Plax impresses

Larz

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- Plaxico Burress' days of R & R are over -- rust and rehab, that is.

After more than two years away from football, and another two weeks of treatment for a sprained ankle, Burress participated Wednesday in his first full practice session since signing with the New York Jets.

Burress participated in 12 of 21 first-team reps, making it through the 2-hour, 45-minute practice with no apparent setbacks -- and his confidence level at a pre-prison level. He said he still considers himself one of the best wide receivers in the NFL.

New York Jets: Training camp

nfl_a_rex12_203.jpg Here's all your news from Jets camp:

Jets Center » Blog » Photos »

"I know what I'm capable of doing. ... I've been away for two years," he said after practice. "They use that. I just turned 34, and all those things. None of those things matter. I believe I'm still one of the best receivers competing and I'm not going to lose that mindset. My mindset is to go out and dominate one-on-ones."

Until Wednesday, Burress had participated in only four team reps, limited by an ankle injury that was slow to heal. Finally, the Jets decided to shut him down for a few days, not taking him to Houston for Monday night's preseason opener.

The strategy seemed to work, as Burress proclaimed himself healthy, saying he was able to run and cut with no problems. The only problem, according to coach Rex Ryan, was that Burress didn't see more action. At times, he was a decoy or used on the backside of the play. Other times, he was blanketed by Darrelle Revis or Antonio Cromartie.

"I wish we got him the ball a few more times," Ryan said, smiling -- sort of. "I was like you guys: He's out there, let's throw it to him."

Quarterback Mark Sanchez threw only one pass to Burress, a 5-yard hitch that he turned into a first down on a third-and-7 play.

"I've run a few of those in my day," said Burress, who missed the 2009 and 2010 seasons while serving time for illegal weapons possession.

In one-on-one drills, Burress made a one-handed, circus catch over a rookie cornerback named Julian Posey. Burress fell to the ground, coming up with a grass stain on his left shoulder. Considering everything he has experienced, it had to be a special moment.

The moments will keep coming for Burress. On Sunday night, he's expected to make his Jets debut against the Cincinnati Bengals. It will come at the New Meadowlands Stadium, which used to be Giants Stadium, where he enjoyed so many memorable days before accidentally shooting himself in the thigh at a Manhattan nightclub in November 2008.

Plaxico In Photos

ny_a_plax01_65.jpg With Plaxico Burress joining the Jets, let's look back on the receiver's career with the Giants and Steelers. Photo gallery photo.png

Ryan said there's "no question" that Burress will suit up. To which Burress remarked, "I don't see why I shouldn't be full-go."

The only thing Burress didn't do Wednesday was the two-minute drill at the end of practice, but the entire starting receiving corps sat out. Ryan wanted to give some reps to the backups.

The Jets signed Burress to a one-year, $3 million contract to replace Braylon Edwards, who eventually left via free agency to sign with the San Francisco 49ers. They cut the popular Jerricho Cotchery and replaced him with Derrick Mason, giving the Jets a potentially formidable 1-2-3 punch with Santonio Holmes.

"From a receiving standpoint," Burress said, "we have three guys who can pretty much do it all."

Now the question becomes, can three accomplished wideouts -- all of whom have been the No. 1 receiver in the past -- co-exist with each other? That will be vital to the Jets' success on offense.

The old Denver Broncos had the Three Amigos. Will the Jets have the Three Egos?

"We all want to win a championship and when you want to win a championship, don't check your ego at the door, leave it at home," said Mason, who doesn't anticipate any problems.

Mason, for one, said he has to "do a better job of putting my needs aside." In the past, his focus was to produce big numbers. That, he said, no longer is a priority because "I've done it all and I've seen it all." The ring is the thing, as far as he's concerned.

Burress won a Super Bowl ring with the Giants, but he, too, claimed to be on board with the team approach. For now, he's glad to be finished with his rehab. Burress said he was blown away by the intensity of the rehab program set up by the team's medical staff. He talked about walking around with a "frozen ankle."

Barring a setback, Burress will get to show the world Sunday night what he believes in his heart -- that he still can be a premier player.

"It's one of those days," he said, "that I've been waiting a long time for."

It will come at the New Meadowlands Stadium, which used to be Giants Stadium, where he enjoyed so many memorable days before accidentally shooting himself in the thigh at a Manhattan nightclub in November 2008.

No, you idiot. NM stadium was never Giants stadium.

Sounds like he had 1 play for 7 yards. But its good he got on the field and completed his first practice.

