

You can see Macc's work-the draft picks (for good and bad), UDFAs, savvy trades.  Woody is approving those based on Macc's reports, but that is Macc's work.  The big signings are Woody.  Fitz was signed as a business decision because the Jets made the call that they had too many veterans already on the roster to not make a credible run.  John Elway knew that Fitz was not the answer there.  And because they decided to sign Fitz, they had to give Mo a contract to lower his cap number.   I think Macc had the right idea but was overruled.  Darron Lee-not a horrible pick, but definitely a joint decision of Macc, Bowles and Woody-he was deemed the missing piece that makes the Jets much better in 2016.  My guess is that they just did not like Paxton Lynch because he was too immature for NY, like Mark Sanchez.  A judgment call you can't argue with, and they must have thought that Hack would not be available in the 3rd.  I think they would have picked Jenkins in the second, so they could have theoretically gotten the same players with inverted picks.

Woody cannot be the person that Macc and Bowles answers to directly.  Neil Glat does not cut it either.  They need someone with football smarts paid to produce a good football team (with a 3+ year contract) to add input into that equation.  Woody and Glat can sit in the meetings and decide if they need more short-term juice to assuage the fans.

But in the end, if Fitz only cost $7mm that was more palatable.  The $5mm he costs in 2017 will cost someone in addition to him his job.   

Woody wants to win and has put his money where his mouth is re contracts.  the biggest issue I see is no good solid, older, experienced, veteran NFL an between the owner and actual football operations.

You should;t be hiring korn-ferry or some ex nfl coaches/gms to do hiring searches for important positions.  He should be hiring a senior football person to do all of that.  Senior football person reports to Woody, senior football person hires the Gm and those two co-op hire the coach.  Imo we are seeing problems between Mac and Bowles already.  They are getting along and think each other are good but some players we have drafted are not being made the best use of due to the style of coaching,

Archived