QB to TE convert Jason Vander Laan turning heads at Jets training camp

Gas2No99

Jason Vander Laan turning heads at Jets training camp

Jets tight end Jason Vander Laan (85) runs a drill during their organized team activities at the Atlantic Health Jets Training Center. (Ed Mulholland | USA TODAY Sports)

Jets tight end Jason Vander Laan (85) runs a drill during their organized team activities at the Atlantic Health Jets Training Center. (Ed Mulholland | USA TODAY Sports)

FLORHAM PARK -- His 6-5, 252-pound frame make him easy enough to spot on the field. And once you do, Jason Vander Laan looks like any other tight end out there.

He runs routes. He catches passes. He blocks. Occasionally, he'll score. He's no Travis Kelce or Rob Gronkowski, but through the Jets' first 11 training camp practices, he looks very much like he belongs. 

Not bad for a guy who started playing the position 19 months ago.

"I'm happy with where I'm at," Vander Laan told NJ Advance Media on Thursday.

Vander Laan began playing football when he was four years old. From the time he stepped on the field, to when he graduated Ferris State in 2015, he played quarterback. And he wasn't too bad, either. He gave an offense a dual-threat at the position. He could stretch the field with his strong arm, or run over defenders with his imposing frame.

In college, Vander Laan threw for 8,240 yards with 85 touchdowns and had a cumulative quarterback rating of 150.5. He ran for another 5,953 yards and 81 touchdowns. He left as college football's all-time leader in rushing yards by a quarterback, and the first player in NCAA history to run and pass for 1,000 yards in four consecutive seasons.

The gaudy accolades put Vander Laan on the map of several NFL teams ... but no one could figure out what he'd translate to at the next level. Some felt quarterback, others H-back, and a few tight end. So, as Vander Laan began training at the Chip Smith Performance System in Atlanta, Georgia, he prepared for it all.

"I honestly didn't know what was going to happen," Vander Laan said. "We would train five days a week, and four would be spent doing positional drills. So I'd train as a tight end for two days, then a quarterback for the other two."

Vander Laan kept that routine going from the end of December, up until Northwestern's Pro Day the second week of January. Representatives from each NFL team were in attendance. Thirty of which were interested in seeing Vander Laan play tight end. Just two wanted to see him throw.

So ... he made a decision.

"From that point on, I was like, 'I guess I'm going to be a tight end,'" Vander Laan said, laughing.

After going undrafted -- which was expected -- Vander Laan signed with the Jets. He picked them over the Redskins because he believed they represented the best opportunity for success. In rookie minicamp, organized team activities, minicamp and training camp, he had moments, but was clearly still a developmental project.

He was a good athlete, sure, but not an NFL player. Vander Laan admitted the first time he ever blocked anyone was when he showed up to One Jets Drive.

On Aug. 28, during the 75-man roster trim, Vander Laan was cut. While disappointed, he wasn't ready to give up his dream of playing in the NFL. He kept working. Four months later, the Jets added him to their practice squad. He impressed enough on scout team that they signed him to a reserve/future contract after the season. 

Vander Laan then took it upon himself to make sure he wouldn't be let go again.

A Frankfort, Illinois native, he made the 52-minute drive north to the Total Performance Factory, a training center many NFL players congregate at, in the offseason. Each day, he'd split up his time. He'd practice route running and catching with the receivers, then blocking with the offensive linemen. 

The hard work looks to have paid off. Vander Laan appeared legitimately improved in organized team activities and minicamp this year, which has since translated to training camp. On Tuesday, he had a toe-tapping catch on an out-route from quarterback Josh McCown. Later, he pulled in a deep ball down the seam from Christian Hackenberg

The coaches are taking notice. Vander Laan received some work with the first-team offense earlier in the week. 

"He understands it more," coach Todd Bowles said. "He is ready to go, and he's been doing the right things. I just want to see him in game action and see how much better he's gotten."

White wants to make Jets his home

There's a tight end spot open on the roster. Austin Seferian-Jenkins is suspended the first two games of the season, and the Jets will need someone to play opposite rookie Jordan Leggett. Vander Laan is competing for that position with veterans Eric Tomlinson and Chris Gragg.

When the Jets open the preseason this Saturday against the Tennessee Titans, he'll have an opportunity to show he has more upside than the two.

And he believes he will. Last year, he was wide-eyed rookie learning a new position and new playbook on the highest level. He wanted a roster spot, but understood it was a pipe dream. This year is different.

This year, Vander Laan says, he's ready.

"If I'm not out here trying to make the roster, I'm just wasting my time," he said. "My mindset changed a lot this offseason. This year, I've come in with the full expectation that I'm going to make this team."

So far, he looks like he should. 

15 hours ago, Gas2No99 said:

After going undrafted -- which was expected -- Vander Laan signed with the Jets. He picked them over the Redskins because he believed they represented the best opportunity for success. In rookie minicamp, organized team activities, minicamp and training camp, he had moments, but was clearly still a developmental project.

Translation: the Jets have the sh*ttiest TE's in the NFL.

Archived