Its good that he might be suited up for the 2nd pre-season game. That's a lot of progress. But I would be more interested in doing whatever it takes to ensure he is on the field for all 16 games of the regular season and all the way through playoffs!

He said he still considers himself one of the best wide receivers in the NFL. "I know what I'm capable of doing. ... I've been away for two years," he said after practice. "They use that. I just turned 34, and all those things. None of those things matter. I believe I'm still one of the best receivers competing and I'm not going to lose that mindset. My mindset is to go out and dominate one-on-ones."

On Sunday night, he's expected to make his Jets debut against the Cincinnati Bengals. Barring a setback, Burress will get to show the world Sunday night what he believes in his heart -- that he still can be a premier player. "It's one of those days," he said, "that I've been waiting a long time for."

Just reading this article has me amped for not only Plaxico Burress himself, but also for the potential possibilities of our Jets offense if Burress can return to previous form. Especially our red zone offense. I honestly believe he's on the verge of turning heads this up coming season. I don't believe Burress is setting himself up for failure either. If he truly feels he's still one of the best WR's around... He has to mean it. He must know he's on the verge of doing big things this year. Actions speak louder than words, but from the sounds of it... Plaxico Burress seems to be extremely confident in his bodys ability to dominate the rest of the league. I cant wait to see Plax take the field.

Just reading this article has me amped for not only Plaxico Burress himself, but also for the potential possibilities of our Jets offense if Burress can return to previous form. Especially our red zone offense. I honestly believe he's on the verge of turning heads this up coming season. I don't believe Burress is setting himself up for failure either. If he truly feels he's still one of the best WR's around... He has to mean it. He must know he's on the verge of doing big things this year. Actions speak louder than words, but from the sounds of it... Plaxico Burress seems to be extremely confident in his bodys ability to dominate the rest of the league. I cant wait to see Plax take the field.

Of all the old guys talked about, he's the one I wanted the most. He's a plug & play type player. He's a big target who's going to improve Sanchez' completion percentage number, and he's going to move the chains and score points. He's going to draw attention away from Holmes, and he's still going to make plays. The Jets have been trying to groom big WR's for years with little to no luck, maybe seeing one who can actually play out on the field will encourage them to draft one of them next year. That would be nice.

If he stays healthy, there's no reason Sanchez won't complete 60% (or more) of his passes this year. That Mason guy is pretty reliable, too.

• 4 weeks later...

Not only did Plaxico impress at times during the offseason, especially during our preseason week two game, but he also came through with a very productive game against the Cowboys this week. This could be a sign of great things to come. What Burress has done for Eli Manning in years past was something special. He was Eli's best friend and I still feel Eli missed Burress like crazy. Braylon Edwards was talented, but Plaxico Burress has a proven track record as being a top 5 WR; something that Braylon could never dream of being, which is a top 5 let alone top 10 talent.

I only became a true believer in the Burress signing, when I read a report in regards to Darrelle Revis raving about Burress after a practice, I remember exactly what Revis said about Burress, which was how he's never seen a WR, as big as Burress... With as much quickness off the line. Revis had no reason to lie. Revis is a leader of an elite defense, If Revis really thought Burress was that quick off the line, I knew right then and there, that Burress would dominate for us this up coming season. When I finally had a chance to see Plaxico take the field... He played outstanding, looked lights out, and took over our preseason show. He came to play.

Against the Dallas Cowboys? 4 receptions for 72 yards and a TD during his regular season debut? That's impressive, coming from a player who hasn't played a real NFL game since 11/16 of 2008, that's more than impressive; that's down right scary. From the looks of it, Plaxico is only getting his feet wet. I truly believe the best of Burress in green and white has yet to come.

It's only been one week, but as of right now, he's on pace for 64 catches, 1,152 yards, (18 yards per catch) and 16 TD's. I'm not saying that he'll have that type of season, but he's already shown us that type of talent/potential and overall production. Not only have we replaced Braylon Edwards with a deep threat in Burress, but we've also replaced him with a sure handed WR, one who can make plays as an X-Factor inside the red zone. I could care less what anyone has to say about Braylon, Plaxico Burress is a player who can dominate opposing CB's with the game on the line. He'll pick up alot of 1st downs this year. I'm loving the addition of Plaxico, and after watching what Burress has done for Eli Manning, I'm sure Sanchez feels the same way.

To make a long story short... The two times I've seen Burress take the field with the Jets, I've seen him give it his all. (1st preseason game and 1st regular season game). He's impressed both times.

Archived