Cotchery: "It was time to move on"

Blackout

he's just being a baby....now he's in a worse scenario in PITT...lol

Former New York Jets wide receiver Jerricho Cotchery, commenting for the first time since his surprising release last week, confirmed Sunday that he wanted out because he didn't see himself in the team's plans.

"It was time for a change, time for a change of scenery for myself and the organization as well," Cotchery told the Pittsburgh media. "It was time to move on. Future-wise, I didn't really see myself fitting in.

"People on the outside looking in might say, 'Well, you been there that long, you're part of the future,' but I didn't really see it that way. I think it would have been beneficial for both sides to move on."

Cotchery, 29, was released Aug. 4 after seven seasons with the Jets, and eventually landed with the Steelers. Initially, there was speculation that the Jets cut ties with him because they were pursuing former Baltimore Ravens wide receiver Derrick Mason, whom they eventually signed. But coach Rex Ryan claimed that Cotchery had requested to be traded or released.

Once the Jets signed Plaxico Burress, the Jets granted Cotchery's agent permission to seek a trade. There were no takers, in part, because of his surgically repaired back. Cotchery underwent surgery in February to repair a herniated disc, and still hadn't been cleared to practice.

Cotchery, a former 1,000-yard receiver, apparently was unhappy with his role as the No. 3 receiver, behind Burress and Santonio Holmes. He felt a backup role again would hinder his ability to land a contract extension; he was due to make $1.8 million this season from the Jets.

Ryan said Cotchery was in the team's plans and would've made the roster.

There wasn't a big market for Cotchery, who settled for a backup role with the Steelers. He will be the third receiver, behind Hines Ward and Mike Wallace. He could drop to fourth when Emmanuel Sanders returns from a foot injury

JCo SHUT THE HELL UP ALREADY :angry:

Jerricho Cotchery says he didn't fit in with Jets

Published: Sunday, August 14, 2011, 7:04 PM Updated: Sunday, August 14, 2011, 7:10 PM

By Jenny Vrentas/The Star-Ledger The Star-Ledger

Follow 0

Share close Google Buzz Digg Stumble Upon Fark Reddit

Email

Print

William Perlman/The Star-LedgerJerricho Cotchery requested his release from the Jets and signed with the Steelers.

After seven seasons with the Jets, Jerricho Cotchery reported today to his new team, the Steelers.

The receiver, who asked the Jets for a trade or release after last season, addressed the media for the first time since the Jets granted his request Aug. 4.

"It was time for a change, time for a change of scenery for myself and the organization as well," Cotchery told The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. "It was time to move on. Future-wise I didn’t really see myself fitting in.

"People on the outside looking in might say, well you been there that long, you’re part of the future, but I didn’t really see it that way. I think it would have been beneficial for both sides to move on."

Cotchery, who reportedly signed a one-year deal with the Steelers, called it a "fresh start." He visited Pittsburgh last week, and said "I felt like this is the place for me, this is the type of atmosphere I need to be in."

The Jets could not trade Cotchery, because he had offseason back surgery and began camp on the physically unable to perform list. He had been due $1.8 million in base salary with the Jets.

Cotchery, 29, felt underappreciated by the organization, The Star-Ledger reported at the time of his surprising release. He was a starter for four seasons but fell behind Santonio Holmes and Braylon Edwards on the depth chart last year. The Jets re-signed Holmes to a long-term deal and also brought in Plaxico Burress, indicating Cotchery would again be the No. 3 receiver.

Coach Rex Ryan and quarterback Mark Sanchez both said they asked Cotchery to stay. After his release, the Jets signed 15-year veteran Derrick Mason.

The Steelers, though, already have two entrenched starting receivers: Hines Ward and Mike Wallace. Asked what role his new team told him he would fill, Cotchery told The Post-Gazette "they need a veteran guy to come in and make some plays."

"I’m just here to help the team get to the Super Bowl and winning it," Cotchery said. "You’re always a contender, as the Steelers are every year, legitimately. My goal is to come in here and make some plays and win that Super Bowl.

"That’s exactly why I came here – to play for a Super Bowl contender. And the atmosphere. The way they handle their guys over here, it’s something I need at this time. It’s the best atmosphere for me to thrive in as a player and as a person."

"That’s exactly why I came here – to play for a Super Bowl contender. And the atmosphere. The way they handle their guys over here, it’s something I need at this time. It’s the best atmosphere for me to thrive in as a player and as a person."

The Jets aren't superbowl contenders?

The Jets aren't superbowl contenders?

You know, its funny. It was all the rage these past couple weeks to complain about Jets fans dissing former players. Well, its not like the players are innocent. Here's a clear case of a guy passive-aggressively dissing his former team, one that employed him for many years and made him wealthy doing it, from a player who was supposedly "classy".

I'm only loyal to the green & white and no individual player. F*** Cotchery. He's on an AFC rival now.

