JetNation 8/22 Tuesday Tidbits

JetNation

IMG_1171-1-1.jpg

A few notes, thoughts and links to previous articles on Gang Green to pass along:

• A previously unforeseen camp battle for the starting center job has emerged according to head coach Todd Bowles between incumbent Wesley Johnson and free agent addition Jonnotthan Harrison.  Should Harrison win the job, Johnson would become a valuable back-up on the O-line, but given the way the Jets made every effort to cut costs this off-season, would Mike Maccagnan be so bold to let him go?  Johnson’s contract is structured in such a way that all of is $2,746,000 salary would be a cap savings with no hit.  Cutting Johnson would be a foolish move, but that didn’t stop Gang Green from dumping Eric Decker.
  • Cornerback Juston Burris has looked good throughout camp and in each of the team’s two pre-season games, but keep an eye on him when matched up against receivers with elite speed.  Burris has been burned consistently when matched up against Robby Anderson at Florham Park.
IMG_8244-300x266.jpg

Bryce Petty has outplayed Christian Hackenberg through two preseason games.

• Through two games, Bryce Petty has clearly outplayed Christian Hackenberg, but critics are quick to remind us that it shouldn’t be taken too seriously given the fact that Petty’s performance has come against second and third-string defensive players. A valid point.  However, what should that say about Hackenberg, who completed roughly 40% of his passes against second and third stringers last pre-season?
  • If Dexter McDougle continues to outplay Buster Skrine, it’s time for Todd Bowles to stop playing guys based on salary and/or draft slot, and give McDougle the nod.
  • Little is known about Jets D-lineman Claude Pelon who played sparingly as a USC transfer due to injuries and depth along the D-line, but the undrafted free agent who spent last year on IR appears to be climbing the depth chart.  After some late reps against the Titans, Pelon got some first team run against the Lions.
  • Unlikley that it’ll carry over in to the regular season, but lost in all the hysteria of Christian Hackenberg’s outing last week against the Lions, left guard James Carpenter had a handful of plays where we saw him walked back in to the pocket much more than we’ve come to expect.  Something worth keeping an eye on.
  • Doug Middleton’s injury opens the door for another safety to step up and steal a roster spot.  He’s been quiet and missed some time in camp, but Shamarko Thomas looked solid against the Lions.
  • According to Todd Bowles, there are still three spots on the O-line up for grabs (LT,C,RT).  It’s unlikely, but if those jobs were to be won by Ben Ijalana, Jonnotthan Harrison and Brent Qvale respectively, it wouldn’t bode well for Mike Maccagnan, who signed Kelvin Beachum to big money, re-signed Wesley Johnson, and drafted Brandon Shell, the three players who will have lost those competitions.  Of course Maccagnan would also have acquired the starters in that scenario, but two of the three (Ijalana, Qvale) would be holdovers from the previous regime.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
9VnZMKWhDn8

Click here to read the full story...

Conner Hughes said Robby beat Burris again today.  I like the guy, but starting to worry about the fact that he's not getting a jam at the line on these speedy receivers.

6 minutes ago, MTJ06 said:

Hackenberg was a rookie last year, is petty a rookie this year?

Moot point.  Hack was so coveted because he had experience in a pro-style offense.

Petty didn't know what  Mike linebacker was when he was drafted and played in a video game scheme that's essentially a completely different game than NFL football.

Out of the gate, Hack should've been several steps ahead of Petty, so much so that a one-season head start should've been a negligible difference.

6 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Moot point.  Hack was so coveted because he had experience in a pro-style offense.

Petty didn't know what  Mike linebacker was when he was drafted and played in a video game scheme that's essentially a completely different game than NFL football.

Out of the gate, Hack should've been several steps ahead of Petty, so much so that a one-season head start should've been a negligible difference.

Not a moot point. To compare what Hack did last year in the preseason as a rookie to what Petty is doing this year with multiple years experience and after starting games in the NFL is not a fair comparison.

2 minutes ago, MTJ06 said:

Not a moot point. To compare what Hack did last year in the preseason as a rookie to what Petty is doing this year with multiple years experience and after starting games in the NFL is not a fair comparison.

To each his own.  Bottom line is Petty has been infinitely better throughout camp.  If Petty gets a shot with the 1's and he sucks, so be it.  If you're gonna' see what Hack can do, you've gotta see what Petty can do.

2 minutes ago, AFJF said:

To each his own.  Bottom line is Petty has been infinitely better throughout camp.  If Petty gets a shot with the 1's and he sucks, so be it.  If you're gonna' see what Hack can do, you've gotta see what Petty can do.

I agree. My point about the article above was there was no need to make the negative point about Hack to prove a point about Pettys play. All that needed to be said was exactly what you posted here.

17 minutes ago, MTJ06 said:

What isn't fair is Hack getting force fed to the team when it is clear to many, players and fans alike, that Petty is a better player.

So much bias in that article. Hacks performances in college and LAST preseason are completely irrelevant.

Decker was dumped because of team chemistry.

Hack is at 58% this preseason. He had a rough game. The OL was AWFUL. The performance does not matter, it is his reaction that matters.

