Mafia Game Thread--The Thing

SMC

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

RULES:

Absolutely NO out-of-thread communications may be either entirely or partially quoted, screen-capped or in any other way directly provided within the game thread (summaries of PMs for purposes of role reveals is allowed, however).

Similarly, You may not reveal the name you were provided with, not even a hint in the slightest degree.

We all know what the spirit of the game is, and we all know when certain actions, even if not expressly forbidden, fall outside of the spirit of the game. For purposes of this game, I have commissioner of baseball like powers to sanction conduct that violates the spirit of the game, even if not expressly forbidden, up to and including modkilling the player and lying in their role reveal. If you have any question at all whether something you plan to do crosses the line, ask me first. This is your one and only warning.

Format: We will be running a normal mafia format with lynches during the day and night actions during the night. Days will run for 72 hours or until a majority is reached (unvoting after a majority will not count) - but Day 1 will not have a deadline unless there is a need for it. Night will end in 24 hours or when I receive all night actions

RULES:

Absolutely NO out-of-thread communications may be either entirely or partially quoted, screen-capped or in any other way directly provided within the game thread (summaries of PMs for purposes of role reveals is allowed, however).

SMC is enforcing the SMC rule! :D

Setup sounds awesome....

Not sure what you mean by the SMC rule.... but agreed, the setup seems cool.

The rule was always just don't quote mod pm's.. So in one game mr lawyer SMC thought he found a loophole and posted screencaps of pm's from the mod (me). All hell broke loose behind the scenes, and the thus the SMC rule was born to state the rules in a much more explicit fashion.

Basically, don't try to quote or screencap pms. Also, do your best to avoid talking about your pms as much as possible. That's not to say you never should reveal a role (unless the mod explicitly says don't role reveal)

Game Flavor is nice but it wrecks the game when people gauge each other's innocence based on what PM they received or didn't receive. That's not really how the game is meant to be played.

Since we are getting started today. I am going to put this out there to be "on the record" before we have our roles assigned... so its obvious there is nothing to read into it.

I have Red Sox / Yankees tickets tomorrow, and my friend and his wife will be up visiting with my God Daughter. So my participation will be sparse tomorrow night into Thursday morning.

Since we are getting started today. I am going to put this out there to be "on the record" before we have our roles assigned... so its obvious there is nothing to read into it.

I have Red Sox / Yankees tickets tomorrow, and my friend and his wife will be up visiting with my God Daughter. So my participation will be sparse tomorrow night into Thursday morning.

Scum

For clarification purposes, since I know rules are often just copied and pasted from game to game, are those the deadlines we're sticking with? (72 hrs day, 24 hrs night). Not that I have a problem with it, just figured I'd ask in case it was just an oversight.

Those are outside deadlines.

With my Baseball Commish powers I'll shorten or extend the periods accordingly.

This caught my eye in the opening scene:

Without anyone but the victim knowing, this thing can assimilate a research team member day or night. The thing is not only a threat to the team members, but all of humanity.

Can the mafia "assimilate" a townie during the day phase? Or is this just flavor?

and this:

But be warned, research team, there are human members among you that may be an ally or ultimately an enemy.

I know SMC is of the position that a vig can be dangerous to the town, but this definitely suggests that there's a SK, traitor, symp, survivor, etc., amongst us.

The assimilation thing makes me wonder if we're starting out with a two, rather than three-man scum team.

That's all I've got for now. :)

I just want to say "hello" and its a pleasure to be playing in what looks to be an exciting game with a bunch of distinguished gentlemen.

A couple of things I need to get out of the way...

I <3 Crusher, he's my muffin top.

Ih8 CTM, he sucks at life.

Danx is my squeeze, so back off dip****s.

I just want to say "hello" and its a pleasure to be playing in what looks to be an exciting game with a bunch of distinguished gentlemen.

A couple of things I need to get out of the way...

I <3 Crusher, he's my muffin top.

Ih8 CTM, he sucks at life.

Danx is my squeeze, so back off dip****s.

I thought I had a monopoly on half-asians here.

Unvote

Vote: JiF

Can the mafia "assimilate" a townie during the day phase? Or is this just flavor?

and this:

Either that's flavor for a NK or they can actually convert like a cult. Or maybe the thing is a cult and their is also scum...

I know SMC is of the position that a vig can be dangerous to the town, but this definitely suggests that there's a SK, traitor, symp, survivor, etc., amongst us.

The assimilation thing makes me wonder if we're starting out with a two, rather than three-man scum team.

points towards a cult like entity imo..

and this:

Glad you posted this. I noticed the same 2 "hints" if you will and I am scratching my head while looking over the wiki trying to figure out what they could mean.

My thoughts were that there was a role that was something like this:

Double-agent roles

So with your expertise on balancing numbers, do you think there's just a cult or a cult and small scum team?

Can work with either.. Depends on how powerful the town/scum is, what the recruitment odds are, etc..

Based on SMC's post, i'm going to guess that the thing is scum, and scum is cultlike or maybe has a kill/convert option. If they can do both in 1 day, the town should be loaded to combat

I thought I had a monopoly on half-asians here.

Unvote

Vote: JiF

How many times do I have to tell you that I'm into Half-Asians, my ex was half Jap and that I find your wife very attractive yet have no clue what she's doing with you?

Archived