Translation:

"I thought I was a starting WR in this league, and the Jets didn't think so. So, I requested a trade, but not even a team like the 49ers thought I was a #2. I couldn't crawl back to my old team, so I had to go to the Steelers, and be the same 4th option I would have been in NY."

Translation:

"I thought I was a starting WR in this league, and the Jets didn't think so. So, I requested a trade, but not even a team like the 49ers thought I was a #2. I couldn't crawl back to my old team, so I had to go to the Steelers, and be the same 4th option I would have been in NY."

Or: I'm a competitive individual and want to play me some football. i want touches. I want to work to be the best and to put myself in a situation where I'm not forgotten behind a thug who's been in jail and hasn't caught a pass in two years. i'm better than that and i want to prove it!

He didn't go the Kellen Clemens route IE: just pay me and you can piss on my head and fart in my locker if you want. Good for Cotch and screw anybody who doesn't love the balls he's shown in fighting for a chance to be a bigger part of the NFL. It's the same mentality that made him catch a crucial pass with a herniated disc and a groin tear while hopping on one leg. The Jets are not the good guys here. But just keep bowing and nodding and agreeing with everything they do. It's easier than admitting a mistake.

I think it's pretty obvious that Cotchery misjudged the market. Wonder what he would've said if the Titans signed him rather than the Steelers? Would he still've been looking to join a contender?

Thing is, I think the Jets preferred Mason to Cotchery, and Cotch would've been moved one more rung down the ladder when they signed him. Maybe that's what really pushed JC to the point of wanting to be released.

Or: I'm a competitive individual and want to play me some football. i want touches. I want to work to be the best and to put myself in a situation where I'm not forgotten behind a thug who's been in jail and hasn't caught a pass in two years. i'm better than that and i want to prove it!

He didn't go the Kellen Clemens route IE: just pay me and you can piss on my head and fart in my locker if you want. Good for Cotch and screw anybody who doesn't love the balls he's shown in fighting for a chance to be a bigger part of the NFL. It's the same mentality that made him catch a crucial pass with a herniated disc and a groin tear while hopping on one leg. The Jets are not the good guys here. But just keep bowing and nodding and agreeing with everything they do. It's easier than admitting a mistake.

What part of it was MUTUAL dont people seem to understand?

Cotch is a 29 year old, mediocre possession type wide receiver that works his balls off. Especially after the injuries and surgeries, no team, including the Jets, are going to rely on him to be a #2...He wasnt really ever that talented or athletically gifted to begin with. You can understand his frustration with the organization having more faith in Plax, who just spent 2 years in jail than Cotch, but the reality of the situation is that if both are healthy, Cotch, for as much as I love him as a player, is not 1/5 the offensive threat that plax is. In fact, Plax at 80% would probably be an upgrade talent-wise over Cotch at 100%. Once you factor in the injuries to Cotch...Making him a #2 when guys like Plax are on the open market and want to play for you would have been stupid.

So, the Jets would have loved to have Cotch back as a #4/ insurance guy on the roster. But the reality is we had just signed plax, had drafted a promising young guy in the 5th round we'd like to develop and were closing in on Derrick Mason. Cotch didn't want to be in that role, because he is a competitor and thinks he can do better. The Jets granted his agent permission to seek a trade, and later his request to be released.

The Jets had no plans on making him a starter. Cotch had no plans on remaining on the Jets if he couldn't be a starter. Doesn't get much more clear cut then that.

I think it's pretty obvious that Cotchery misjudged the market. Wonder what he would've said if the Titans signed him rather than the Steelers? Would he still've been looking to join a contender?

Thing is, I think the Jets preferred Mason to Cotchery, and Cotch would've been moved one more rung down the ladder when they signed him. Maybe that's what really pushed JC to the point of wanting to be released.

Add on to the fact that Kerley would probably be competing with him for some time as well at the 4... and was getting a leg up considering he's a rookie drafted by the current regime that the current regime would like to develop... Oh, and also considering that Kerley's in camp, and Cotch was sitting out on the PUP...

I think Cotchery saw himself being pushed out and made the idea of leaving mutual. He's not an idiot, and even the drafting of Kerley could be seen as a sign the Jets were looking to replace him. They want a WR who would be happy to be in a reduced role (well that'd be huge for Kerley this early) as a #3 WR. So basically, Cotchery misread the market, but the decision to test the market was probably mutual.

Hopefully he does well and gets paid, because he's a good player. The NFL machine will churn on anyway, so hopefully he finds himself another solid contract.

There's a good chance we wouldn't have picked up Mason if Cotch didn't ask for release or trade. He requested it at the end of last season before we signed Plax OR Mason. It's not because he was butthurt over them signing Plax. It's because he's not a legit #2 receiver on a team as competitive as ours.

The Jets are not the good guys here.

Yeah, what a bunch of pricks. How dare they comply with Cotchery's request to be released!? They are definitely in the wrong. They should have forced him to stay and warm the bench.

Archived