Also, Petty has not clearly outplayed Hack this preseason. Hack has generally been sharper in practice, Petty outplayed Hack by a good margin last game, and Hack outplayed him first game.

As long as either Hack or Petty start I am OK. I will pop a vein in my forehead if McClown starts.

3 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

So much bias in that article. Hacks performances in college and LAST preseason are completely irrelevant.

Hack is at 58% this preseason. He had a rough game. The OL was AWFUL. The performance does not matter, it is his reaction that matters.

Also, Petty has not clearly outplayed Hack this preseason. Hack has generally been sharper in practice, Petty outplayed Hack by a good margin last game, and Hack outplayed him first game.

As long as either Hack or Petty start I am OK. I will pop a vein in my forehead if McClown starts.

Completely disagree with camp performance.  

Hack has been wildly inconsistent.  Petty hasn't been perfect, but his passes are consistently crisper and more accurate.

21 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

I'd agree w/this. There's 0 correlation between the Decker & WJohnson situations. I don't understand the cutting WJ anyway. Jets aren't in cap hell

Havent read anyone say Petty has clearly outplayed Hack. AP Dennis Wazak recently said it was Josh, Hack and then Petty. 

32 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

What isn't fair is Hack getting force fed to the team when it is clear to many, players and fans alike, that Petty is a better player.

Petty is getting his reps now. Coaches had plenty of opportunity to see what Petty could do last year, so why not look at Hack.

Well it looks like McCown will start...

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Hey Jets Nation-pretty heavy article.

• Let's see how Johnson does.  This may be a diversion/incentive scheme.  Like alot of the Jets, he only has a one year contract.
  • Robby Anderson can run by Sherman.  Burris should be ok, but the Jets are apparently running a safety heavy cb light scheme.
  • Petty and Hack are basically the same, more or less.    Some pros and cons.
  • Skrine is a disappointment waiting to happen.  Get DM involved more.
  • Play Pelon.  Trade McClendon.
  • Carpenter was looking at the Holy Grail of the 3rd Contract.  Can he say "Craig Watts."
  • I leave it to the coaches to figure out if its Shamarko or Martin.
  • i am not worrying about the OL anymore.  If it is broke, Mac should be fired.  It is his primary job.

11 hours ago, johnnysd said:

I'd like to see Hack or Petty start also, but I have a feeling you'll be popping a vein. ?

13 hours ago, RoadFan said:

Many fans can think that Petty is better, but that could still mean the majority think Hack is better.

14 hours ago, MTJ06 said:

Bryce Petty as a rookie in exhibition games:  60% completion, 1 td, 0 ints

Christian Hackenburg as a rookie in ex games"  36% completion, 1 td, 2 ints

4 hours ago, MaxAF said:

I'd like to see Hack or Petty start also, but I have a feeling you'll be popping a vein. ?

I do too, but the last 2 days of TC give me a glimmer of hope. The conspiracy theorist in me says that Bowles was "directed" last Wednesday or Thursday to start a young guy (remember, it costs the Jets money as well every game McClown starts) and he is in massive catch up mode to choose someone. I think the players (from interviews when SiriusXM was there) prefer Petty so I actually think Petty may become the surprise starter. I like what I see from Petty, it's his duability not has development that worries me the most.

10 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Bryce Petty as a rookie in exhibition games:  60% completion, 1 td, 0 ints

Christian Hackenburg as a rookie in ex games"  36% completion, 1 td, 2 ints

Preseason stats are meaningless

Here are a few reasons

Petty was 24 years of age, Hack was 21

While they had an almost identical number of PA, petty 45 and Hack 47,  37 of Pettys came in the first 2 preseason games, and 8 came in game 3 while all of Hacks came in games 3 and 4 where people are typically fighting for jobs.

Hack got very few reps in camp last year as we were carrying 4 qbs, in petty s rookie year it was only fitz and petty getting most of the reps after geno broke his jaw.

Then you can also get into what units they were playing with and against.....Who knows?

The point is we should be rooting for both of these guys to succeed...

They should start Petty because he seems to be the QB with the most Moxie. You can't judge Petty last year as the Jets Oline & entire offense was injured.

i was concerned with his inability to deal with the rain & a wet ball, but there's just something about Petty that tells me with just a little bit of confidence & his strong arm he'll be able to make some splash plays and maybe this new offensive staff can teach him to protect the ball. 

For the life of me, I don't understand why Bowles starts Hackenberg with the 2nd Oline & not all starters? Why? You have to see snaps by QBs that are apples to apples to properly access their play.

Put Dak Prescott behind the Jets line vs Detroit in that same scenario & I doubt he's gonna have any success. None of our QBs will have any success if the Oline can't get a push in the running game & shorten these 2nd & 3rd downs. Penalties & losses on downs by an offense is a death knell for young QBs in this league. 

On 8/22/2017 at 8:45 PM, MTJ06 said:

I agree. My point about the article above was there was no need to make the negative point about Hack to prove a point about Pettys play. All that needed to be said was exactly what you posted here.

Or, you could just say that Hackenberg has never looked against first, second, or third teamers. 

Archived